• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Google Fiber projected coverage areas...

Jeremy Igo

So why do you truly need 1,000 up and 1,000 down? I didn't know the huddle was full of professional video game players that need the extra mds cause youre playing aliens on mars.

I enjoy HD streaming. If you have a solid 30 down its just as good as 500/750/1000 down..... no difference.

I shouldn't be shocked, I mean sheep tards buy phones that are 99.7% the same as the last model(less than one year old too).

I coming out with 747(kewl name huh) octane fuel for cars. Make a whole bunch claims "its so green animals can drink it !!! " "adds 376 urion power pounds!!! " sit back and become the richest man on earth. Then offer a new interwebz call G^~ ........... 250,000,000,000 down 250,000,000,000,000 up !!!

I will say, I like anytime there's more options to pick form. But I wonder what tax breaks goggle is getting, they raped KC. No taxes for 100 years, free land, free roads, discount building materials.

What's so great about Google fiber?

Nothing.

99.9% of the people on this forum don't have the needed computer hardware to utilize half of what they'll be paying for. 1,000 MB is an insane amount of Internet bandwidth speed. Hell, 90% of people don't even have the proper setup to pull the full 100 MB Business speeds offered by cable companies. You need very expensive setups to handle that stuff.

Fiber is great for large business networks, but it's complete overkill for home use to browse the web and watch Netflix. It's like buying a Ferrari and putting a 35 mph governor on it. Is it a crazy fast, badass ride? Yeah, but you aren't even using it.

Cable is old, but it's not outdated like most people think. Providers still haven't even maximized the ability & uses of copper. It can handle a lot more than it's currently being used for. The problem is shitty cable companies that have monopolized everything & don't give a rat's ass. 90% of cable internet problems come from improper installations. If your cable is properly connected, & you have decent computers, you'll never have a problem.

The good thing is Google Fiber will force cable companies to improve as they expand & start eating into their profits. Cable companies will have to cut their prices & stabilize their services. It's already happened in Kansas City where Google initially ran their Fiber. They went from $89 for 30 MB service with terrible QC & network management to $59 for 50 MB service with excellent network upkeep. And 50 MB is more than 90% of people need. Unless you're sitting in mom's basement streaming Netflix on 3 TVs & playing WOW online at the same time you don't need anything else.

TWC is terrible right now, I'd pay the $130 a month for Google over the $79 I'm paying for TWC. But as soon as TWC fixes their poo- & they will- I'd want to go right back because paying double for Google is retarded. But by then you're screwed because Google is gonna make you sign a multi-year agreement with very high ETFs. So you're right back where you started with a monopoly.

Cable vs Fiber. It's like being single & deciding between a 3 bedroom ranch house or a 3 story 8 bedroom mega house. Is one much better than the other? Hell yeah. But it's overkill & useless.

Not to mention that once Google gets a large number of customers sucked in under contract they're gonna skyrocket prices. Don't cry when your $130 bill becomes $300.

That said, I work at Commscope so it's all great news for me. Cable, Fiber, Wireless, we make it all. The more the merrier.

Nothing.

99.9% of the people on this forum don't have the needed computer hardware to utilize half of what they'll be paying for. 1,000 MB is an insane amount of Internet bandwidth speed. Hell, 90% of people don't even have the proper setup to pull the full 100 MB Business speeds offered by cable companies. You need very expensive setups to handle that stuff.

lol

Fiber is great for large business networks, but it's complete overkill for home use to browse the web and watch Netflix. It's like buying a Ferrari and putting a 35 mph governor on it. Is it a crazy fast, badass ride? Yeah, but you aren't even using it.

Cable is old, but it's not outdated like most people think. Providers still haven't even maximized the ability & uses of copper. It can handle a lot more than it's currently being used for. The problem is shitty cable companies that have monopolized everything & don't give a rat's ass. 90% of cable internet problems come from improper installations. If your cable is properly connected, & you have decent computers, you'll never have a problem.

The good thing is Google Fiber will force cable companies to improve as they expand & start eating into their profits. Cable companies will have to cut their prices & stabilize their services. It's already happened in Kansas City where Google initially ran their Fiber. They went from $89 for 30 MB service with terrible QC & network management to $59 for 50 MB service with excellent network upkeep. And 50 MB is more than 90% of people need. Unless you're sitting in mom's basement streaming Netflix on 3 TVs & playing WOW online at the same time you don't need anything else.

It's still Commscope's Fiber.

RST uses Commscope's OM4 Fiber, which can provide 100 Gigabit Ethernet at up to 340 meters.

Well... you are getting way over my head here! :)  I just know, any time there is any type of utility, construction or work being done on infrastructure, there are RTS trucks there. Hell, they were doing some water line work in Kings Mountain and there were RTS vehicles there doing work. This was a new line, so I'm pretty sure they weren't tapping into something old. Why would RTS be doing work where they are running water lines?

Well... you are getting way over my head here! :) I just know, any time there is any type of utility, constriction or work being done on infrastructure, there are RTS trucks there. Hell, they were doing some water line work in Kings Mountain and there were RTS vehicles there doing work. This was a new line, so I'm pretty sure they weren't tapping into something old.

RTS is a company trying to offer services, just like Google. They don't actually make the stuff, though. They were working on a deal with Wake Forest, Asheville, & a few other areas last year. I haven't followed it recently so I don't know what's going on.

Commscope is the biggest bully on the block in the telecommunications world. They make over 90% of the coaxial cable & nearly as much in fiber optics now. And now they're taking over wireless, too. They purchased Andrews for several billion last year & just spent $3 billion to buyout TE Connectivity this week.

The founder is from Hickory, NC- which is where the global headquarter remains to this day. Started in the 70s. One of the bigger monopolies in the country today. They've bought out just about all of their competition. Run them out of business then buyout their brands, patents, etc.

Archived