• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Passing on Greg Hardy - Here is why

Jeremy Igo

I get it and I agree with the logic of letting him go...

I don't necessarily agree on one point... I think fans are savvy enough to understand that Hardy's actions don't "degrade the brand" of the Panthers. At least not last season...  Hardy's actions were his own, and the Panthers were not condoning them (even though we're still not sure if he's guilty) they were just letting the court play out...

Now... if he's convicted and the Panthers chose then to sign him, yeah... it could affect the brand...

I agree that it is Hardy's image that is spoiled the most.  It does degrade the team some, but not enough to completely cut him. 

What if we could sign Hardy to a vet minimum for another year to see if he has changed?  The contract would have to be structured to take care of off field extra curricula.

I believe it was on one of the threads but if hes found guilty, he still gets suspended 6 games. That too may play a factor on why carolina doesnt resign him and which team actually does.

NFLPA will literally jump into Goodell's mouth and rip him apart from the inside out if they suspend him again

He has no cap figure because he won't be playing for us.  Had we signed him to a long term contract or tagged him again, we would have had to use a lot of cap space, so the cap space that we would have used is now free to use on other players. 

So if I don't buy a BMW I am freeing up money?  Maybe if you are starting from the assumption that they would sign him and have already done the math to see his cap figure based upon a theoretical contract. However, the team wasn't going to keep him even before this fiasco.

I'm thinking that teams utterly desperate for a pass rush, like the Falcons, just might.

There are other teams that are just as desperate for a pass rush that have more cap space.  The Bengals for example.  Not that the Falcons couldn't make some moves, but I see Cincy as a more likely destination than Atlanta.

NFLPA will literally jump into Goodell's mouth and rip him apart from the inside out if they suspend him again

Not an accurate statement at all,

Hardy was NOT suspended last season and was PAID his full salary.....not to mention that the Commissioners list was a "voluntary" placement.

Therefore, he would NOT be suspended "again" as you say.

Hardy would be suspended WITHOUT pay for 6 games under the existing rules and CBA.

Nothing the NFLPA could do about it.

First, LOL at people measuring a DE purly on sacks, Hardy is one the BEST run defenders in the league.

Second, this is why we'll never win a super bowl.   Mediocrity.  Hardy said he'd play for peanuts, but who really knows.  I think if he's found not guilty it's a really bad idea, especially if he'd take a one year prove it deal.

He got screwed because of the Ray Rice thing and also how redicuoulsy stupid the NC court system is when handling a "she said" court case.   The man is usually instantly guilty.  

The team didn't stand by him, but was perfectly OK for a decade of letting Steve Smith knock people out in training camp and act like a moron on the field.  I get the Hardy thing was WAY more national that Smith's actions, but it's still pretty hypocritical.

I guess I'm not surprised, Jerry has always wanted this bible belt mentality of a perfectly pure team (minus Smith obviously) while other teams take chances on players with issues and end up being successful (not always though, I know).    We may regret this choice, for years, especially when the Falcons sign him and he's dominating Cam twice a year (potentially).  

First, LOL at people measuring a DE purly on sacks, Hardy is one the BEST run defenders in the league.

Second, this is why we'll never win a super bowl. Mediocrity. Hardy said he'd play for peanuts, but who really knows. I think if he's found not guilty it's a really bad idea, especially if he'd take a one year prove it deal.

He got screwed because of the Ray Rice thing and also how redicuoulsy stupid the NC court system is when handling a "she said" court case. The man is usually instantly guilty.

The team didn't stand by him, but was perfectly OK for a decade of letting Steve Smith knock people out in training camp and act like a moron on the field. I get the Hardy thing was WAY more national that Smith's actions, but it's still pretty hypocritical.

I guess I'm not surprised, Jerry has always wanted this bible belt mentality of a perfectly pure team (minus Smith obviously) while other teams take changes on players with issues and end up being successful (not always though, I know). We may regret this choice, for years, especially when the Falcons sign him and he's dominating Cam twice a year (potentially).

So far EVERYTHING is speculative so slow down the bus a bit.

And I think the team stood by Hardy the best they could. There was a media frenzy over this. They allowed him to play until the media forced their hand. They allowed Hardy full access to the facility to work out. By all accounts, Hardy didn't take advantage of that and instead was in Miami working out and making some pretty shitty music.

whats gonna suck is, if hardy is found innocent and not retained by carolina, carolina will be looked at as the bad guy from the media. its a lose lose situation

Which is why, I think we should take a one year prove it deal (this is if Hardy puts his money where his mouth is and takes this).  

If Hardy walks away from his trial unscathed, the NFL and the Panthers both have some apologies to make.

And here's to hoping Greg Hardy learned something from this experience as well, although he (gasp!!!) continues to tweet, (oh, the humanity!) did interviews and (horrors!!!) tried to do a hip-hop vid. Seriously, I do hope his future endeavors in the NFL are successful regardless where he plays as well as his personal life...

Archived