• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Gettleman to Marty Hurney - You left us a cap mess, but drafted a hell of a QB

Jeremy Igo

Hurney pretty much hit his first round picks out of the park to a degree almost no GM does over that stretch.

Actually probably can't find a GM who has done better in round one over that length

Can we count Everette Brown since he cost us a high second and a first round pick?

You don't think you're being a little out of context??

Marty said early in the interview taking a shot at himself. .

"You've done a great job of changing the talent level on the roster even thoe the moron before you left you in a cap mess"

They were joking at Marty expense all interview. .

You're making it seem like it was a confrontation which it wasn't. . A very respectful and fun interview by both GM'S. .

I didn't take it that way at all. But I can't speak for others. Can't wait to get off work and listen.

You don't think you're being a little out of context??

Marty said early in the interview taking a shot at himself. .

"You've done a great job of changing the talent level on the roster even thoe the moron before you left you in a cap mess"

They were joking at Marty expense all interview. .

You're making it seem like it was a confrontation which it wasn't. . A very respectful and fun interview by both GM'S. .

I called it "a bit of a dig" which it was.

He was asked about Cam. Gettleman didn't have to mention Hurney's cap mess at all, but he did anyways.

Thats a dig.

I'm over the blame Hurney bullshit. Yeah, he left us a cap mess and didn't do a great job overall, hence why he got fired. But, some of our key pieces were acquired by Hurney. Cam, Luke, Josh Norman, Charles Johnson, until last off season Greg Hardy.

I'd take a cap mess as a new GM if I was inheriting young cornerstone players at key positions like Cam and Luke. Not often does a new GM walk in with the leaders for the next decade on both sides of the ball already in place.

Can we count Everette Brown since he cost us a high second and a first round pick?

count him.....can you name a GM that did better with first rounders in a 11 year stretch?

Hurney had tons of flaws. Did one thing great

Cam and Kuechly.

blind squirrel I guess

Rivera wanted both and begged for them (actually, he begged for Cam--He liked Luke, but he wanted Mark Barron, I think).  Don't forget, Marty had just made an ass of himself when he tried to freelance without coach input--the result?  Clausen, Armanti Edwards, Eric Norwood, Tony Pike. Lafell was OK.  The worst draft in team history.

I remember hearing back in 2011 or so that Marty was leaning Blaine Gabbert at one time.  Cannot confirm.

Rivera wanted both and begged for them (actually, he begged for Cam--He liked Luke, but he wanted Mark Barron, I think).  Don't forget, Marty had just made an ass of himself when he tried to freelance without coach input--the result?  Clausen, Armanti Edwards, Eric Norwood, Tony Pike. Lafell was OK.  The worst draft in team history.

I remember hearing back in 2011 or so that Marty was leaning Blaine Gabbert at one time.  Cannot confirm.

Oh yeah, if Barron is on the board I could have seen us taking him. Thanks Tampa!

that 2010 draft sure was a thing of beauty, espically when you consider we traded *up* to draft Armanti

I'm over the blame Hurney bullshit. Yeah, he left us a cap mess and didn't do a great job overall, hence why he got fired. But, some of our key pieces were acquired by Hurney. Cam, Luke, Josh Norman, Charles Johnson, until last off season Greg Hardy.

I'd take a cap mess as a new GM if I was inheriting young cornerstone players at key positions like Cam and Luke. Not often does a new GM walk in with the leaders for the next decade on both sides of the ball already in place.

Additionally, I love how people never seem to mention the fact that he also built the team that went to the franchise's only Superbowl appearance. The guy hasn't watched one since because he never got over losing that game. 

That's pre Cam though so many don't "remember" that he put that team together. 

The polite thing would have been for Gettleman to laugh it off and say the cap wasn't so bad and that they were working with it. Easily done.

Its one thing for someone to take a fun jab at himself, quite another to have his replacement do it. I promise you there was a little "stick it to ya" in there even though light hearted.

It's a misleading title. It sounds like two colleagues chumming it up. Both Marty and Dave knows whats up. It's nice they can talk to eachother without any egos coming out.

Gentleman reiterated he likes the Tackles and WRs in this draft. I've heard some Huddle Draftnicks say this is a bad year for offensive tackle so it's good to hear Gettleman knows something we don't. Everyone was mad we didn't draft a tackle last year but maybe this is the year. Gettleman didn't want to commit to the wrong guy.

Additionally, I love how people never seem to mention the fact that he also built the team that went to the franchise's only Superbowl appearance. The guy hasn't watched one since because he never got over losing that game. 

That's pre Cam though so many don't "remember" that he put that team together. 

Giving Jake Delhomme that huge contract extension after the awful Cardinals playoff performance might be clouding their memory a bit.

Archived