• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Senior Bowl Thread

Jeremy Igo

I think it's entirely possible that the draft shapes up a lot like last year. The depth at that position will convince a lot of teams to wait on getting one, and we have one of the better first tier a Kelvin Benjaminesque options fall to us. There isn't much separating he top guys from the tier just below them, and teams in the Top 16 or so may decide just nab one with their 2nd round pick.

I think you should start a thread on this.  This is very interesting and has me thinking about the mindset of the draft--not simply ranking players according to need.

I see the following with first round potential (I am including the bit of info that could hurt a team's willingness to pull the trigger early in the first round, or decide to wait:

Scherff--"I think he's going to be a dominant guard, but could also play right tackle. " http://www.bigblueview.com/2015/1/21/7629573/2015-nfl-draft-brandon-scherff-ot-iowa-scouting-report (who wants that with a top 20 pick?  I hear Scouts are mixed on whether he is a g or a T, even more discouraged about using him as a LT.)

Peat-"Comes off the ball too high and doesn't explode through his hips to drive opponents backward, settling to turn and seal. In pass pro, he will occasionally get lazy and bend at the waist, leaning into pass rushers and inviting counter-moves back to the inside."  (Not much not to like here, and I think Peat goes in the top half of the first round.)

Flowers- "Some times he does more waist bending rather than knee bending, which NFL teams prefer." (I really like Flowers, and hoe that he drops to us in the first round.  However, I am not sure that he is a good fit for us.)

Collins-"some of his critics think he should play guard or right tackle in the NFL....In speaking with multiple NFL teams, one says Collins has a second-round grade and views him as a guard. Another feels Collins can be a very good guard who plays right away and possibly develops into a tackle, while a third team feels Collins is a right tackle who could go late first, but more likely in the second round. They all feel he needs to improve his technique.(I heard, all-pro G, so-so T...If the Panthers feel that way, and he is sitting there at 25, there could be some upset Panther fans when gettlemen drafts a DL or S)

Clemmings- "He was a defensive end to start out his collegiate career and moved to right tackle as a junior. " http://walterfootball.com/draft2015OT.php     (We already have a Chandler....Heard that he has been poor in Senior Bowl practices....probably dropped to second round.)

These are the OTs who have a shot at the first round, IMO.  I am not sure I would take anyone beyond the top 3 if they fell because we have other needs and there is not much of a drop off between them and a player like Humphries., Fisher, or Donovan Smith.

Archived