• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Passing on Greg Hardy - Here is why

Jeremy Igo

The main thing I care about and can live with is the cost part.  If Hardy is guilty then so be it and I am fine if the Panthers move on from him.  If he is found innocent then I could only accept the fact the Panthers moved on based on the cost part, and if he was never part of the long term plan.  Otherwise, if the Panthers didn't try to fit him in long term mainly due the other reasons the b.s.  (again only if found innocent).  

Motorcycle at 100mph and a pingpong table full of alcohol come to mind too.

I had a Motorcycle a few years ago.  Before I sold it, I took it up to a 100 once on a deserted stretch of road.  While it was somewhat exhilarating and scary at the same time, the thought of trying to take a picture would have scared the crap out of me.  :)

Before the initial accussation, it was still evident the guy had some screws loose so the trial may justify that he's not a scumbag (even though it's a dismissal and not a "not-guilty" verdict), but he's still somewhat of a nutjob.  A really good DE too but just not worth the Panther's energy or concern anymore. 

It is rather scary how many Huddlers fail to see this logic.  They speak with no regard for character, cap, or common sense.  They assume Hardy=winning.  He was on the roster this year, was he not?  How many sacks did he get?  But, but......exactly.  at the end of that "but" you will find what Hardy is to this team, a dangling, mass of crap that cost this team $13m to flush.  See ya.

Of course I've been saying it before last free agency period.  The real reason why the Panthers aren't going to re-sign Hardy, is because they never intended to re-sign him from the get go.  It was a rental year, aka Julius Peppers style.  That is why I said when we tagged him, it was a complete waste of money.  If the Panther really intended to bring Hardy back, they would have locked him up last off season instead of tagging him.  Hardy was always after top dollar, and I knew from the get go the Panthers weren't going to give him that with Cam's contract coming up and so on.

So in the end, they were never looking to give him a long term deal, and we missed out in getting Jared Veldheer.

I'm more concerned that 2/3 of his sacks in 2013 came in only 3 games and he was a complete non factor in about 7 others.

Then again I could just be trying to justify the idea of not having him on the squad next year...

Who knows. 

We had the best pass rush in the league in 2013.  There were very few instances, if any, when Hardy was a non factor... even when he was getting double teamed - and in some instances, triple teamed.

It's not all about sacks.  He had a poo ton of pressures and QB hits too... near the top of the league IIRC.

He was also the best DE we had at playing the run.  After Hardy finally broke out, he allowed us to do quite a bit on defense.

Archived