• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Google Fiber projected coverage areas...

Jeremy Igo

If it affects youtube, then it also affects all other streaming videos from other sites (like panthers.com, time.com), embedded or not, right? It does for me. So don't discount the test. I have a desktop and I hate watching full length features on my computer. My best HD on tv & from Netflix is 720p & sometimes even then a Netflix movie will stutter. God forbid I ever try watching Transformers: Dark Side Of The Moon on Netflix again. Statesville is not Charlotte so don't bother telling me what you had in Charlotte. 13 years ago I had dialup because there was nothing else for my edge of the 'city'. Like I said, I'm jelly.

It doesn't necessarily affect other streaming videos. I don't know all the details of the differences between flash, silverlight, etc, but while I could stream netflix in HD, I could barely watch a youtube clip at the lowest setting with my connection.

Uverse's slowest advertised speed is 50% faster than my speed from TWC. Congrats on the dialup because 13 years ago, I didn't even have an email address.

For folks talking about the inability to use such a huge amount of internet speed, I have to ask if you would rather not have the competition?

For me, I pay $65 a month for my 30/5 TWC internet.  I don't do a cable bundle, or telephone, etc. I've not been thrilled with contract stuff from TWC for years.  I look forward to seeing what Google Fiber has in it's documents for us as well.  We need the competition in our market place to push TWC and AT&T to lower prices and better services.

I'd be willing to pay Google more for a little while until TWC gets their pricing more competitive.  It's not about having the most speed, but the best value.  It's not a cure all for all social ills or anything, but it's better than nothing as far as competition.

What's Google fiber?

Stupid Faster Internet for relatively cheap.  $300 one time for 5 mbps for ever.  $70 a month for Gigabit up and down speeds, $130 with that and cable.  Last two will be on some form of contract.  It's cool for the individual, but most people can't harness that much speed in their set ups.

Stupid Faster Internet for relatively cheap.  $300 one time for 5 mbps for ever.  $70 a month for Gigabit up and down speeds, $130 with that and cable.  Last two will be on some form of contract.  It's cool for the individual, but most people can't harness that much speed in their set ups.

I've got charter 60mbs and phone plus tv for 160.  Going to drop back to phone and internet.  It still will be 75.  Can't do without it but it is expensive for you use it for.

I've got charter 60mbs and phone plus tv for 160. Going to drop back to phone and internet. It still will be 75. Can't do without it but it is expensive for you use it for.

Charter is a very, very good product, it's just overpriced. Competition would force them to lower rates.

Archived