• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One thing to consider when talking Free Agents....

Jeremy Igo

We certainly need to get younger.

NFL-age.png

Panthers ancient, Seattle and new England not so much.

RG3 trade certainly helped make the Rams future bright, Skins not so much.

That is funny. When the difference on the average age between a top team and a bottom team is roughly a year difference it is ridiculous to even make a big deal about it. Do you really think the difference between 25 and 26 years old is significant?

Not really.  If you have marquee players at key positions, you're gonna have to pay them.  What I hope Gettleman does is do a better job of identifying those marquee players at key positions.  Don't tie up a ton of cap space in RBs.  Save that money for OTs, pass rushers, and play makers.

Teams that draft well can let guys walk and just start the next guy behind him.

Steelers have done that for years.

That is funny. When the difference on the average age between a top team and a bottom team is roughly a year difference it is ridiculous to even make a big deal about it. Do you really think the difference between 25 and 26 years old is significant?

Isn't there a Rivera sucks thread you can go whine in?

We certainly need to get younger.

NFL-age.png

Panthers ancient, Seattle and new England not so much.

RG3 trade certainly helped make the Rams future bright, Skins not so much.

The difference between ancient and not is a whopping .75 years to 1 years?

...despite your's and Voth's and Jones' takes on the matter, I refuse to believe there is 0 chance Hardy's back. He's found innocent, 3 year deal for like $20M with just about no guaranteed and voids that if he gets in trouble we can cut him with no penalty.

This seems like more wishful thinking. The only chance that it happens is if Hardy passes up a bigger payday out of some sense of honor and/or decides to give the team a hometown discount, decides to risk and put off a big payday, or become a straight merc a little closer to the end of his prime.

If I recall correctly, there were intimations about $8 mil per year before last season, and Hardy wasn't too receptive.

This seems like more wishful thinking. The only chance that it happens is if Hardy passes up a bigger payday out of some sense of honor and/or decides to give the team a hometown discount, decides to risk and put off a big payday, or become a straight merc a little closer to the end of his prime.

If I recall correctly, there were intimations about $8 mil per year before last season, and Hardy wasn't too receptive.

Obviously wishful thinking on my part and I only say it because of Josh saying Greg told him he'd play here for free. If Greg wants back here and will play for less to make up for this past year then I don't see Gettleman not considering it.

I see Dickson getting re-signed, and, despite your's and Voth's and Jones' takes on the matter, I refuse to believe there is 0 chance Hardy's back. He's found innocent, 3 year deal for like $20M with just about no guaranteed and voids that if he gets in trouble we can cut him with no penalty.

Its clear DG is waiting on the results of the trial and Rivera has already made comments he want him back. Honestly the ball is in Hardys court. He needs to take a pay cut to stay so we will see. IMO I have yet to see a NFL player in his situation not be selfish and go for the Money.

People sure have come around to the notion Shula is a good OC.

:)

That would be germaine if I had ever said he was a great OC, What I have said is that he is good for a team that believes that defense is how you win games and spends the majority of the money on that side of the ball. When you are not given a great deal of talent you need to be efficient and score points but are not going to ever be mistaken for having offenses like GB and NO. What I said is that he has a system and can be very effective when he has the players to run his system.  I think that has been borne out and that many people are coming around to the fact that your offense and defense for that matter have to fit into a larger philosophy and that not every team does it the same way.  As long as you score more points than the opposition on a regular basis you win more than you lose.  Shula's offense works for us right now and if he is given more pieces to work with should produce even better results.  Whether he is the best fit in a few years remains to be seen. 

That would be germaine if I had ever said he was a great OC, What I have said is that he is good for a team that believes that defense is how you win games and spends the majority of the money on that side of the ball. When you are not given a great deal of talent you need to be efficient and score points but are not going to ever be mistaken for having offenses like GB and NO. What I said is that he has a system and can be very effective when he has the players to run his system.  I think that has been borne out and that many people are coming around to the fact that your offense and defense for that matter have to fit into a larger philosophy and that not every team does it the same way.  As long as you score more points than the opposition on a regular basis you win more than you lose.  Shula's offense works for us right now and if he is given more pieces to work with should produce even better results.  Whether he is the best fit in a few years remains to be seen.

What about for a team that spends more on offense then defense? Like us the last 2 years?

Archived