• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Question About Honor

fitty76

I'm sure every football talking head will bring up the word 'honor' or 'respect for the game' when the talk about the deflated balls.

They all get on their high horse of indigence and make ridiculous statements about the Patriots.  

But I have a question. If there is so much honor and respect for the game and "The Shield," why do play signals have the be disguised?  Weather it's an assistants holding up towels around the signal caller or a coach hold a play-sheet over his mouth. Why does this need to happen if coaches, players and teams are so honorable?  Shouldn't you be able to call the plays you want without worrying about the other team stealing your signs?  I mean this is an honorable game played by men of respect.  At least that's what the ex-athlete, ex-coaches on the networks will tell you.  

I'm sure every football talking head will bring up the word 'honor' or 'respect for the game' when the talk about the deflated balls.

They all get on their high horse of indigence and make ridiculous statements about the Patriots.  

But I have a question. If there is so much honor and respect for the game and "The Shield," why do play signals have the be disguised?  Weather it's an assistants holding up towels around the signal caller or a coach hold a play-sheet over his mouth. Why does this need to happen if coaches, players and teams are so honorable?  Shouldn't you be able to call the plays you want without worrying about the other team stealing your signs?  I mean this is an honorable game played by men of respect.  At least that's what the ex-athlete, ex-coaches on the networks will tell you.  

Because regardless of all that, at the end of the day, Belichick has proven that there are people in the league who are more than willing to cheat if they think it gives them an advantage.

why would anybody bring up honor or respect for the game? It's just about following the rules, nothing honorable about that, that is just a basic expectation.

Honor would be something that would be brought up if someone went beyond just following the rules to do something honorable.

why do play signals have the be disguised? Weather it's an assistants holding up towels around the signal caller or a coach hold a play-sheet over his mouth. Why does this need to happen... Shouldn't you be able to call the plays you want without worrying about the other team stealing your signs?

while it is against the rules to videotape the other team's signals, it is not against the rules to look at the signals the other team is using. In fact, it is customary for teams to send out advance scouts to watch the signals the other team uses

ESPN:

"All teams have advance scouts who watch and log opponents' personnel groupings and record the signals they see from the sideline."

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=3394809&src=desktop&wjb

The "for the love of the game" and "honor" mentality is just about entirely gone now, there is simply too much money in it all.

Of course there are still athletes who share that unrelenting passion for the game, but they are much fewer in numbers now.

Archived