• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Gettleman to Marty Hurney - You left us a cap mess, but drafted a hell of a QB

Jeremy Igo

Maybe the spelling is wrong but my point and your understanding of it remains. . Marty got on himself and Dave was more like "even thoe this happened you still got me a hell of a QB".. He wasn't trying to crush Marty. .

Point out where I said he was trying to "crush Marty"

Thanks.

The fact that DG in two offseason has completely rebuilt this team with young, cheap talent is unprecedented in our team's history. He honestly has become one of the best GMs in the league along with Schneider and Newsome. I don't think any team in the league over the last 3 years has had the draft success that we have had. It's unheard of to have a team go 5-1 during a playoff push while starting 5 rookies from one draft (not counting brown which makes 6).

Out of 11 total picks:

Star - starter played at pro bowl level last year

Short - starter played at pro bowl level last 2 years

Klein - starter for part of the year

Kugz - bust

Barner - bust

KB - starter (future pro bowler)

Boston - starter

Turner - starter

Bene - starter

Ealy - starter

It's not only the players he picked up..it's the ones he cut as well. Godfrey was garbage so instead of pulling a Hurney, cut him. Same with Cason. So far he's proving to be head and shoulders better than any GM we've ever had both with talent eval and contract situations.

Dave G was operating on a dollar tree budget. You just aren't going to land very good players with that budget. All those players were stop gaps in what was expected to be a down season. As we get the cap under control I expect that we/DG will begin to win big time in free agency because our GM is an awesome evaluator of talent.

Yeah I'm not saying he did a bad job. I just don't think what he told us was true. He said Free Agency sets up the draft. He made his dollar store purchases but did it really set up the draft? Our rookie class beat out all the UFAs by the end of the season. 

We resigned RFAs at offensive tackle. Did that set up the draft? Maybe with a little cap space his Free Agents can set up the draft this time around but last year I wouldn't say that was the case. I mean we franchised Greg Hardy then drafted Kony Ealy.  To me, Gettleman is looking for talent 1st and need 2nd. He just views need differently than we do. Gettleman always needs pass rushers. The rest is debatable. 

Marty Hurney interviews Dave Gettleman on ESPN730. Not much new or revealing information, basically his press conference all over again. But....

Whats worth a listen is Gettleman taking a bit of a dig at Hurney for the cap mess in Carolina, and Hurney's awkward laugh and change of subject after.

Found around around the 7:40 mark

" A little dig" than you made it seem like Marty was a little hurt by it. Which wasn't what l got out of it..

Igo you can even see after your original post. People were taking it like " yeah Dave got that clown" or "Dave is a G for telling Marty in his face"..

And you made no attempt to correct and explain the context of the statement. .

I'm over the blame Hurney bullshit. Yeah, he left us a cap mess and didn't do a great job overall, hence why he got fired. But, some of our key pieces were acquired by Hurney. Cam, Luke, Josh Norman, Charles Johnson, until last off season Greg Hardy.

I'd take a cap mess as a new GM if I was inheriting young cornerstone players at key positions like Cam and Luke. Not often does a new GM walk in with the leaders for the next decade on both sides of the ball already in place.

True....but Hurney drafted way more busts than he did studs.

Even a blind squirrell.....

You are right that Gettleman has brought in young talent. But in a year or two the next step comes into play. Who do we let go? When you consistently draft well in the later rounds you end up with more free agents than you can keep. We've seen the Giants let talented Wide Recievers and pass rushers sign elsewhere because they wouldn't deviate from their budget. So that is the next step for Gettleman, deciding who stays, and who goes.

In fact that was Marty Hurney's downfall. He had some talent that he personally drafted and he wouldn't let anyone walk. I would expect Gettleman  to let some guys walk but will he let the right guys walk?

Wouldn't it be crazy if Kugz got healthy and actually was a competent player? We never saw him actually play. He got injured then an infection then more injuries. The odds are low but maybe he can get his body right.

The fact that DG in two offseason has completely rebuilt this team with young, cheap talent is unprecedented in our team's history. He honestly has become one of the best GMs in the league along with Schneider and Newsome. I don't think any team in the league over the last 3 years has had the draft success that we have had. It's unheard of to have a team go 5-1 during a playoff push while starting 5 rookies from one draft (not counting brown which makes 6).

Out of 11 total picks:

Star - starter played at pro bowl level last year

Short - starter played at pro bowl level last 2 years

Klein - starter for part of the year

Kugz - bust

Barner - bust

KB - starter (future pro bowler)

Boston - starter

Turner - starter

Bene - starter

Ealy - starter

It's not only the players he picked up..it's the ones he cut as well. Godfrey was garbage so instead of pulling a Hurney, cut him. Same with Cason. So far he's proving to be head and shoulders better than any GM we've ever had both with talent eval and contract situations.

Hurney brought up the cap mess earlier in the interview. He took a jab at himself. G-man referenced it later as a tongue-in-cheek response later. Don't see anything awkward about the exchange at all. There was no need for Hurney to respond, and the change of subject was within the natural flow of the interview.

Come on, Huddle. We are not teenage girls here.

Morgan, moose, smitty, rucker, Jenkins, minter

None if them were Hurney picks

Well with that rationale, let's congratulate Hurney on building the first ever team that went to back to back playoff appearances in the 20+ years of the franchise, for where this team is today, and where ever Kuechly , CJ, Cam, Norman, Stewart, etc. take them from here.  

Kuechly

CJ

Cam

Stewart

DeAngelo

Gross

Munnerlyn

Kalil

Hardy

J Norman

etc...

Archived