• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers 2015 NFL Draft Roundup - Round 1

Jeremy Igo

Here are what some of the more popular NFL Mock Draft websites are saying about the Panthers first round selection....

Walter Football

La'el Collins, OT, LSU

The Panthers couldn't block for Cam Newton whatsoever earlier in the season. The offensive line has been able to gel, but there are still some glaring holes there, particularly at both tackle positions.

Bucky Brooks NFL.COM

La'el Collins, OT, LSU

It’s time for GM Dave Gettleman to upgrade the protection around Cam Newton.

Drafttek

Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin

Running Back is not the first position that comes to mind when you think about the Panthers' needs. However, DeAngelo Williams may not return and if the often-injured Jonathan Stewart is the lead back, the Panthers would be rolling the dice. Even if Stewart stays healthy, he will be 28 going into next season. Gordon would be the future. He reminds me of a bigger and stronger version of Jamaal Charles.

CBS Sports

Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami

The Panthers need offensive line help in the worst way and unless they address the position in free agency, tackle is the favorite to be the pick here. This pick had been Texas A&M's Cedric Ogbuehi, but he will likely fall out of the first round due to his ACL tear, making Flowers a possibility for Carolina.

FOX Sports

T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh

Clemmings might be the most athletic tackle in this draft class. The 6-foot-5, 310-pound tackle isn't a road paver, per se, but he has great footwork and fluidity. He needs some work on the technical aspects of the game, but can contribute during his rookie season. Carolina's offensive line was a mess before hitting its stride in the season's final month. The unit could use a top-flight talent like Cummings.

NFL Draft Geek

Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami

I'm not a Cam Newton supporter in the slightest, but you have to give him credit for managing any sort of offense behind arguably the worst offensive tackle combination in the NFL. Left tackle Byron Bell and right tackle Nate Chandler combined to be receive a negative 49.5 grade from Pro Football Focus, a combined 16 QB sacks allowed and Bell ranking second in the NFL 38 QB hurries allowed. Luckily for Carolina the 2015 NFL Draft is exceptionally deep with offensive tackles and they should be able to get a pretty good one late in the first round. Behind Andrus Peat, Miami's Ereck Flowers is my favorite as he's proven to be a nasty, tough and reliable left tackle who buries defenders in the run game. - See more at: 

I know OT is a big need, but when I see these mocks, I think back to what Getts said to Voth:

“If you have a guy here in a position you need, and you have three guys up here at various positions that are all much better prospects than this guy, you can’t reach down here. When you reach you get in trouble.”

I really don't think an OT worthy of a 1st will be available. I think some of these guys like Collins and Flowers will end up going higher than they're projected.

Pending moves made in FA, WR or DE will be the pick IMO.

Archived