• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Say it ain't so.... Joe...

Jeremy Igo

Huh? Been on app all day. Can't see answered posts.

Sonehow you marked your own post about our best lineman being from power conference schools as best answer.

Although it is both true and probably best answer, just thought it was funny you marked your own post.

How many small school linemen do you see playing in the NFL now vs.  DBs, WRs, etc. ? While I agree that every player should be scouted, I would be willing to bet that reserve OL in the SEC are better than  the All-Americans in FCS (I-AA).  I would not spend much time at Catawba College's spring game looking for a LT, if I were the Panthers.

However, there is a part of the scouting process that many don't think about.  We are (in a sense) recruiting the marginal, 7th/FA players so they will sign with us after the draft. We seem to spend a lot of time with that area, and it has paid off. 

It makes sense to play the odds and go with talent from big time programs, but that doesn't mean if a smaller school player is available at the right spot we should pass him up.

Besides, "big mean dudes" are the all the NFL has.  It's the nature of the game and workouts that guys get bigger naturally.  Big time schools just better prepare their players with top notch strength training programs.  Doesn't mean a CCU player can't develop physically, but may have a better fundamental skill set.

I think plenty of times teams draft on potential rather than skill. If a player has good technique but not so good physical talent he can be undervalued.

While Silatolu was a bust I feel that Kug was a bust because of injuries not talent. In fact we will never know if Kug could of been a nfl guard because he never made it on the field. You can't always project injuries when drafting a player.

Archived