• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One thing to consider when talking Free Agents....

Jeremy Igo

The Panthers have 11 unrestricted free agents. The bulk of those spots are on the offensive and defensive lines.

The Panthers could have as many as 8-10 draft picks and another 5 or so UDFA coming in for camp to compete for those spots.

This isn't even taking into consideration the upgrades available on someone else's roster right now. There should be a few of those.

I don't think we will see many of the UFA resigned. If they are signed, it will be with little bonus and cap hit if released. Room needs to be made for the young guys, and there are no "absolutely must keep" players on the UFA list this year, thankfully.

If Gettleman can draft as well as he has been doing since he got here, I see the youth movement continuing.

Good point.  I estimate that we extend TD and CJ for a little relief (about $10m) and possibly cut DW, Tolbert, Silatolu (too expensive for a backup), and DeCoud to save another $7m.   That should give us about $30m if the new cap is set at $140m, as some have speculated.

So I wouid guess that Gettlemen has about $20m in his wallet to spend on a few free agents.  That is, of course, if he gets a bit aggressive with the roster as suggested.  He could fill about 3-4 needs nicely with that kind of $$.

I see Dickson getting re-signed, and, despite your's and Voth's and Jones' takes on the matter, I refuse to believe there is 0 chance Hardy's back. He's found innocent, 3 year deal for like $20M with just about no guaranteed and voids that if he gets in trouble we can cut him with no penalty.

I could see Cotch being cut as well, DeCoud is gone, Kug is probably gone as is Amini. CJ, TD, and Olsen will get extended to bring down this year's cap hit and give them reasonable money over the rest of the contract. I could see Cam or Luke getting extended as well, but probably not both this offseason.

Here's how I see it going down with our UFA's: 

Greg Hardy = no (sigh) 

Dwan Edwards = yes

Colin Cole = no

Chase Blackburn = yes

Ed Dickson = yes

Joe Webb = yes (versatility) 

Kevin Matthews = no 

Garry Williams = no

James Dockery = no

Chris Scott = no

Greg Hardy = no (sigh)

Dwan Edwards = yes

Colin Cole = no

Chase Blackburn = yes

Ed Dickson = yes

Kevin Matthews = no

Garry Williams = no

James Dockery = no

Chris Scott = no

I don't see Blackburn making it after how well Glanton performed.

Greg Hardy = no (sigh) 

Dwan Edwards = yes

Colin Cole = no

Chase Blackburn = yes

Ed Dickson = yes

Kevin Matthews = no 

Garry Williams = no

James Dockery = no

Chris Scott = no

Byron Bell?

I see Dickson getting re-signed, and, despite your's and Voth's and Jones' takes on the matter, I refuse to believe there is 0 chance Hardy's back. He's found innocent, 3 year deal for like $20M with just about no guaranteed and voids that if he gets in trouble we can cut him with no penalty.

If Hardy signs for 3/$20M with little guaranteed after being found not guilty, his agent will never sign another NFL client again.  Hardy would have to fire his agent and act as his own agent in order to sign that deal.

Just goes to show that these kind of things can happen, when we get a good GM like Dave Gettleman.

Not really.  If you have marquee players at key positions, you're gonna have to pay them.  What I hope Gettleman does is do a better job of identifying those marquee players at key positions.  Don't tie up a ton of cap space in RBs.  Save that money for OTs, pass rushers, and play makers.

Archived