• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to do about Charles?

Jeremy Igo

Charles Johnson has the biggest cap hit on the Panthers roster this year at 20 million.

At first glance a restructure might be in order. But Johnson has already restructed twice in the past two seasons. Also, he is slated to be a UFA in 2017 so there isn't a whole lot of time left on his contract to play with in terms of restructure.

It seems like CJ is a good candidate for a contract extension. Although it seems like he should be older (to me at least), he is only 28 years old and has plenty left in the tank. Extending could lessen the cap hit this year and next year, turning his salary into a signing bonus and pro rating it over the life of the contract. Also it would make sure Charles is in a Panthers uniform for the next several seasons.

Thoughts?

Charles Johnson has the biggest cap hit on the Panthers roster this year at 20 million.

At first glance a restructure might be in order. But Johnson has already restructed twice in the past two seasons. Also, he is slated to be a UFA in 2017 so there isn't a whole lot of time left on his contract to play with in terms of restructure.

It seems like CJ is a good candidate for a contract extension. Although it seems like he should be older (to me at least), he is only 28 years old and has plenty left in the tank. Extending could lessen the cap hit this year and next year, turning his salary into a signing bonus and pro rating it over the life of the contract. Also it would make sure Charles is in a Panthers uniform for the next several seasons.

Thoughts?

Seems inevitable.

How much dead money would come from a release? 

I've been thinking extension for a while.  Cap hit is way to big, but you don't want to lose him.  He's a beast, and very underrated.  Too bad it took a chunk of the season to get back close to 100%.  You could tell he wasn't himself the first several games.  

Archived