• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russell Wilson is smoke and mirrors.

PanthersUnited

lol at the cam but huggers trying to hard to marginalize wilson. 

week after week all they say is he is lucky and its his system. 

as if he hasnt been playing great making insane clutch plays since his days at nc state. 

wilson is a very very very good qb. great qb overal. 

Stupid playcall at the end but Wilson is a good/almost great QB

If it wasn't for that stupid play call, this thread wouldn't exist.

2 Super Bowls in his first 3 years in the league is pretty fuggin' good regardless. Add to the story line the fact Carolina can't seem to beat them, it only adds to the butthurt.

He's Cam newton on his first season with a super defense :)

Cam will be beyond great : Gettlemagic is getting him the team he deserves and this young man is learning (cam) how scarcity feels like.

It makes Cam more mature - the minute Wilson Signs that contract - seattle will fall off a cliff : 49ers anyone lol

On the other hand guess who's coming up from Cap hell

Huh?

Newton was a MUCH BETTER POCKET PASSER his first NFL season than RW was, and even now.

Wilson, was literally spoon fed the offense his first year, and didn't really start to do anything till the end of his rookie season and start of his 2nd year (while still playing off the run game).

By the middle of Wilson's 2nd year on, they had all type of stunts, fakes, play actions, bootlegs, timing patterns, floaters (off timing patterns, etc.), when the opposing defense didn't expect it, where he excelled.

I think, I get your post overall, and wasn't trying to be negative. :lolu:

The difference between RG3 and Wilson is that Wilson is a smart runner.

True. RG3, is actually a very reckless runner.

RG3, actually has a better arm, and appears more accurate than Wilson. He also appears a little more settled from the pocket than Wilson, though that's not saying much.

Not sure who's really better at reading a defense. Cause RG3 can't. And Wilson, appears he can't see over his offensive line, thus needs to scramble or run. He does appear okay, when he can actually see what's going on. But he doesn't have the arm to make throws in tight windows down field, particularly with a pass rush in his face.

As I said the other day: Worst things the Skins did, was try to place RG3 in a more conventional offense, cause his ability to read defense and react from under center just wasn't there. He played in one of the most gimmick offenses I've seen in years. That's what mostly aided him, along with Alfred Morris's run threat and stats.

Of course Wilson (besides his teams defense and Lynch), continues to play in a hybrid type offense which benefits him (floaters, loopers, timing patterns, bootlegs, short throws, deep balls when defense don't expect it, thrown with arc if lacking velocity), cause it doesn't appear he could methodically drive a team down the field from the pocket.

He's very good, on the team and offense he plays with. However, if you were to magically move him to another team, I'm not sure if much of what he currently does can be routinely duplicated.

Why are people acting like timing patterns are a bad thing or a crutch? Elite offenses are all about timing routes and throwing the ball where the receiver is going to be rather than where he is. One reason Cam has to throw darts into tight windows is because he often throws the ball when he sees the window rather than anticipating when the window will show up. You don't have to throw a hundred miles an hour every throw if you can anticipate. Manning has been getting it done with well below average arm strength for years now because he'll often throw the ball before the receiver is even open.

Why are people acting like timing patterns are a bad thing or a crutch? Elite offenses are all about timing routes and throwing the ball where the receiver is going to be rather than where he is. One reason Cam has to throw darts into tight windows is because he often throws the ball when he sees the window rather than anticipating when the window will show up. You don't have to throw a hundred miles an hour every throw if you can anticipate. Manning has been getting it done with well below average arm strength for years now because he'll often throw the ball before the receiver is even open.

Because, it hides his weaknesses, of not being able to read defenses and having a weak arm.

Plus, it's not just the timing patterns. It's those; it's the short passes, the bootlegs, the roll outs, play action, etc.. That's mostly what they do. Wilson's, very rarely required to stand in the pocket, survey the defense, and look downfield.

He has his strengths. But he certainly has his shortcomings, which he's protected on that team. Put him elsewhere, and he many not even be bonafide starter IMHO.

the better answer is because you have Marshawn Lynch to pound the rock into the endzone!  Obviously the huddle isn't full of Wilson fans...and that's ok...we all are entitled to our opinions on who is better....but regardless of who the QB is in that position...a slant up the middle???  come on man....throw it to the back of the endzone if you really insist on throwing it....but you pound the rock.

Would I take Cam over Wilson? Absolutely, without even hesitating. But does that mean I have to act like Wilson is just a average QB at best? No.

I hate the Seahawks. Probably from them getting the best of us the last few times we have played them and the fact half of their fans are bandwagoners. That said, Wilson is a special player. He is a natural leader he makes big plays for his team. He's a smart runner and he understands the game well.

He's not a Cam or a Luck or a Rodgers. But Seattle is is lucky to have him. And pretending he's not a good player is just foolish.

The kid made it to back to back superbowls and won a ring. Yes he got super lucky at times, but go ahead and show me a QB that hasn't had a little luck at some point. Better yet, show me a QB that's never had a bad game... I'll be here waiting

Wilson isn't good in the way Tom Brady is good.  They're complete oppposites.  Brady is the standard definition of a pocket passer.  He stands tall in the pocket, surveys the defense, and finds the open man.  They use good route running and quality blocking to get receivers open.  

Wilson is more of a streetballer QB in that he's at his best when a play has broken down and he needs to make something happen at the last minute.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen him scramble around in the pocket getting chased by defenders, then deliver a perfect ball to a receiver on third down.  And at the same time, he's a threat to run and has the build and speed of a running back.  He's an extremely dangerous QB.  Plus, his previous baseball experience has taught him how to slide correctly, something Cam Newton might never learn.

I'm not sure why anyone would call using timing patterns as a bad thing. That's what being a QB is about. The reason I think lesser of Wilson is because this ISNT a strength of his. He is ridiculously agile, in making pursuing defenders miss. For some reason teams rush only 3 guys and he can drop 10 yards back, which offsets his height deficiency, wait around for coverage to break down since only 3 guys are rushing him, then evade a defender with his agility and then find an open or single covered guy that has broken off his route 5 seconds later. If Wilson can get guys in their routs, I would call him elite. But for now his game is schoolyard in that aspect.

The guy is just a average game manager that is carried by a extremely good team and coaching. Here is the Seahawks offense.. Lynch run, Lynch run, Wilson lobs a deep pass downfield and it is caught. He is not a QB that can methodically drive an offense down the field from the pocket, he rarely throws to tight windows and he rarely threads the needle. All of his passes are deep floaters that somehow other teams dont see coming and the WR happens to be at the right place and right time.

Put Wilson in the Colts or Packers offense and he would fail. He is extremely lucky he has a good supporting cast and defensec that carries him.

Lol still but hurt over those three wins vs UNC?

Archived