• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about a game years ago

Ricky Spanish

I don't know why, but this memory randomly popped into my head when I was reading about our Special Teams. This happened over a decade ago so I could just be making it up. It's kind of dead here right now anyway, so please help me clear this up. 

I remember watching a game on TV when I was a kid, and a returner went back to receive a punt. One of the announcers was doing commentary and mentioned that this returner put icy hot in his jock strap so it would piss him off because he played better pissed off. 

Now to me, that sounds like Smitty (classic Smitty), but I don't remember who they were talking about or if it was even a guy on our team. I do remember it being a Panther game though...

So yeah... Am I just imagining things or does anyone else remember this?

This was said about Smitty in his rookie season by Rosinski. It was Tiger Balm intead of Icy Hot.

I KNEW IT!

Thank you for validating what I've been randomly remembering for the past 13 or 14 years. I didn't think it was Icy Hot exactly but I knew it was something he put on his junk to piss him off. 

Next returner we get needs to lube up with some Tiger Balm before each game. it breeds viciousness and sick return skills. 

Who remembers when Dwight Stone got knocked the fug out so hard on a return that when he got up, his eyes were moving side to side in his head and he fell back down again?

Broncos game in Denver, 1997. Darrien Gordon returned two punts for TDs that game as well.

Archived