• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Passing on Greg Hardy - Here is why

Jeremy Igo

Well, we do get at least one thing in return.  We get a significant amount of cap space freed up, and that is not a small thing. 

He was on a one year deal in 2014. He doesn't free up any cap space as he has no salary and therefor no cap figure attached.

Unstand this logic, but we need to think really carefully about letting one of the only two players in franchise history with a 15 sack season walk... there are only so many people on the planet capable of that.

Man they care more about an image. I understand the financial side. But outside of this incident he hasn't done much of anything to me that's questionable. But you know how some people get, there scared of what they don't understand or relate to.

I actually agree with this analysis. The larger part of this pie is "Cost" which is actually why my argument was that they would bring back Greg. Because of all of this drama, Carolina could get Greg at a cheaper price...

The hidden blessing in this is that we made the playoffs this year and our young talent got a chance prove that we can succeed without Greg. So there is no risk (cost factor) in not signing Greg again.

At this point, we should have great confidence in DG's drafting process. I fully expect us to draft a DE in the first 3 rounds.

I'm more concerned that 2/3 of his sacks in 2013 came in only 3 games and he was a complete non factor in about 7 others.

Then again I could just be trying to justify the idea of not having him on the squad next year...

Who knows.

Good DEs take advantage of bad o-lines.

But you can't just Guage his impact simply based on sack numbers. He did a lot for this team.

But we also have Luke and Cam up for extensions and you have to make decisions. I get it from that point of view

I get it and I agree with the logic of letting him go...

I don't necessarily agree on one point... I think fans are savvy enough to understand that Hardy's actions don't "degrade the brand" of the Panthers. At least not last season...  Hardy's actions were his own, and the Panthers were not condoning them (even though we're still not sure if he's guilty) they were just letting the court play out...

Now... if he's convicted and the Panthers chose then to sign him, yeah... it could affect the brand...

He was on a one year deal in 2014. He doesn't free up any cap space as he has no salary and therefor no cap figure attached.

He has no cap figure because he won't be playing for us.  Had we signed him to a long term contract or tagged him again, we would have had to use a lot of cap space, so the cap space that we would have used is now free to use on other players. 

Archived