• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Passing on Greg Hardy - Here is why

Jeremy Igo

I'm more concerned that 2/3 of his sacks in 2013 came in only 3 games and he was a complete non factor in about 7 others.

Then again I could just be trying to justify the idea of not having him on the squad next year...

Who knows.

Yep....his highlight year was basically the type people routinely bashed Pepppers for

Yes, people make mistakes. Should Hardy be given a second chance if found innocent? Sure, but not on the Panthers squad. That ship has sailed. 

Hardy doesn't really strike me as a guy that learns from his mistakes.

Now that he's out from under the threat of prosecution, I think his behavior might turn into a case of "you ain't seen nothin' yet", especially if he signs with a team that has a fast and loose locker room atmosphere.

Pretty much! While people make mistakes, Hardy's have been at the worst times, and they have been completely avoidable...

I loved him when he played here, but the other side of the coin is that he's a dangerous investment. No team is going to want to get pulled into a long contract where he could stand another chance of missing significant time on the field.

I respectfully disagree that with your comment that's said "no team is going to want to get pulled into a long contract where he could stand another chance of missing significant time on the field." Just watch there will be a team lined up to do just that. It just won't be the Panthers. I am okay with whatever Gett decides to do. He has done a pretty good job so far and I trust his judgement on this matter. As a fan of Hardy, I will miss him if he doesn't return but I will understand that the Panthers and Hardy are both doing what's best for themselves. I just hope that he ends up in the AFC and far away from any NFC South teams.

What would motivate Hardy to sign that?

He's a free agent and can choose his own destination.

i realize that. but the Panthers wouldnt have to let on that this was their intention. though i'll admit that it would be a shitty thing to do, even to Greg Hardy, not to mention its out of character for this organization. 

idk. im just clinging to the hope that if Hardy is really gone as a Panther, that we at least get something for him, specifically that we get to decide where he goes so he doesnt end up inside our division. i would even be okay with it if he signs elsewhere in the NFC, so long as its not Atlanta, NO, or Tampa.

I respectfully disagree that with your comment that's said "no team is going to want to get pulled into a long contract where he could stand another chance of missing significant time on the field." Just watch there will be a team lined up to do just that. It just won't be the Panthers. I am okay with whatever Gett decides to do. He has done a pretty good job so far and I trust his judgement on this matter. As a fan of Hardy, I will miss him if he doesn't return but I will understand that the Panthers and Hardy are both doing what's best for themselves. I just hope that he ends up in the AFC and far away from any NFC South teams.

I will respectfully acquiesce to your reasonable response good sir!  

I totally forgot that this is the NFL we're talking about!  I'm sure there are several teams desperate enough to throw several buckets of money at him!  C'mon Oakland!!!

i realize that. but the Panthers wouldnt have to let on that this was their intention. though i'll admit that it would be a shitty thing to do, even to Greg Hardy, not to mention its out of character for this organization.

idk. im just clinging to the hope that if Hardy is really gone as a Panther, that we at least get something for him, specifically that we get to decide where he goes so he doesnt end up inside our division. i would even be okay with it if he signs elsewhere in the NFC, so long as its not Atlanta, NO, or Tampa.

If you're holding out hope for anything more than a compensatory draft pick, I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed.

It seems contradictory to talk about his past actions, possibly future behavior, bad reputation, ect on one side, then say he's going to get offered a truckload of money in free agency that we can't match.

Given everything that's happened and the fact that he hasn't played football for a year I'm not so sure teams will be lining up to throw $100 million contracts at him. I doubt we re-sign him but I wouldn't be surprised if his market is soft and another team gets him at a nice discount.

I get it.  I really do.

The problem is our competition doesn't seem to care how they get better than us, stay better than us, or what players they use to achieve that.

The falcons, bucs, and saints will trip over themselves to see us get worse while they get better.

Well not the saints cuz they aint gots no doll hairs haha.

Archived