• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Google Fiber projected coverage areas...

Jeremy Igo

RTS is a company trying to offer services, just like Google. They don't actually make the stuff, though. They were working on a deal with Wake Forest, Asheville, & a few other areas last year. I haven't followed it recently so I don't know what's going on.

Commscope is the biggest bully on the block in the telecommunications world. They make over 90% of the coaxial cable & nearly as much in fiber optics now. And now they're taking over wireless, too. They purchased Andrews for several billion last year & just spent $3 billion to buyout TE Connectivity this week.

The founder is from Hickory, NC- which is where the global headquarter remains to this day. Started in the 70s. One of the bigger monopolies in the country today. They've bought out just about all of their competition. Run them out of business then buyout their brands, patents, etc.

I knew RTS didn't actually make the cables or optics, I was just saying they are laying them. They are laying the ground work for a good future. I hope it's coming!!!

The question is, why would you NOT go with Google fiber if it was made available to you. 130 bucks a month for TV and gigabit Internet with no data caps. You can say it's overkill, but it just completely shits on TWC for roughly the same price, and you will have more than enough internet for probably the rest of your life. What's going to be key is in say 10 years or so when streaming 4K TV is going to be the standard, not to mention whatever amazing advances in gaming/home entertainment there will surely come.

I will be a day 1 subscriber if it's available in my neighborhood.

you have any issues writing with your hard drives when you download at those speeds?  I would think your hard drive would say wtf.

Even if RAM didn't exist, a gigabit is roughly 125 megabytes. Most mechanical HDDs can write at speeds over 200 MB/second. SSDs are even quicker.

Could not be more excited. In the ballantyne area kinda on the edge of the map so fingers crossed. I will be campaigning like crazy in my neighborhood for this

lol screw the rich people. finally something the middle class will have that the upper class wont.  this poo just keeps getting better and better.

No love for Iredell County again. And, yes, I'm jelly over this. I have uverse which is the best of a bad lot in my corner of Statesville. And, no, I'm not posting the speed test results because they are embarrassing. :sick:  Not many problems actually, except this really pisses me off: paying for HD, not quite getting. Checking with Google, I would not be able to get better than SD with any internet provider. Check yours, http://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/

No love for Iredell County again. And, yes, I'm jelly over this. I have uverse which is the best of a bad lot in my corner of Statesville. And, no, I'm not posting the speed test results because they are embarrassing. :sick:  Not many problems actually, except this really pisses me off: paying for HD, not quite getting. Checking with Google, I would not be able to get better than SD with any internet provider. Check yours, http://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/

that's only for youtube.

when i was in charlotte, i had the $14.99/month option from TWC. it had a 2mbps download speed. i could still stream HD on netflix

that's only for youtube.

when i was in charlotte, i had the $14.99/month option from TWC. it had a 2mbps download speed. i could still stream HD on Netflix

If it affects youtube, then it also affects all other streaming videos from other sites (like panthers.com, time.com), embedded or not, right? It does for me. So don't discount the test. I have a desktop and I hate watching full length features on my computer. My best HD on tv & from Netflix is 720p & sometimes even then a Netflix movie will stutter. God forbid I ever try watching Transformers: Dark Side Of The Moon on Netflix again. Statesville is not Charlotte so don't bother telling me what you had in Charlotte. 13 years ago I had dialup because there was nothing else for my edge of the 'city'. Like I said, I'm jelly.

Archived