• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Say it ain't so.... Joe...

Jeremy Igo

From Joe Person's latest.

Coastal Carolina OT Chad Hamilton

Panthers GM Dave Gettleman has shown he’s willing to take a chance on a small-school lineman in a later round. And while Edmund Kugbila has been a bust, it shouldn’t stop the Panthers from scouting Hamilton, a durable player who missed one game in four seasons. Hamilton (6-3, 305) doesn’t have ideal size for a tackle, and could end up at guard in the NFL. But he led Coastal Carolina with 66 knockdowns in 2014, while allowing just two sacks in 443 pass attempts. Hamilton will be one of only two FCS offensive linemen in Indianapolis.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/02/14/5515376/person-nfl-greg-hardy.html#storylink=cpy

Joe is dead on in that this is the type of player the front office would take a close look at in the past. However...

This is the mentality I want this organization to move away from. Small school offensive linemen who did well against inferior talent. Please please please don't waste a pick on these guys.

Look at norwell. Undrafted maybe because of measurables. However he faced big time competition in college and big ten is mostly power football. It's not a big jump. I'd rather have someone who held up against good competition verse someone who destroyed inferior players. You don't have to work on technique when you're stronger than everyone. No more small school linemen.

Actually, this is where I think the change in scouting services is going to be important.

BLESTO concentrates on game performance rather than measurables. You could figure they would factor level of competition into that formula.

Few people ever seem to talk about that change, but it was made before last year's draft and we had arguably our best rookie class ever.

I actually believe that might have been a more important move than any of us realized at the time.

Archived