• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Say it ain't so.... Joe...

Jeremy Igo

I think you can draft a small college guy as long as you don't invest a high pick on him. Silatolu was a problem because it was a second round not a 5th or 6th. Same with Kugbilla as a 3rd. Invest the high picks on talented skill positions and fill in with projects and small school projects as UDFAs or late rounders. After the 4th round, you are glad to find a contributor and ecstatic to find a starter like we did in Benwikere in the 5th. Gambling is fine as long as it is not with a high pick and you don't overvalue the size and minimize the experience and history.

IMO THE major reason Gman was hired was his long term experience in college and pro personnel depts. I believe he is the best judge of talent the Panthers have ever had. He has analyzed thousands of players at all positions and has developed a good sense of what traits translate best from college to the pros. Nobody is perfect, but I'm not about to second guess a draft choice just because he didn't go to a major conference school.

From Joe Person's latest.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/02/14/5515376/person-nfl-greg-hardy.html#storylink=cpy

Joe is dead on in that this is the type of player the front office would take a close look at in the past. However...

This is the mentality I want this organization to move away from. Small school offensive linemen who did well against inferior talent. Please please please don't waste a pick on these guys.

I just can't get with this sentiment, Jeremy, because this is exactly how you miss out on some gold nuggets that are out there. I am of the same mindset as Emory Hunt, Football Czar, who says that "traits translate" regardless of where you come from. If you notice his indepth analysis of receivers last time he gave reviews that had a "traits focus instead of level of competition focus".   Plenty of big time school prospects wash out and bust just as well when it comes to offensive linemen.  That is just the nature of the beast.

Archived