• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers March Expectations

Jeremy Igo

The only tackle i wouldn't mind having in free agency is Doug Free. We still have holes on the offensive line and i can see Gettleman bringing in a veteran and drafting a OT for the future. I don't think he will make the same mistake like last season but he will not overpay for any players. So this should be very interesting when free agency rolls around.

First week of free agency - You could possible pay $9,000,000 for a $7,000,000 player.

Third week of free agency -  You could possible pay $3,000,000 for a $4,000,000 player.

One $7,000,000 player could cost you the same as three $4,000,000 players.

Also the top free agents tend to receive more guaranteed money and longer contracts.  If this player doesn't live up to their contract you not only overpaid but it is more difficult to release the player.

With that being said I wouldn't be upset if we slightly overpaid for a LT.  Unfortunately there are other teams that might be willing to overpay more, especially those that have considerably more cap space then us.

While it is fun to look at the current list of UFAs and speculate it might be more productive to look at the players that have been cut by their current teams or will be in the very near future.

Some organizations keep the compensatory pick formula in mind when approaching free agency.  Whether or not DG is I have no idea.  Last years decisions would make you think so.

We have some money this year--Gettlemen's strategy was simple--the more you wait, the more the price drops.  He was like a guy after an auction bidding on the stuff that was unsold. 

I think Jeremy is basically right to watch past performance to predict future behavior---I do not expect DG to go all "Dumb and Dumber" with his suitcase full of money now.  He worked hard to get us in this shape, and he is not going to screw it up.

Gettlemen finds the perfect fit in the pile of players nobody here was even talking about.  I wonder how many posted "Super Bowl!" (the obligatory, sarcastic reaction to the signing of a player we were too dumb to know) when we signed:  Remmers?  Fozzy?  Norwell?  Glanton?  Brown?  You know, they could be key contributors to a Super Bowl team.  Build a franchise from the bottom up--DG.

you are far too rational for this interwebz site... 

Everyone will still freak out during that first week. 

"Gettledouche needs to get off his fat ass and sign some players!"

"Here comes 2-14"

"Everyone else is getting better!!!!"

"If we don't at least try to sign X player,I am done with Gettleman"

Kudos to you for trying to manage expectations. 

but all is well he eventually signed Roman Harper, oh that should ease everyone's minds.

:lol: Laughably predictable.

BOLD PREDICTION:

Upon doing nothing to address significant areas of need through the first two weeks of free agency, posters will become frustrated and concerned.

'L33t' posters will then respond with "it's only march brah" followed by "it's only April brah" and "it's only may brah" followed by the same posters breaking down and reaching their own state of frustration and board freakouts upon the realization that there are no players left to be had and the season will depend on byron bellesque players starting at crucial areas once more

Wait nothing about that is bold, that's what happens every year. Past is prologue, and all.

Ah well nevermind then.

DG is never going to be a big splash guy. (Unless, of course, he does a cannon ball in a pool.) Which means the huddle will get all bent out of shape, which means he's doing a great job.

Technically there is nothing that can be derived from anything he's said that would suggest this. People only believe this because it was Marty's (and Jerry's) MO but Gettleman has openly stated many times his belief in free agency and we've been linked to a number of players over the year who were hot commodities and we were simply outbid

Years of sitting on the sideline has led to Huddlers inventing reasons why having good players on your team is bad, very bad, in an effort to console themselves, which is why you see the all the pseudo-intellectual tropes about the evils of free agency on this board moreso than any other forum this time of year

Thankfully were a little better off financially this year and hopefully Richardson is willing to defer to Gettleman enough to let him use his money to improve the team over it's losing record from last year (even in spite of the terrible division we played in)

I don't know if I'd wager on that though

Technically there is nothing that can done derived from anything he's said that would suggest this. People only believe this because it was Marty's (and Jerry's) MO but Gettleman has openly stated many times his belief in free agency and we've been linked to a number of players over the year who were hot commodities and we were simply outbid

Years of sitting on the sideline has led to Huddlers try and invent reasons why having good players on your team is bad, very bad, in an effort to console themselves, which is why you see the all the pseudo-intellectual tropes about the evils of free agency on this board moreso than any other forum this time of year

Yep. Let's just sit back and do nothing while Byron Bell gets to start again and then try hyping him up so that we won't have to deal with the fact that he doesn't even belong in the league. "It's only week 1 brah"

Archived