• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nelson Agholor WR USC

gettlemanjack

Don't know if it was posted but from his nfl.com draft profile

SOURCES TELL US

"Right off the bat, his draft value has a ceiling because he's a slot receiver. At least that is how I see it. I don't think he has the speed to get open outside. He's a good value in the middle rounds, though, because of his return=game potential." -- NFC South scout

Wonder which team that was...

in his mock today, Mel Kiper has Agholor going #14, writing:

"I don't see Agholor as a reach at this point. He gets a little crowded out by some bigger names at WR in this class, but he's underrated and should be able to play right away"

http://www.espn.co.uk/american-football/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12695891/mel-kiper-jr-makes-picks-gm-every-nfl-team-2015-nfl-draft

People are talkin him up as a outside WR, while I still got him as a slot. Plus I believe his starting speed is "slow", it takes awhile to reach top end. He's currently red hot riser.

understandable as people have twice posted in this thread that his nfl.com profile (which is out and outdated), writes: "Right off the bat, his draft value has a ceiling because he's a slot receiver. At least that is how I see it. I don't think he has the speed to get open outside. He's a good value in the middle rounds, though, because of his return=game potential." -- NFC South scout (who may have never played WR nor have much specialty in scouting WRs)

However, as i posted on the 1st page of the thread: before the Combine, this former NCAA WR wrote:

Former CFB WR Jeff-LJ-Lloyd @ Jeff_LJ_Lloyd

The more I watch of Nelson Agholor the more I want clarify

his quickness off the snap as elite

Then, at the Combine, Agholor proved his starting speed is elite, only 2 WRs (Nelson and McBride) had a better 10 yard split (how fast you run the 1st 10 yds of your 40) than Agholor did:

3sigmaathlete.com Zach Whitman @zjwhitman 30m

Nelson Agholor tied for the best ten-yard split of the first WR

group at 1.53.

draftbreakdown.com Joe Marino @ TheJoeMarino 2h

So far I am most impressed with USC WR's Nelson Agholor 's

1.53 10-yard split.

CBnE0rrWEAAUOVL.jpg

He is often straight lazy off the line on running plays. Good blocker who finishes well once he gets there but you can know exactly what play is coming by watching him on the snap. I know that's easily correctable and not really a big deal but it annoyed me when I watched him. I'm also nitpicking because I love the rest of his game.

He is often straight lazy off the line on running plays. Good blocker who finishes well once he gets there but you can know exactly what play is coming by watching him on the snap. I know that's easily correctable and not really a big deal but it annoyed me when I watched him. I'm also nitpicking because I love the rest of his game.

I honestly had trouble finding weaknesses to his game. He will never be a top 5 receiver in the league but I could see him being similar to Maclin with longevity like Wayne. 

I honestly had trouble finding weaknesses to his game. He will never be a top 5 receiver in the league but I could see him being similar to Maclin with longevity like Wayne.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel about him. He is probably never going to be an elite WR, but he will be a dependable 8-10 year starter in the NFL. I see him having a career similar to Greg Jennings. He will make a Pro bowl or two and be around 900-1100 yards every year. The question is if that's worth a late 1st round pick. I know he's a perfect complement to Kelvin and he can play inside and outside, but it's hard to say a guy without real elite potential is worth a 1st. He does have very low bust potential and in the end I think that makes him worthy of pick 25 to me. My dream is to get him in the 2nd but that is quickly dissipating and we'll either have to take him at 25 or trade up in round 2 to get him.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel about him. He is probably never going to be an elite WR, but he will be a dependable 8-10 year starter in the NFL. I see him having a career similar to Greg Jennings. He will make a Pro bowl or two and be around 900-1100 yards every year. The question is if that's worth a late 1st round pick. I know he's a perfect complement to Kelvin and he can play inside and outside, but it's hard to say a guy without real elite potential is worth a 1st. He does have very low bust potential and in the end I think that makes him worthy of pick 25 to me. My dream is to get him in the 2nd but that is quickly dissipating and we'll either have to take him at 25 or trade up in round 2 to get him.

In this weak draft class I think a solid starter is what most teams with be drafting at the end of round 1. That's why Gurley will absolutely be the pick if he is there - he just has too much potential to pass up.

Outside of Gurley, all of the usual suspects at this point seem like solid starter potential despite the Huddle's strange obsession with guys like Strong, Collins, and Shaq. Same deal with almost all of the OTs in the first round.

That's why I'm hoping we draft and OT or Agholor in the first. I think they very well could be viewed as BPA picks despite not likely becoming perinneal pro bowlers and they fill massive and obvious needs. Outside of the top two receivers, Agholor's strengths fit this team better than any other receiver in this draft. Cam desperately needs a WR that can create separation and generate YAC.

For reference, in 2014 the Panthers were 30th in total YAC and 31st in YAC/Rec. Only the Bucs were behind the Panthers in both categories.

Love his intangibles as well. In every interview I have listened to of him the words that always pop up are "effort" and "preparation". That is a recipe for success in this league. 

He spent most "off days" while at USC working out with Kessler & Barkley, working routes/hands on the practice field. Effort and preparation will never be an issue with Nelson.

Gettlejack, that's odd about his 10 yard spilts, he's looks slow on tape. I did watch a few non hghlight clips and maybe he was winded/lazy. Still I truly don't put barley any stock in #s in underwear after months of training for them. I do know out of all the spots WR #s are value highest among scouts. He still my top WR in tier 3, even with the questions.

Gettlejack, that's odd about his 10 yard spilts, he's looks slow on tape. I did watch a few non hghlight clips and maybe he was winded/lazy. Still I truly don't put barley any stock in #s in underwear after months of training for them. I do know out of all the spots WR #s are value highest among scouts. He still my top WR in tier 3, even with the questions.

One writer I follow mentioned that his starts can be quite variable - sometimes fast and very difficult to cover (even against press coverage) but at other times lazy and slow. He attributed it to lapses in focus - mentioned that at times he looked to be reading coverages presnap rather to looking down the line when the ball was snapped. He tabbed the lazy starts as his biggest weakness but felt that could be coached up.

I'm sure that was something Phroel was paying close attention to down in Tampa. Im beginning to think he's a real option for us at 25 or as a trade up target in the top half of round 2. I'd prefer a starting LT with one of those pick but if that guy isn't available i'd be happy with Agholor. I'd rank him behind Cooper and White but slightly ahead of Parker based on fit (but I'd be thrilled with Parker too, who is probably more talented). I like those four and DGB (who won't be an option for the Panthers) far more than the next set of WRs (Smith Perriman Strong Mcbride Funchess Davis) but that's just my opinion.

Archived