• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Gettleman to Marty Hurney - You left us a cap mess, but drafted a hell of a QB

Jeremy Igo

Gettleman is a trip, thought it was genuine laughter from Hurney - sounds like these guys are buddies.

That was my whole point I was making. . This thread made it seem like a confrontational situation which it wasn't. It was a pretty good interview. .

It was called a spending spree by every Panthers beat writer.. And again Jerry made it clear we were doing things our way now right before it happened. .

I love how you hate being wrong and your constant disagreements with me aren't going unnoticed. .

Are you still mad about the Stephen Hill debate 2-3 years ago? ?

Dude you were wrong now move on..

I think the other guy is winning the argument. I guess everyone is wrong.

I think the other guy is winning the argument. I guess everyone is wrong.

Yeah he's winning the argument while again most of the major players on the team are Hurney picks and also he hasn't disproving that other people had the idea that Hurney wasn't the only person to blame for these contracts..

I'd also like to point out how many people were happy about the Beason and other contracts when it happened.

But I don't care if I win or lose this.. it's just my opinion anyway...

It was called a spending spree by every Panthers beat writer.. And again Jerry made it clear we were doing things our way now right before it happened. .

I love how you hate being wrong and your constant disagreements with me aren't going unnoticed. .

Are you still mad about the Stephen Hill debate 2-3 years ago? ?

Dude you were wrong now move on..

I do not know what you are talking about. I disagree with you because you are not right.  I don't take you personally; I find you a bit humorous.  You are wrong a lot and don't realize it--that is OK-I admire your dedication to your point of view. If you recall conflicts with people from 2 years ago, maybe this board means more to you than it should.  

You said "Jerry wanted a spending spree."  That is wrong-period.  That is what I challenged. 

You then back that up by saying that is what the beat writers called it.  JR does not talk to the press.  Regardless, you are telling me what the press said.  I challenged what you said about Richardson.

I explained that Jerry wanted the $$ to be spent because he did make a comment that he was not being cheap and he wanted to win--that is not calling for a spending spree, it is saying that he wants all of the cap to go toward players; MH made the decisions about how to spend it--which led to his removal as GM.  It was Marty that caused the writers to refer to this as a spending spree--you are linking his actions to JR based on an accumulation of information fragments that you incorrectly aligned to defend the premise of a comment you cannot support.

Bottom Line:  Jerry did not endorse a "spending spree." 

I do not know what you are talking about. I disagree with you because you are not right. I don't take you personally; I find you a bit humorous. You are wrong a lot and don't realize it--that is OK-I admire your dedication to your point of view. If you recall conflicts with people from 2 years ago, maybe this board means more to you than it should.

You said "Jerry wanted a spending spree." That is wrong-period. That is what I challenged.

You then back that up by saying that is what the beat writers called it. JR does not talk to the press. Regardless, you are telling me what the press said. I challenged what you said about Richardson.

I explained that Jerry wanted the $$ to be spent because he did make a comment that he was not being cheap and he wanted to win--that is not calling for a spending spree, it is saying that he wants all of the cap to go toward players; MH made the decisions about how to spend it--which led to his removal as GM. It was Marty that caused the writers to refer to this as a spending spree--you are linking his actions to JR based on an accumulation of information fragments that you incorrectly aligned to defend the premise of a comment you cannot support.

Bottom Line: Jerry did not endorse a "spending spree."

Your opinion.. I see Marty as Jerry puppet specially when Fox left and many others have the same idea. Marty wouldn't have made that big of a financial agreement without Jerry's consent and again this wasn't a isolated idea from just one beat writer. .

So you can believe what you want. . I believe Hurney and Jerry should take blame not just Marty..

Your opinion.. I see Marty as Jerry puppet specially when Fox left and many others have the same idea. Marty wouldn't have made that big of a financial agreement without Jerry's consent and again this wasn't a isolated idea from just one beat writer. .

So you can believe what you want. . I believe Hurney and Jerry should take blame not just Marty..

Answer this one question--the central issue that you are trying to avoid:

Do you think that Jerry Richardson told Marty Hurney to go on a "spending spree?"  This is a "Yes" or "No" answer. 

Your opinion.. I see Marty as Jerry puppet specially when JR returned from surgery and many others have the same idea. Marty wouldn't have made that big of a financial agreement without Jerry's consent and again this wasn't a isolated idea from just one beat writer. .

FIFY.  Before JR came back from his heart operation, Hurney signed FAs regularly (Wahle, Hartwig, Keyshawn, Lucas, etc...).  Hurney did go all-in on the 2008 draft to get Otah, and for at least one season that looked like a brilliant idea.

After JR came back we had the whole Peppers mess, ended up trading up again for Browne (and later Edwards too), got into contract hell, and then looked pretty under-achieving in the first couple years of the Rivera era.  

It's like two GMs in one!  But I haven't changed the tin-foil in my hat for over a week, so take it with a grain of salt...

Not when Marty did it to himself saying the exact same thing 2 minutes before. .

Dave was joking because Marty was self defecating and it was a respectful back and forth. . Dave would have never said the line before giving props for drafting Cam if Marty wouldn't have done it 1st. .

Self defecating?

Answer this one question--the central issue that you are trying to avoid:

Do you think that Jerry Richardson told Marty Hurney to go on a "spending spree?" This is a "Yes" or "No" answer.

Yes I think Jerry told Marty after he was being accused of being cheap to do whatever to resign the core of the team..

Archived