• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josh Gordon's (or at least his publicist's) journal entry

Jeremy Igo

the chances that the only times he's used were the times that he's been caught is pretty unlikely.

Highly.

And the stage of the substance abuse program that he's in requires ten tests per month.

How do you choose to use when you know you're going to be tested ten times a month?

I'm basing my opinion off the fact that I've listened to the man talk and he's obviously not an idiot.

Absent being really dumb (which again, I don't think he is), and the fact that he's been caught multiple, multiple times with drugs and alcohol in his system, even when he's taking the risk of losing his very highly paid spot as an NFL wide receiver, I feel like that's a pretty safe assumption.

While I do believe the second hand smoke excuse is kind of ludicrous, I just can't believe this guy has any kind of alcohol or drug issue. There's no way someone can maintain the physical skills to play football at the level he plays if they're drinking and getting high all of the time. Sure, he made some bone headed decisions in college, but I think he's been extremely unfortunate and unlucky as well. I think he's being unfairly targeted by the NFL.

According to a co-worker, who was in the NFL, if you get popped... you have a problem.  He was telling me that there are usually multiple failed tests, before it's actually reported and they're punished for it.  Of course, that was 10 years ago, so things could have changed significantly.

While I do believe the second hand smoke excuse is kind of ludicrous, I just can't believe this guy has any kind of alcohol or drug issue. There's no way someone can maintain the physical skills to play football at the level he plays if they're drinking and getting high all of the time. Sure, he made some bone headed decisions in college, but I think he's been extremely unfortunate and unlucky as well. I think he's being unfairly targeted by the NFL.

A whole lot easier to not be 'unfairly targeted' by the NFL if you simply don't partake of the weed.

(especially during those times when you're being tested ten times a month)

Gordon is not a victim, at least not to anyone but his own poor decisions.

According to a co-worker, who was in the NFL, if you get popped... you have a problem.  He was telling me that there are usually multiple failed tests, before it's actually reported and they're punished for it.  Of course, that was 10 years ago, so things could have changed significantly.

He's correct.

To get to the stage a guy like Gordon is you have to have failed tests repeatedly.

I have a hard time believing the NFL would actively work against their own financial interests.

A whole lot easier to not be 'unfairly targeted' by the NFL if you simply don't partake of the weed.

(especially during those times when you're being tested ten times a month)

Gordon is not a victim, at least not to anyone but his own poor decisions.

I agree. He knows the guidelines set by the NFL and if he still wants to get high, even on rare occasion, when he knows he's getting tested that's moronic and in that sense he has a problem.

IMO he's definitely not an alcoholic. I think he was extremely unlucky with the DWI charge. If he blew a .09 then he probably thought he was perfectly capable of driving safely. I don't think anyone can judge the difference of their bac in such a small window of around .06, .07, .08, .09. That's why I think the alcohol clause of his punishment was unwarranted for a .09 first time dwi offense . If he blew say 1.9 then I might think differently.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

Maybe targeted wasn't the best word. I just think there's something deeply flawed with the NFL when you've got an owner who gets pulled over drunk and coked out of his mind and nothing happens. You've got AP, Greg Hardy, Ray McDonald, and Ray Rice who would've all been out on the field this season if it weren't for the leaked elevator footage. You've got a team in the Super Bowl who's been blatantly cheating for God only knows how long and what else they've gotten away with.... But then they want to lay the hammer on a guy for smoking some pot and tell him he can't drink alcohol?

Maybe targeted wasn't the best word. I just think there's something deeply flawed with the NFL when you've got an owner who gets pulled over drunk and coked out of his mind and nothing happens. You've got AP, Greg Hardy, Ray McDonald, and Ray Rice who would've all been out on the field this season if it weren't for the leaked elevator footage. You've got a team in the Super Bowl who's been blatantly cheating for God only knows how long and what else they've gotten away with.... But then they want to lay the hammer on a guy for smoking some pot and tell him he can't drink alcohol?

Your point would have been much more poignant, IMO, if you had left the Patriot cheating thing out of it.

"my inadvertently inhaling second-hand marijuana smoke last offseason"

Yeah, I can imagine him inhaling very deeply in an enclosed space. Lol

You guys are just gonna talk about the drugs and brush off the main point hes making about the media? I've never been a fan of pooing on someone just for making mistakes. I make mistakes all the damn time. It happens to all of us. I dont get judging him so profoundly.

While you are correct we all make mistakes, not all of us have the opportunity to be millionaires, or people with influence. When your in a position such as gordons you have to hold yourself to a higher standard regardless of where you came from, and regardless of what the everyday population does, and even more so what the next high paid athelete did and got away with. Execuses get you no where, and think gordon knows this.

Archived