• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Senior Bowl / Shrine Player Meetings

Jeremy Igo

From Walter Football

• Justin Coleman, CB, Tennessee (EW)
  • John Crockett, RB, North Dakota State (EW)
  • Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke (SR)
  • Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado State (SR)
  • John Miller, G, Louisville (EW)
  • Steven Nelson, CB, Oregon State (SR)
  • Ty Sambrailo, OT, Colorado State (SR)
  • Wes Saxton, TE, South Alabama (EW)
  • D'Joun Smith, CB, Florida Atlantic (SR)
  • Damian Swann, CB, Georgia (EW)
  • Jordan Taylor, WR, Rice (EW)
  • Leterrius Walton, DT, Central Michigan (EW)
  • Zach Zenner, FB, South Dakota State (EW)

Breaking it down by soley the number of interviews, CB seems to be the heaviest emphasis...

4 CB

2 WR

1 RB

1 FB

1 TE

1 DT

1 OT

1 G

1 QB

One of the most interesting prospect in my opinion here is Jamison Crowder who had a standout week at the Senior Bowl

NFL Media's Mike Mayock called Crowder one of the stars of Tuesday's North team practice, saying "no one covered him today." He touted Crowder's quickness out of breaks. While Crowder (5-foot-8 1/8, 174 pounds) looks like he'll be a slot receiver at the next level, Mayock also likes Crowder's ability as a return man.

Could be an excellent compliment to the offense in the slot and an answer at punt returns.

OT Ty Sambrailo is also an interesting prospect the Panthers interviewed. Some mocks have him going in the first round, but there is no way Gettleman reaches for him then. Walter Football has him going in the fourth round. He is all over the place in the mocks. The main concern around him appears to be his weight is mainly around the middle, and not in his legs. Will require some time in the weight room before he can play at the next level. Other than that, he has the size, arm span, and experience to be a solid tackle in the NFL. If he is still available in the third, he could be both the BPA and fill a need. Getts would pull the trigger on him.

The guy from Penn State is helping himself quite a bit at the Senior Bowl

Although he may be destined for the RT slot, Donavon Smith is one strong dude.

Originally thought to be a 3rd day pick, he might be a late second by the time the draft rolls around.

Love Crowder as a mid-round pick.  He reminds me of a more physical and polished Brandin Cooks.  Where Cooks lived off bubble screens and quick hits, while eluding defenders and avoiding the hit, Crowder is the opposite.  He does catch a lot of quick hitters, but Crowder plays so much larger than his 5'8" body. He has a sweet vertical, runs great routes and is a demon on PR (wasn't used on KR).  

Not sure if he can be a true WR2, but would be epic in the slot, and exactly what this receiving corps is in dire need of.

I've read that Sambrailo is having a tough Sr. Bowl, and he got abused by Nate Orchard in his last game at the Las Vegas Bowl.

Which brings me to Nate Orchard.... really think he's in play for us at #25.  If he played in the SEC or Pac12, he would go in the teens of the first round.  He has handled players like Andrus Peat, Ty Sambrailo and Jake Fisher.  He abused Sambrailo in the LV Bowl, and really think he has that Cliff Avril / Jerry Hughes look to him.  

From Walter Football

• Justin Coleman, CB, Tennessee (EW)
  • John Crockett, RB, North Dakota State (EW)
  • Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke (SR)
  • Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado State (SR)
  • John Miller, G, Louisville (EW)
  • Steven Nelson, CB, Oregon State (SR)
  • Ty Sambrailo, OT, Colorado State (SR)
  • Wes Saxton, TE, South Alabama (EW)
  • D'Joun Smith, CB, Florida Atlantic (SR)
  • Damian Swann, CB, Georgia (EW)
  • Jordan Taylor, WR, Rice (EW)
  • Leterrius Walton, DT, Central Michigan (EW)
  • Zach Zenner, FB, South Dakota State (EW)

Breaking it down by soley the number of interviews, CB seems to be the heaviest emphasis...

4 CB

2 WR

1 RB

1 FB

1 TE

1 DT

1 OT

1 G

1 QB

One of the most interesting prospect in my opinion here is Jamison Crowder who had a standout week at the Senior Bowl

Could be an excellent compliment to the offense in the slot and an answer at punt returns.

OT Ty Sambrailo is also an interesting prospect the Panthers interviewed. Some mocks have him going in the first round, but there is no way Gettleman reaches for him then. Walter Football has him going in the fourth round. He is all over the place in the mocks. The main concern around him appears to be his weight is mainly around the middle, and not in his legs. Will require some time in the weight room before he can play at the next level. Other than that, he has the size, arm span, and experience to be a solid tackle in the NFL. If he is still available in the third, he could be both the BPA and fill a need. Getts would pull the trigger on him.

I would absolutely love Crowder.  His game is similar to Cooks but he isn't quite as explosive.    

After Otah  and Kugbilla, I am anti fat guy. Give me lean athletic o lineman in the 295-310 range. Other than Byron Bell, our super heavyweights are the first to go on IR.

I wouldn't over think who they meet with. A prospect could have talked themselves off our board. 

The Fullback peeks my interest in general terms. I feel like Mike Shula and our bad special teams could use a pure fullback. A guy with long arms that can hold a block but move on stretch runs and special teams returns. If we are going to use a 1960s offense, we ought to have a 1960s fullback available. 

After Otah and Kugbilla, I am anti fat guy. Give me lean athletic o lineman in the 295-310 range. Other than Byron Bell, our super heavyweights are the first to go on IR.

I wouldn't over think who they meet with. A prospect could have talked themselves off our board.

The Fullback peeks my interest in general terms. I feel like Mike Shula and our bad special teams could use a pure fullback. A guy with long arms that can hold a block but move on stretch runs and special teams returns. If we are going to use a 1960s offense, we ought to have a 1960s fullback available.

Is this year they finally throw in the towel in EK?

What I love about Crowder is his PR ability. Dude works well in traffic. You don't see him trying to speed to the edge. He catches the ball and gets north/south and doesn't seem to try to make every guy miss with a juke move. He's decisive and I love it. IMO, his ability helps the defense as much as the offense. Just two/three weeks ago, our D was in awful position all game because we couldn't flip the field. This guy can.

Love Crowder as a mid-round pick.  He reminds me of a more physical and polished Brandin Cooks.  Where Cooks lived off bubble screens and quick hits, while eluding defenders and avoiding the hit, Crowder is the opposite.  He does catch a lot of quick hitters, but Crowder plays so much larger than his 5'8" body. He has a sweet vertical, runs great routes and is a demon on PR (wasn't used on KR).  

Not sure if he can be a true WR2, but would be epic in the slot, and exactly what this receiving corps is in dire need of.

Damn, you beat me to the Cooks comparison.

I have no clue what his draft position is though.  I think mid-round is a solid guess (3-5?).

Damn, you beat me to the Cooks comparison.

I have no clue what his draft position is though.  I think mid-round is a solid guess (3-5?).

I think he's all over the place, currently.  IMO, he's in the 4-6 range, but if he kills the combine and pro-day, I could see the Cooks comparisons coming in and hitting the late 2nd - 3rd range.  A lot of scouts see only a slot WR and PR ace, right now.  If he shows out at the Sr. Bowl against larger DBs it could start shifting the concerns.  He certainly plays above his measurements, and I'd almost compare him to a certain WR known around these parts, if not for the public flaming that I'd get for considering it....Still doesn't make it untrue. 

After Otah and Kugbilla, I am anti fat guy. Give me lean athletic o lineman in the 295-310 range. Other than Byron Bell, our super heavyweights are the first to go on IR.

Super sized OL as a whole are a fading trend. Teams are opting for quicker guys. Byron himself is far, far too big to be playing LT in today's game.

You may see a team try to capitalize on that trend with bigger DL eventually, but even then, the quick, tempo, short passing game offense that's become popular likely nullifies that.

Jeremy my cousin is friends with Jamison! she has nothing but good to say about him! if he can come to Carolina, i would be ecstatic!

https://www.facebook.com/lauren.helms.58/posts/10202231789231209?pnref=story

also, I like Sambrailo alot. small-school prospect but what excites me the most is his versatility. CBS sports reported that he has played most of the positions on the OL with success, albeit at a small school. with how injury prone linemen can be, his versatility makes him extremely valuable IMHO. 

Archived