• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One thing to consider when talking Free Agents....

Jeremy Igo

The only position they should spend money on in free agency is if a top notch LT becomes available.  Otherwise I don't see the Panthers being more than bargain bin shoppers again, aside from possibly re-signing some of their own young players to extentions.  

What about for a team that spends more on offense then defense? Like us the last 2 years?

Depends on how you are counting.  On active contracts we spent 88 million in 2014.  But we had 26 million in dead cap money, 4.6 in injured reserve, 2 million on practice squad, etc.  On those active contracts or those folks we were here and played a good portion of the year, we spent more on offense than defense if you don't count the dead cap money or the 13 million we spent on Hardy who didn't play or guys who got hurt for much of the season, etc.

In 2013 we spent 84 million on active contracts but had almost 29 million in dead cap space and injured reserve salaries. So it depends on whether you allocate those to each side of the ball or only count money for players who actually played a significant portion of the season.  

So as long as we keep so much dead cap money and have to restructure contracts like Johnson to make up for money we spent on contracts for running backs, etc, it is hard to actually get a handle of exactly how much we are spending on both sides of the ball when we are wasting so much and restructured contracts look cheap for that year but push it onto future contracts.  

Good point.  I estimate that we extend TD and CJ for a little relief (about $10m) and possibly cut DW, Tolbert, Silatolu (too expensive for a backup), and DeCoud to save another $7m.   That should give us about $30m if the new cap is set at $140m, as some have speculated.

So I wouid guess that Gettlemen has about $20m in his wallet to spend on a few free agents.  That is, of course, if he gets a bit aggressive with the roster as suggested.  He could fill about 3-4 needs nicely with that kind of $$.

I really hope that we can find a way to keep Tolbert without breaking the bank. He's a great blocker and can be a stud at the goal line(with an average or better O-Line). Will be sad to see DW go, but have come to terms with it.

Some of you are suggesting illogical cuts. There has to be cap savings or locker room concerns to cut a guy under contract. If someone is on a rookie deal you let them come into camp and see what they have. Imagine if we cut Josh Norman last summer because we just didn't like him anymore. Or cut Byron Bell because we thought Gary Williams and Nate Chandler could get the job done. 

All of our UFAs are dollar store purchases we can bring them back if we need to but we probably don't. I honestly think you could see Bell get Lafell money and everyone will scoff. At the least Bell is a versatile backup. 

I don't see Joe Webb as that great of a player. He's versatile but not a difference maker at anything. I would look to replace Dickson in the draft and if nothing materializes offer him a deal in May. 

Just in general we need more guys that pose a match up problem. Brenton Bersin is not a mismatch on anyone. Ok, maybe Charles Godfrey but nobody else. Ed Dickson to me does not present a match up problem for anyone.

On the other hand, Fozzy Whitaker can cause problems for a defense even if he isn't a complete player.

Also, how many more years do any of you think TD is going to play? Every off-season I wait to see that news come across. Same with Ryan Kalil.

Kalil is only 29.  I could easily see him playing 3-5 more seasons.  TD is only 31, but you do have to wonder how long the knees will hold up and allow him to keep it going.  So far, so good.

Here's how I see it going down with our UFA's: 

Greg Hardy = no (sigh) 

Dwan Edwards = yes

Colin Cole = no

Chase Blackburn = yes

Ed Dickson = yes

Joe Webb = yes (versatility) 

Kevin Matthews = no 

Garry Williams = no

James Dockery = no

Chris Scott = no

Agree with most of this. Gettleman will re-sign Edwards, Dickson and Webb to short 1 or 2 year deals.

Some of you are suggesting illogical cuts. There has to be cap savings or locker room concerns to cut a guy under contract. If someone is on a rookie deal you let them come into camp and see what they have. Imagine if we cut Josh Norman last summer because we just didn't like him anymore. Or cut Byron Bell because we thought Gary Williams and Nate Chandler could get the job done. 

All of our UFAs are dollar store purchases we can bring them back if we need to but we probably don't. I honestly think you could see Bell get Lafell money and everyone will scoff. At the least Bell is a versatile backup. 

I don't see Joe Webb as that great of a player. He's versatile but not a difference maker at anything. I would look to replace Dickson in the draft and if nothing materializes offer him a deal in May. 

Just in general we need more guys that pose a match up problem. Brenton Bersin is not a mismatch on anyone. Ok, maybe Charles Godfrey but nobody else. Ed Dickson to me does not present a match up problem for anyone.

On the other hand, Fozzy Whitaker can cause problems for a defense even if he isn't a complete player.

Dickson is a free agent, so if you wait to the draft to decide there is always the chance he will have signed with another team.  Free agency starts at the beginning of March.  The draft is end of April.

Out of curiosity who were you referring about being illogical cuts?

Dickson is a free agent, so if you wait to the draft to decide there is always the chance he will have signed with another team.  Free agency starts at the beginning of March.  The draft is end of April.

Out of curiosity who were you referring about being illogical cuts?

Anyone on a rookie contract. That includes Silatolu and Kugbilla. If they come into camp and don't make a mark, you move on but there is no advantage to making the move now. We will not need half a million in savings to squeeze someone under the cap. We still save that money if we cut them before week 1. I'm not sure about Decoud but I get the feeling we cannot save much getting rid of him. 

Sure, some of these guy you look at and think "he has no future here, he's just an overpaid backup". But we are projecting Mike Remmers and Andrew Norwell as starters right now. If one of them blows a knee in July, Amini starts looking like a better option. 

With Kugbilla, he has like no guaranteed money coming his way. We will spend more feeding him than paying him. If he is physically able to play, give him a shot. 

I see Dickson getting re-signed, and, despite your's and Voth's and Jones' takes on the matter, I refuse to believe there is 0 chance Hardy's back. He's found innocent, 3 year deal for like $20M with just about no guaranteed and voids that if he gets in trouble we can cut him with no penalty.

You think a professional football player who is one of the best there is at his position will sign a 3-year deal with minimal money guaranteed?

LOL...

Hardy may by crazy enough to do that but, I can assure you, his agent is NOT.

That would be germaine if I had ever said he was a great OC, What I have said is that he is good for a team that believes that defense is how you win games and spends the majority of the money on that side of the ball. When you are not given a great deal of talent you need to be efficient and score points but are not going to ever be mistaken for having offenses like GB and NO. What I said is that he has a system and can be very effective when he has the players to run his system.

So, as I understand you, Shula has NEVER had "the players to run his system"?  Since its a provable fact that he has NEVER been "very effective"?

Archived