• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Senior Bowl Thread

Jeremy Igo

Dan Morgan probably there for the Seahawks.

I was standing right next to Drew Rosenhaus years ago when he first called New Orleans about Dan playing there.

Could've broke the news to the world but I was young and dumb and didn't know what I had.

Henry Anderson the DE from Stanford is someone who we could be looking at in the mid rounds, big powerful guy

6'6" 287 lbs. Sounds like he'll be a better fit right away at LDE. If they want to move him to DT (since he also played nose guard at Stanford) it'll take a year for him to bulk up

Tyler Varga, everyone. Dude is a freak. 

My buddy played with him at Western University in the CIS before Varga transfered to Yale. All I would hear about was how Varga, at the age of 18, was going to the NFL and when I heard he played RB I didn't think anything of it.. until I finally got to see him play. My friend and I laughed when we heard they had him at FB during this week (how typical to have a big, white guy there), but based on many of the scouts I've heard from there's little reason for them to keep his talents there, although he's been killing it. 

Anyways, think it's awesome that a Canadian I've been paying attention to for a while now has been sticking out this week and gaining recognition. Hopefully his draft stock doesn't rise too much so we can get him at a discount, but based on this week that may be out of the question. 

I'm gonna post all my observations later today from the week.

Had a nice quick chat with Mike Craft today, who always catches me off guard with how nice he is. Knew his stuff too, was big fan of Trenton Brown.

Havent seen Voth yet. Kept an eye out. Always a rare chance to talk Panthers football with somebody when youre out of state.

Here are the notes I took from the practices this week. Warning: I may have varying opinions on certain players than other human beings.

Senior Bowl Day 1 North Practice

Steve Nelson-Active. Hundred mph. Sportsmanship. Fun to watch, Scrappy.

Ty Montgomery-Strong upper body frame.

Rob Havenstein-Massive. Stance may be a be a tad high, hurts his first step quickness. Seems to have issue with speed rush. Manifested on tape, visible here. Stance correction could be source, could simply be his size. Strong run blocking showing.

TJ Clemmings-Tall. Uses hands well, though some struggles in early portion of practice in this area. Feet quickness can be inconsistent-sometimes sluggish, sometimes strong. Gets beat by speed rush. Has some admirable traits, but seems to be more a mid 2nd rounder. Nice developmental project.

Trenton Brown-Huge NFL body. Size may affect his leverage, small delay in trying to engage defenders with hands after a pretty strong first step. "Swings" hands up from sides just prior to engaging defender-awkward, but beneficial as it keeps his hands tight and low-necessary when you're that big. Occasionally looks confused. High stance (inevitable)

Donovan Smith- Consistently strong. Seems to get beat on first step but recovers well, digs in and makes the block. Heavy hands when run blocking. Fires off ball and jars defender off balance. Drives to finish. Nimble feet. Moves very well.

Ali Marpet- Is obviously here to prove a point. Kind of impressive watching him. Kid is playing with a vengeance.

Justin Hardy-Explosive off snap. Could probably stand to build some strength. Needs to utilize arms more off ball-would complement explosive first step. This is magnified verse press, when DB is off it's eliminated and he gets open fairly quickly. Has a drop on ball thrown a little behind him. Later makes nice catch across middle.

Adrian Amos. Long, safety like frame. Gets good positioning for INT in 7on7, drops pick.

Tony Lippett-Hands catcher. Solid NFL size. Nice startup off snap. Decisive movements.

Ben Koyack-Strong blocking showing, makes nice contested catch.

Senior Bowl Day 2 North Practice

Justin Hardy-poor drop. Is willing blocker. Continues to display quickness off line and out of breaks-where he usually wins the routes he does win. Hands catcher. still could stand to utilize hands more when engaging defenders on routes. Top end speed isn't exceptional,but burst is very good.

Donovan Smith -had a poor play versus a bull rush. Played well overall. Still my favorite OT prospect here. Isn't as big has Havenstein (solid showing) or Brown, but better player.

Carl Davis-Massive, powerful. Extremely tenacious, plays aggressively. Good speed for DL when running. Heavy hands, effective rips.

Hau'oli Kikaha-Strong showing. Has used speed rush well. Could use hands better to disengage blockers. Aggressive, but keeps eyes in backfield so he doesn't overrun.

TJ Clemmings-garnered some love yesterday, validating it. Still raw, doesn't maintain leverage at times. Did good job using hands to control blockers today. Improved over some early issues yesterday

Senior Bowl Day 2 South Practice

Stephone Anthony-NFL build. Burst.

Clive Walford- Good TE speed, height/size/speed. Catches nice ball in drills. Hands/arms blocker. Strong.

Sammi Coates. Hands catcher. Making nice high catches routinely. Looks natural catching football. Hard runner, could ease into cuts a bit better. Makes nice contested catch in traffic on post. Makes nice move on out-n-up. Typically critiqued for hands, has impressed this week.

Lorenzo Mauldin-Excellent frame for OLB, may be better suited to 34. Closing speed, ball skills.

Dezmin Lewis-spectacular catch on sideline. Nfl measurables

La'el Collins-False start. Powerful when let loose to run block. Gets to second level. Can get beat off snap when pass blocking. Disengages man too quick on screen, ball carrier is tackled as result. Feet stay active, maintains leverage routinely.

Senior Bowl North Practice Day 3

Jamison Crowder-looks quick, sharp on cold morning, shows nice effort in run blocking, limited by size however-High points ball well.

Ali Marpet-Stingy. Tough. Aggressive. Won't get publicity because of D3 background, but difficult not to like after 3 strong showings. Looks the part of a Center, but H/W unofficial listing isn't shabby for OT. Plays mean. Is playing at RG in RZ drills. Doing well.

Justin Hardy-good separation, catch in drills. Probably not best option for 9 routes. Is quick and explosive out of cuts, but struggles to get separation on verts

Quandre Diggs-nice INT in WR-DB drills. Uses hands to redirect receivers. Lights into ballcarrier on one play-makes massive hit that wakes the crowd up/fires teammates up. Gets up celebrates. Well earned.

Kurtis Drummond-makes correct read from opposite side of field at Safety spot and identifies reverse as soon as ball is snapped.

Devin Smith-reminds me of Devier Posey in that he has NFL body, nice frame, natural hands catcher, but lacks real refinement or athleticism to compensate for it. Known for great speed, but hasn't showcased it here.

Tj Clemmings-ups and downs today. Is playing RT in RZ drills.

Senior Bowl Day 3 South Practice

La'el Collins-Great OT body. Looks like a LT. Pass protecting well.

Sammi Coates-nice TD fade catch in 1on1s. Vocal-in positive way. Encourages teammates. Helps off ground. Excited about others big plays.

Tyler Lockett-nice move in 1on1 for Td.

Kevin White-Nice INT on under thrown ball. Redirects with arms. Fluid movements, isn't biting on double moves. Risk of occasionally initiating too much contact. Gets burnt on curl-risk with his style of play. Combine will be big-strong speed showcase will help stock.

Lorenzo Mauldin-gets suckered into misdirection, whiffs on tackle, ballcarrier gets big yardage.

Nick Marshall-showing some promise at DB. Quick backpedal. Dedicated to keeping receivers in front of him. Gets caught with eyes in backfield.

Clive Walford-strong showing again today. Blocks well.

Cody Prewitt-Plops in perfect position for gimme INT, drop. Occasionally stiff waisted.

Weren't a whole lot of risers and fallers this year. Everybody mostly solidified themselves.

Here are a few guys I thought did manage to help themselves:

Donovan Smith- may have been my favorite player this week. Great quickness for an OL, uses arms well. Strong showings at practice everyday. I think he's a legitimate 1st round OT prospect right now.

Sammi Coates-I didn't see him put a ball on the ground all week, he was extremely vocal, building his teammates up, quick, explosive, and consistent.

Clive Walford-this is the name you've probably heard floating around if you've been tracking coverage. He's an athletic specimen, well rounded as a quick pass catcher and effective blocker up front, he can get open, he can catch the ball, he's strong and fast. A very well rounded TE that could be one of the first TE's off the board.

While it isn't top heavy, this is a pretty deep OT class. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we stayed away from the position for the most part during free agency and went hard and heavy on it come draft weekend. Lot of guys really impressed there this week.

Archived