• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers March Expectations

Jeremy Igo

As we sit in mid February, otherwise known as NFL no man's land, I thought it might be useful to take a look ahead to March and see what we can expect from Dave Gettleman. I think the best way to do that would be to take a look at the transactions from his two past seasons for the month of March, and in particular the free agent signings. 

March 27, 2013
Re-signed DT Dwan Edwards.

March 21, 2013
Re-signed CB Captain Munnerlyn to a one-year contract.
Signed S Mike Mitchell to a one-year contract.

March 19, 2013
Signed CB D.J. Moore.

March 9, 2013
Released CB Chris Gamble.

March 1, 2013
Released DT Ron Edwards.

March 20, 2014
Signed WR Jerricho Cotchery to a two-year contract.

March 18, 2014
Signed S Roman Harper to a two-year contract.

March 18, 2014
Re-signed LB Jason Williams and CB James Dockery.

March 18, 2014
Signed TE Mike McNeill to a two-year contract.

March 13, 2014
Released WR Steve Smith.

March 10, 2014
Re-signed FB Richie Brockel to a two-year contract
Re-signed OL Garry Williams to a one-year contract.

In both years, notice there are no signings during the first week of free agency. While many other teams are agreeing to terms and signing with free agents during the first week of free agency, the Panthers sit and wait. Mainly due to the lack of available funds to pay salary, but also partly due to Gettleman not wanting to over spend for marginal players. 

Notice in each year there was a significant free agency signing around the 20th of March (both at safety coincidentally). 10 days after the players became available, gauged interest, and let the dust settle. 

Even though the Panthers have a little more purse this offseason, I expect this pattern will continue. I don't expect the Panthers to make a significant free agent signing right away, as much as Panthers fans would love it. Instead, look for them to watch as other teams overpay. Instead, they will again sit back and wait for a bargain for an experience veteran at a position of need. 

I agree with you for the most part, but I think we might see one first wave signing.  Don't think we're going to sign an elite FA right away, but I think he may target one of the second tier guys early and hope to impress them with a solid offer hoping to avoid bidding wars once they become the best of whats available.  Target the 8/10 while all the guys are drooling over the 10/10.  Better than having to go home with a 5/10 at the end of the night.

Everyone will still freak out during that first week. 

"Gettledouche needs to get off his fat ass and sign some players!"

"Here comes 2-14"

"Everyone else is getting better!!!!"

"If we don't at least try to sign X player,I am done with Gettleman"

Kudos to you for trying to manage expectations. 

We have some money this year--Gettlemen's strategy was simple--the more you wait, the more the price drops.  He was like a guy after an auction bidding on the stuff that was unsold. 

I think Jeremy is basically right to watch past performance to predict future behavior---I do not expect DG to go all "Dumb and Dumber" with his suitcase full of money now.  He worked hard to get us in this shape, and he is not going to screw it up.

Gettlemen finds the perfect fit in the pile of players nobody here was even talking about.  I wonder how many posted "Super Bowl!" (the obligatory, sarcastic reaction to the signing of a player we were too dumb to know) when we signed:  Remmers?  Fozzy?  Norwell?  Glanton?  Brown?  You know, they could be key contributors to a Super Bowl team.  Build a franchise from the bottom up--DG.

Everyone will still freak out during that first week. 

"Gettledouche needs to get off his fat ass and sign some players!"

"Here comes 2-14"

"Everyone else is getting better!!!!"

"If we don't at least try to sign X player,I am done with Gettleman"

Kudos to you for trying to manage expectations. 

but all is well he eventually signed Roman Harper, oh that should ease everyone's minds.

I think he has the cap to be more balanced this year. Last year we got caught with little talent to go with that low pay. This year I expect one year deals but a few 2 maybe 3 year deals as well. I would love if we bolstered our ranks more in FA than the past few years that way we can draft BPA.

Make OT the exception this year, and put in a decent offer on a quality guy.

Then, if one of the WRs is still around (Torrey or even Cobb if his price drops), go for it.

Honestly the LT market is thin. There are going to be some avg players getting paid big like last year.

Archived