• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lesson Learned

Jeremy Igo

I think in the back of their minds (coaching staff/playcaller) they were trying to force/enforce the story line that Russell Wilson is an elite QB that marches down the field, puts teams on his back, and wins super bowls. That is the story they want; not the we'd be nothing without Marshawn story line. Throwing that TD makes Wilson the man and maybe limits Lynch's leverage for a contract extension. Throwing that pick does the opposite. Good luck with the contract talks, Seattle.

I think in the back of their minds (coaching staff/playcaller) they were trying to force/enforce the story line that Russell Wilson is an elite QB that marches down the field, puts teams on his back, and wins super bowls. That is the story they want; not the we'd be nothing without Marshawn story line. Throwing that TD makes Wilson the man and maybe limits Lynch's leverage for a contract extension. Throwing that pick does the opposite. Good luck with the contract talks, Seattle.

That's tin foil man. They had been in the zone for the most part and didn't come up with the right one here. It happens.

There isn't some diabolical plot going on or some secret society agenda.

Heard a guy from SC call into a National Sports radio show this morning 100% convinced that there was no way Seattle was going to hand the ball off to Lynch on any down near the goal line at the end of the game. Said Seattle wanted someone else to score because Lynch would have to do interviews if he scored the game winning TD and they didn't want him to be put in that situation. 

I understand Seattle's thinking in the situation. New England was in their goal line defense and appeared ready to sell out and stop the run. A seemingly reasonable option then would be to throw the ball. Unfortunately for Seattle, the old saying "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad" rang true.

Seattle forgot that they were the team marching down the field. They were the team one yard away from a Superbowl victory. They were the ones that had New England against the ropes, waiting for a knockout punch.

They were not selling to stop the run and that wasn't a run stopping goal line package. Seattle brought in three WR and NE countered by going man using corners on all three and Lynch making it 4 man on man match ups with seven in the box. Even Belichick said it after the game.

Heard a guy from SC call into a National Sports radio show this morning 100% convinced that there was no way Seattle was going to hand the ball off to Lynch on any down near the goal line at the end of the game. Said Seattle wanted someone else to score because Lynch would have to do interviews if he scored the game winning TD and they didn't want him to be put in that situation.

I don't think coaching staffs take media into consideration when calling plays. If they do, they should be fired.

If he would've scored it would go down as one of the greatest plays in SB history.

if he had scored it wouldn't have even gone down as the greatest play on that drive. The score wouldn't have been anything special, but at least they would have won. No reason not to try running it at least once or twice from the 1 before getting cute.

I know that I'm in the minority, like definitely, 100% sure, but after rethinking this, the decision to throw wasn't necessarily the worst call in the world.  If you honestly have 3 downs and 1 timeout, presumably, 1 play will be a run, 1 will be a pass, and the last will be either or (presumably the 4th down call where time on the clock has zero affect on them one way or another).  If you play aggressive passing on first down and fail, you have both 3rd and 4th down with the patriots guessing because realistically, both options are available for both plays.  The biggest problem to me was was Russel Wilson staring down his reciever on the play.  As much as people say the Seahawks lost the game, honestly, you have to give credit to the Patriots defense for stepping up with the game on the line.

I don't think coaching staffs take media into consideration when calling plays. If they do, they should be fired.

Oh I didn't agree with the guys theory at all and no one else did either. In fact they said that was the worst call they ever got since someone called in to say that when Mike Tomlin stepped on the field in front of Jacoby Jones' return a couple years ago due to mental illness from calcium deposits around his brain just like Cap't Lou Albano had from WWE wrestling. Almost lost my coffee on that one. 

Archived