• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Gettleman to Marty Hurney - You left us a cap mess, but drafted a hell of a QB

Jeremy Igo

I'm no Hurney apologist but from 2003-2006 the Panthers team Hurney helped build was a legit contender with a super bowl loss and an NFC Championship game loss. That's pretty damn close in my book.

By some weird unofficial board policy, you are required to ignore Hurney's first five years in any performance review, and instead focus on his last four, which coincidentally took place when JR returned from heart surgery and fired his sons.

Kuechly- deserves credit for that selection

CJ- good pick who was given an unjustifiably gigantic contract by hurney

Cam- no brainer at the top of the draft

Stewart- guy whose paycheck far outpaced his production until the last quarter of this season

DeAngelo- same as above except for the "productive" part

Gross- gone

Munnerlyn- production easily replaced by a rookie

Kalil- good pick who is getting paid a lot of money for his position relative to the rest of the NFL

Hardy- didn't even play this year

J Norman- nobody knew what we had in him until literally like three months ago

hurney's restructure of steve smith in 2012 also led to his release this year. for everything good williams, johnson, and stewart have done their cap figures have crippled this team at the same time. if he deserves credit for good stuff he deserves the same for the bad.

I understand what you are trying to say..... But.....

To say the teams all time leading rusher was unproductive is a little far fetched wouldn't u say?

By some weird unofficial board policy, you are required to ignore Hurney's first five years in any performance review, and instead focus on his last four, which coincidentally took place when JR returned from heart surgery and fired his sons.

And the heavily Richardson influenced lockout window....where Jerry wanted statements made

In defense of cam being the only player leftd form 2011, that's normal. Its as young mans game, after four/five years most times only one or two players will remain. And most times it is the first pick gross was it, gamble was it, etc etc. Injuries, cap, and free agency also make it harder to keep players long than five years. Remember the average life span of a player is +/- 4 years, cause at that point the pool players is cheaper, stronger, and faster form four years ago.

The consensus was to draft Cam. Only a minority wanted to go in another direction. Most GMs take Cam considering where we were talent wise in 2011.

Nah, man. It was the other way around from where I was sitting.  The consensus was to take Dareus.  The anti-Cam sentiment was not from a minority.

I get your point (hence the pie), but this thread shouldn't have been about the quality of draft picks in my opinion. It should be about the business side of football.  I am no cap genius by any stretch of the imagination---none. That's not really my thing. But I literally said "What the fug?", after hearing of Delhomme's re-signing, and I didn't understand why Williams AND Stew were paid so much.  I didn't think it was a good idea at the time, and I don't know if it was at the same time, a year after or what, but I remember when Gore was in contractual negotiations with Frisco and received so much less, and thought that we were in trouble.  

All that being said, in regards to personnel, I believe that Hurney did a nice job when you look at his overall record.  He wasn't the personnel savant that G-man ostensibly is, but----provided that G-man continues on this "tear"---not many are.  Too many in the Huddle have this bad characteristic of completely tearing down ex-players and coaches once they leave Carolina, regardless of whether they were, fair, good or even great while they were here.  

Revisionist history and cherry picking are alive and well in the Huddle.

Archived