• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to do about Charles?

Jeremy Igo

Obviously it makes more sense to keep Johnson over Hardy but at what cost?  Johnson is eating up a TON of cap space and a contract extension is a wise idea.  Would he be willing to just straight up take a pay cut?

No way in hell.  I mean, I don't think he's only money driven by any means, like Hardy is, but I don't see him taking a cut.  6 years/$76 million, isn't a terrible deal at all for CJ, IMO.  It was just back loaded to hell and back, then all the restructuring just added to it.

We can work around the cap hit this season with some of the dead money coming off the books.  I don't like a hit that high, but we can manage it now that we have a real GM and not Joe Person running the front office.

That said, if the Panthers feel good about his future/injuries, and he want's to give himself a little more long term stability, I say extend him, but try not to push the money too far back.  I don't support another restructure.

You have to extend him.  He is a blue chip at his position.  His performance last year was a little off but there are a number of things to attribute that to (Hardy situation, His Injury, Star's Missed Time).

When he is on his game, he is a top five 4-3 DE in the game.

CJ has been worth every penny of that contract in the sense that he has been a consistent and dominant force since signing - no post-contract letdown.  Keep him, and I have confidence that it will be done in a way that benefits both parties.

Seems inevitable.

How much dead money would come from a release? 

We have $14m in dead money associated with him that we are going to have to account for no matter what we do.

Cap hit:

If he stays -                 2015: $20m

2016: $15m

If he is restructured -   2015: $15.6m

2016:  $19.4m

If he is cut -                 2015: $14m

2016: 0

If he is June 1st cut -   2015: $10m

2016: $4m

If you designate him a June 1st cut you would save $10m in 2015 and $11m in 2016.  The question becomes can you replace his production and leadership for that amount?

Extension:

Currently CJ is scheduled to earn roughly $10m in 2015 and $11m in 2016, so $21m for 2 years.

Would he take $40m for 4 years instead with a $10m signing bonus?  If so his average cap hit for those 4 years would be around $13.5m a year.  Also it would probably be somewhat back loaded, 2015 would probably be around $10-12m and future years would go up from there.

Another option that could be used is to add voidable years to help spread out some of the cost, but that really just moves money down the line. 

I really have no idea how much of a discount CJ would be willing to keep to stay so it could be possible he would sign for less.  I'm sure others have a better idea of this then me.

CJ is underappreciated by many in the Huddle, but anyone that truly knows football---the Panthers in particular---knows how important he is to our success on the field. You have to extend that man. G-man and CJ will work out an extension because we need him, and he wants to be here.

Archived