• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Gettleman to Marty Hurney - You left us a cap mess, but drafted a hell of a QB

Jeremy Igo

hurney would probably still be working here and would be something of a celebrated GM if it wasn't for the terrible trades and contracts. i mean he did bring in franchise cornerstones in cam, luke, kalil, etc

the moves he made just crippled this franchise though. the 10/11/12 drafts save for a handful of picks were just awful.

But was he the worst Gm ever like some people around here would have you think??

He did orchestrate the bad Cap situation we are in now.. But be real Jerry had a lot to do with that and 8 years before most here was calling Hurney a cap wizard. .

But was he the worst Gm ever like some people around here would have you think??

He did orchestrate the bad Cap situation we are in now.. But be real Jerry had a lot to do with that and 8 years before most here was calling Hurney a cap wizard. .

I'm so glad I'm not the only Hurney apologist around here. People around here don't give him enough credit! His work spoke for itself and that's why he landed the high profile GM gig he currently has.........oh, wait

Nobody wants to see that Jerry wanted the spending spree..

You believe that Jerry wanted a spending spree? 

Jerry wanted the money to be invested into building the team.  Marty has something like $76m in cap room and he started re-signing players at ridiculous rates (read the objective, third-party articles about his last 2 years).  Re-signing players from a team that was 2-14.  That is what got Marty fired, so I do not think I would suggest that he was acting in Jerry's best interest.  Jerry did not want to be called cheap-he wanted the $$ put into players.  Marty decided how much money to what players. 

You believe that Jerry wanted a spending spree?

Jerry wanted the money to be invested into building the team. Marty has something like $76m in cap room and he started re-signing players at ridiculous rates (read the objective, third-party articles about his last 2 years). Re-signing players from a team that was 2-14. That is what got Marty fired, so I do not think I would suggest that he was acting in Jerry's best interest. Jerry did not want to be called cheap-he wanted the $$ put into players. Marty decided how much money to what players.

Jerry cares about perception more then people think..

2010 people were calling him cheap and said he used the 2-14 season to line his pockets.

Then the spending spree of 2011 happened. . I'm sorry you don't read Panthers beat writers enough because Gnatt and others wrote about it..

I'm so glad I'm not the only Hurney apologist around here. People around here don't give him enough credit! His work spoke for itself and that's why he landed the high profile GM gig he currently has.........oh, wait

What does thst have to do with the Job he did for us??

I guess you're a apologist if you don't believe Hurney is the Anti Christ. .

Jerry cares about perception more then people think..

2010 people were calling him cheap and said he used the 2-14 season to line his pockets.

Then the spending spree of 2011 happened. . I'm sorry you don't read Panthers beat writers enough because Gnatt and others wrote about it..

Do you realize that Gantt's sometimes erroneous criticism of Jerry got him taken off the Panther beat?  Go back and watch Jerry lay into Gantt during the "Pie Chart" presser.  It was ugly. JR was already pissed at Gantt.  A few days later, Gantt is covering Volleyball at Winthrop.  In college, I worked as a weekend intern with a few of the writers at the Observer and stayed in touch.  They told me that JR got Gantt moved before it happened.  So tell me about the beat writers you follow and what they know.  Bonnell, Sorenson, David Scott, (the late) David Poole -- friends of mine.

No owner wants the GM to go on a "spending spree."  It is not even what really happened, because signing your own players is not really a spending spree. 

Do you realize that Gantt's sometimes erroneous criticism of Jerry got him taken off the Panther beat? Go back and watch Jerry lay into Gantt during the "Pie Chart" presser. It was ugly. JR was already pissed at Gantt. A few days later, Gantt is covering Volleyball at Winthrop. In college, I worked as a weekend intern with a few of the writers at the Observer and stayed in touch. They told me that JR got Gantt moved before it happened. So tell me about the beat writers you follow and what they know. Bonnell, Sorenson, David Scott, (the late) David Poole -- friends of mine.

No owner wants the GM to go on a "spending spree." It is not even what really happened, because signing your own players is not really a spending spree.

Gnatt, Yasinkis Olsen and Richard Walker wrote about Hurney falling on the sword for that mistake even thoe Jerry told him to sign these players by any means necessary. .

And to be real Gnatt is the best Panthers writer ever.

Gnatt, Yasinkis Olsen and Richard Walker wrote about Hurney falling on the sword for that mistake even thoe Jerry told him to sign these players by any means necessary. .

And to be real Gnatt is the best Panthers writer ever.

That was for closing shop, not the spending spree, as you call it.  Did they ever say Jerry endorsed a "spending spree?"

You argue yourself into holes and never seem to realize you are in one.  Your choice of words is inaccurate, and Marty spent the $$ re-signing his players to stupid contracts.  Not really a spree--probably opposite of one.

And your opinion of Gantt is not relevant.  What difference does that make?

That was for closing shop, not the spending spree, as you call it. Did they ever say Jerry endorsed a "spending spree?"

You argue yourself into holes and never seem to realize you are in one. Your choice of words is inaccurate, and Marty spent the $$ re-signing his players to stupid contracts. Not really a spree--probably opposite of one.

"

It was called a spending spree by every Panthers beat writer.. And again Jerry made it clear we were doing things our way now right before it happened. .

I love how you hate being wrong and your constant disagreements with me aren't going unnoticed. .

Are you still mad about the Stephen Hill debate 2-3 years ago? ?

Dude you were wrong now move on..

Archived