• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to do about Charles?

Jeremy Igo

Everyone has a value. 

Gett knows this. 

I love CJ but his value is not close to 20 mil, prob not even 15.  

10-12 sounds right. 

It's 20 million now because it was back loaded to poo, and he's been restructured a thousand times, which makes it worse.  His contract is 6 years/$76 million, which I think is a fair deal overall.  That is an average of 12.6/year.

It's 20 million now because it was back loaded to poo, and he's been restructured a thousand times, which makes it worse.  His contract is 6 years/$76 million, which I think is a fair deal overall.  That is an average of 12.6/year.

Yeah I  realize that.  

I am talking in terms of this years cap hit.  Can use up that much on a single player that isn't an MVP candidate 

Charles Johnson has the biggest cap hit on the Panthers roster this year at 20 million.

At first glance a restructure might be in order. But Johnson has already restructed twice in the past two seasons. Also, he is slated to be a UFA in 2017 so there isn't a whole lot of time left on his contract to play with in terms of restructure.

It seems like CJ is a good candidate for a contract extension. Although it seems like he should be older (to me at least), he is only 28 years old and has plenty left in the tank. Extending could lessen the cap hit this year and next year, turning his salary into a signing bonus and pro rating it over the life of the contract. Also it would make sure Charles is in a Panthers uniform for the next several seasons.

Thoughts?

I was thinking about making a thread on exactly this yesterday. Some of our contracts are just scary. Charles Johnson's cap number doubles to 20 million like you said. TD's cap number triples! I don't even understand why contracts would be structured like this. And Khalil's cap number rises substantially as well to almost 12 million.

Something has got to be done. We can't have 3 players cap number totaling 40 million when one of those isn't a franchise QB.

I think an extension would make sense.  You could covert his salaries for 2015 and 2016 into a signing bonus and he would get the money and our cap hit would be much less if we added 3 more years to the contract especially if the last one or 2 were voidable.  Things like roster bonuses are not typically guaranteed and would give us a ton of dead cap space unless we cut him in the next year or 2 which is unlikely. Gettleman likes the voidable years to spread out the cap hit  while limited the dead cap space money to just what was going to paid out in the voidable years if we cut him or he doesn't produce.

I really don't know what will be the best route with Chuck. He as some miles on him now even at his age. Can you really say with certainty that you get 3 to 4 more years of production fitting his salary? Does Gettlemen gamble and replace both CJ and Hardy with youth this season? Will be interesting to watch for sure.

Archived