• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lesson Learned

Jeremy Igo

Everyone is buzzing about the "worst play call in NFL history" this morning, and I have to agree the call was terrible. Looking deeper into it, I feel there is a lesson that can be taken away from Seattle's misery. It is a simple notion, but one that the Carolina Panthers and many other NFL teams have lost sight of at times.

If you cannot impose your will at the most critical time, you don't deserve to win.

I understand Seattle's thinking in the situation. New England was in their goal line defense and appeared ready to sell out and stop the run. A seemingly reasonable option then would be to throw the ball. Unfortunately for Seattle, the old saying "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad" rang true.

Seattle forgot that they were the team marching down the field. They were the team one yard away from a Superbowl victory. They were the ones that had New England against the ropes, waiting for a knockout punch.

And then... they flinched. They doubted themselves and their ability to impose a one yard run in three tries. Even with Marshawn Lynch. Even with Russell Wilson. They doubted their own resolve, and it cost them the game.

Losers take what is given. Winners impose their will and take what is theirs. Sometimes the game really does come down to who wants it more, and last night the Seahawks became complacent at the worst possible moment.

You have Carroll saying they were in goal line defense, but then you have Revis post game saying they were in a three corner package ( some sort of goal line nickel) and not a true goal line set.

Sounds to me like Carroll is just making excuses for the dumbshit play call.

I need to watch the play again for myself. The highlights just focus on the int and I can't see the entire defensive set.

You have Carroll saying they were in goal line defense, but then you have Revis post game saying they were in a three corner package ( some sort of goal line nickel) and not a true goal line set.

I need to watch the play again for myself. The highlights just focus on the int and I can't see the entire defensive set.

I'm sure there are many YouTube videos out.  Anyway, I would've ran something pretty simple but not as straightforward as giving it to Lynch.  For instance, running a TE or a DT up the middle like the Jets did vs us last year.  Don't pass the ball with a game manager in a pressure situation.  

Revis also said they expected the run. It was a semi disguised goal line with 3 corners.

That's a valid point and it's surprising given their reliance on Lynch and his ability to pretty much get 4 yards every time he touches the ball.

One of the worst decisions in football history imo.

Herm Edwards on Mike & Mike this morning seems to think personnel dictated that RW could have ran the read option, kept it wand walked in...  armchair QB's...ouch.

If he would've scored it would go down as one of the greatest plays in SB history.

This!!! About a million times!!! I understand their thinking, but with your personnel it is odd they passed. Butler made a great play. He jumped the route. If he don't get their at the moment he did. TOUCHDOWN!

Because it was the deciding play in the super bowl it will always be hyped as worst play call in history.  I don't have a problem with passing on that down with two downs to go but the inside slant when the back line of the defense is all flowing to collapse toward the center?

If you are going to pass in that situation use the play call the Pats did, twice,  (one worked, one did not) with Amendola making a sweet inside fake and arm push to outside.  If you miss that route much less chance of a disaster.

Now you have a play call that takes away from what should rightly be called the most incredible, clutch reception in Superbowl history.

Archived