• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lesson Learned

Jeremy Igo

if he had scored it wouldn't have even gone down as the greatest play on that drive. The score wouldn't have been anything special, but at least they would have won. No reason not to try running it at least once or twice from the 1 before getting cute.

Well, you couldn't run it on second and third down and risk getting stopped both times with only 1 timeout, the game would be over if not gotten on either of those runs.  The options for the play calls were either Pass-Option-Option, Run-Pass-Option, or heaven forbid pass-pass-pass.  I don't think the last one was even an option, so you can really see their line of thinking.

I know that I'm in the minority, like definitely, 100% sure, but after rethinking this, the decision to throw wasn't necessarily the worst call in the world.  If you honestly have 3 downs and 1 timeout, presumably, 1 play will be a run, 1 will be a pass, and the last will be either or (presumably the 4th down call where time on the clock has zero affect on them one way or another).  If you play aggressive passing on first down and fail, you have both 3rd and 4th down with the patriots guessing because realistically, both options are available for both plays.  The biggest problem to me was was Russel Wilson staring down his reciever on the play.  As much as people say the Seahawks lost the game, honestly, you have to give credit to the Patriots defense for stepping up with the game on the line.

100% agree - in hindsight it wasn't the right call but it certainly wasn't the worst call in the world based on exactly what you said. Props to Butler for great awareness and coming up huge when it mattered the most. Helluva play. 

It was stupid because it didn't work. If it had, then Seattle and Wilson would have been geniuses.

The problem with this default stance people take in defense of the play is they assume the passing play has the same amount of risk as a run play. It doesn't. There is much more risk throwing the ball especially on the one yard line where the playing field is so small.

It was only second down. They had three tries to get it in and should have chosen the least risky means of doing it. QB sneak or Marshawn off tackle.

The play call was high risk, unnecessary, and dumb. As a result, they paid the price.

Hindsight and all, but I still don't understand why they called the play they did with the read being what it was, if you are going to pass it there...

Even without knowing the result there, my natural inclination would be to run a hook/flat route combination to the outside. That way, you're not throwing into all that trash in the middle and have more space to make a play or throw it away.

Carroll said himself that they were in their goalline package so that's why they took the shot... If they're in their goal line package, why are you throwing into all those bodies in the middle?

The problem with this default stance people take in defense of the play is they assume the passing play has the same amount of risk as a run play. It doesn't. There is much more risk throwing the ball especially on the one yard line where the playing field is so small.

It was only second down. They had three tries to get it in and should have chosen the least risky means of doing it. QB sneak or Marshawn off tackle.

The play call was high risk, unnecessary, and dumb. As a result, they paid the price.

You make a valid point.  I don't know I would thrown it into the middle of field at that juncture.  I would have looked for a pass on the outside where either the receiver could get the ball or nobody would have. 

As for the quarterback sneak I don't think Wilson is stout enough to create space like that, I think I would sent him on a boot leg around the end which they really didn't stop all day.

I would have done the traditional Lynch over the tackle. You know the kind of play Shula would have called in that situation.

Maybe Wilson thought his string of magical plays would continue. After all is anyone more lucky than he is most times.

You make a valid point. I don't know I would thrown it into the middle of field at that juncture. I would have looked for a pass on the outside where either the receiver could get the ball or nobody would have.

As for the quarterback sneak I don't think Wilson is stout enough to create space like that, I think I would sent him on a boot leg around the end which they really didn't stop all day.

I would have done the traditional Lynch over the tackle. You know the kind of play Shula would have called in that situation.

Maybe Wilson thought his string of magical plays would continue. After all is anyone more lucky than he is most times.

A pass in the corner of the end zone to 13 where only he could reach it I could understand a bit more.

Archived