• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Google Fiber projected coverage areas...

Jeremy Igo

Looking at Kansas city it looks like:

Free internet 5 mbps, with $300 install fee.

$70 for 1000 mbps internet, install fee waived.

$130 for 1000 mbps internet and TV, install fee waived.

I think the fastest internet I can get from Time Warner right now is 50 mbps for $64 a month.

Yep. I believe there are contracts associated with the more expensive tiers as well. Our city/suburb is finally opening signups in the next month or two.

Is that initial coverage? The way it's worked here is that the initial area (KC Kansas) started building immediately, and each subsequent area had to reach a threshold of sign ups before construction would begin there. Been a few years, but it's really starting to expand now.

That's what it appears to be according to this:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/26/7919167/google-fiber-launching-in-atlanta-nasville-raleigh-charlotte/in/2953031

People in the new areas can expect Google to take around a year to build the requisite infrastructure for fiber-optic internet, but not every neighborhood will receive it — interest is gauged by area, and the company won't lay down the network if it doesn't get enough of a response.

That's what it appears to be according to this:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/26/7919167/google-fiber-launching-in-atlanta-nasville-raleigh-charlotte/in/2953031

People in the new areas can expect Google to take around a year to build the requisite infrastructure for fiber-optic internet, but not every neighborhood will receive it — interest is gauged by area, and the company won't lay down the network if it doesn't get enough of a response.

I was hoping it would make it to Shelby, we already have the fiber optics in the ground.

What's so great about Google fiber?

1 gigabit per second with no bandwidth cap for $80.

Comcast's best available deal is 1/10th the speed for $90 dollars and 300GB bandwidth cap (which will be used within a few weeks if you have a family streaming Netflix daily)

I will say this:  I have 50 mbps internet, and a rare few servers can take even 10% advantage of the available bandwidth.

I see it as future proofing to a large degree, and I welcome the competition to TWC.  I'm really interested in it!

1 gigabit per second with no bandwidth cap for $80.

Comcast's best available deal is 1/10th the speed for $90 dollars and 300GB bandwidth cap (which will be used within a few weeks if you have a family streaming Netflix daily)

my comcast deal is 100 megabits and 25 channels for $59.99/month for a year, which works well for me because i'm only in this area for about 8 months

eta: jase is correct. i rarely use a fraction of the available bandwidth

Archived