• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Gettleman to Marty Hurney - You left us a cap mess, but drafted a hell of a QB

Jeremy Igo

Herniay shot him with the cam (contract-ish) question, so dave shot back with the cap mess.

Peeps also forget herniay was AWFUL at trading, outside the olsen trade. The sleepy chief DT tank for a 5th, waste. That first round bust rod gardner for a 6th, waste. Draft trades, 2x the waste.

Edit: got to give credit on colin jones, even tho he couldn't get him to sign a contract to get off 49er PS....... so he trades for him, so its a wash really.

The new 2010 lockout capped salary is the ONLY, SINGLE reason Cam was taken...(besides Luck returning to school).

JR would have never, EVER paid Cam the kind of money #1 QB picks got before the caps...not even Hurney would have either. We never would have taken him without a cap.

It was far from a 'no brainier' even with the cap, without it it, it's a no brainier to NOT pick Cam and all his unknowns in the draft.

I understand being a homer and trying to believe otherwise, now that we know Cam is the stud he is but if you think there was any other reason we picked him, recognize you're in denial and have no idea how JR runs things.

Rivera wanted both and begged for them (actually, he begged for Cam--He liked Luke, but he wanted Mark Barron, I think).  Don't forget, Marty had just made an ass of himself when he tried to freelance without coach input--the result?  Clausen, Armanti Edwards, Eric Norwood, Tony Pike. Lafell was OK.  The worst draft in team history.

I remember hearing back in 2011 or so that Marty was leaning Blaine Gabbert at one time.  Cannot confirm.

Yeah,going forward,that draft really cost the %&*# out of us.

round 2-7 x 10 years = 60 picks

so 5 good picks out of 60?

lol

So what about other players that went to other teams and did good. Not to mention I pretty much only named players on this team now or still with the organization. .

Evan Mathis, Lafell, Captain, James Anderson, and a few other players are starters on other teams that Hurney and Fox drafted. .

hurney would probably still be working here and would be something of a celebrated GM if it wasn't for the terrible trades and contracts.  i mean he did bring in franchise cornerstones in cam, luke, kalil, etc

the moves he made just crippled this franchise though.  the 10/11/12 drafts save for a handful of picks were just awful.

Archived