• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Passing on Greg Hardy - Here is why

Jeremy Igo

Why not throw this fuel out there.

Also according to Charlotte Observer, the Hornets had absolutely zero interest in signing Lance Stephenson.

That's fair.

I'd actually love for it to work out for Hardy to stay. Colorful characters make GameDay fun.

I just don't see it happening though. Everything I've been told within the Panthers org lines up with what is being reported.

That's fair.

I'd actually love for it to work out for Hardy to stay. Colorful characters make GameDay fun.

I just don't see it happening though. Everything I've been told within the Panthers org lines up with what is being reported.

Me neither. I think he was gone before this, and this made it even easier to let him walk.

But, I like to throw fuel on a fire

And as we've seen time and again, he's also very capable at putting himself in risky situations that put his future at risk.

Hardy is a wildcard, I'll give you that - but at some point you have to take chances with someone that talented if you ever want to win championships. 

Hardy is a wildcard, I'll give you that - but at some point you have to take chances with someone that talented if you ever want to win championships.

If it stopped at 'wild card' I could agree.

Hardy is well past 'wild card'. 'Loose cannon' is more like it.

It's a little easier to accept when you put it like that. I knew he was probably gone, but thought it was mostly for the criminal case and the Panthers trying to portray a certain image.

I just hate the fact that he's gonna walk and we're not getting anything in return for his production.

This organization has bad luck with great players leave for nothing. Julius Peppers, Steve Smith and now Greg Hardy. Who's next?

It is now being reported on NFL.com that the Panthers will not seek to sign Greg Hardy. 

There seems to be a lot of confusion and doubt as to why the Carolina Panthers will pass on trying to re-sign Greg Hardy. Casual observers tend to want to point to one reason or another, but as usual the decision is made up of more than one factor. 

Here is the reasoning, as I see it, in our favorite method of display... the pie chart. 

hardy-chart.jpg

COST

Believe it or not, signing Greg Hardy to a deal that would allow him to play in 2015 was always doubtful. Dave Gettleman decided to franchise Hardy for a season, hoping it would be enough to keep the Panthers competitive another season while he groomed a possible replacement (see selecting Kony Ealy in round 2). Greg Hardy's salary was never in the books for 2015. With contract negotiations looming for Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly, a long term big money deal for Hardy was a pipe dream from the start, 

PAST BEHAVIOR 

The Panthers felt greatly embarrassed by the situation around Greg Hardy and his domestic abuse case. Facilitated by the media, the damage the entire avoidable situation cost the Panthers brand last year was obvious. Seeing the Panthers logo on the national news for a month in association with domestic abuse did damage. After the incident, his strange training camp press conference, interesting tweets, non participation of workouts, god awful rap video, among other questionable acts aren't exactly what the team would have liked to have seen from Hardy. These things put together show an employer that maybe a lesson was not learned. 

FUTURE DOUBT

This is the "fool me once" dilemma. I don't think anyone could say with a straight face they are positive Greg Hardy will have no more issues in his future. A common comment heard about this is a "behavior clause" in his contract would remedy the problem. The issue is, these clauses do not repair brand damage that is done, which in the long term can be much more costly to and organization. They also do not repair the embarrassment and distraction a team is forced to deal with in the media. 

COURT OUTCOME

The court outcome here is irrelevant. Mainly because this entire situation was avoidable. All that is required to stay out of the national spotlight for negative reasons is good judgement. 

Yes, people make mistakes. Should Hardy be given a second chance if found innocent? Sure, but not on the Panthers squad. That ship has sailed. 

Great write-up. Agree with everything you said.  Now we can all move on.

Archived