• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Duron Carter had dinner with Rivera and Gettleman lastnight.

PanthersUnited

hey, psst...

you're the one who compared nicks and carter originally einstein

Hey psst... You're lacking context, Einstein.

Scot brought up Nicks' salary in a previous discussion about us passing him up and said his production was not worth what he got paid. I argued that regardless of salary, Nicks wouldve been much more productive here because he would've had far less competition at his position.

So, Scot brought up his salary again here in this thread in justifying us not signing Carter because I sarcastically compared it with the Nicks situation.

So I replied back to him asking if Carter would be making 3.5 mail, being that he mentioned it AGAIN, and being that it was the crux of his argument.

Point being, Carter won't be making that much...

You might want to wait and gather all of that information before taking shots at someone, or you know, just not comment on it.

Hey psst... You're lacking context, Einstein.

Scot brought up Nicks' salary in a previous discussion about us passing him up and said his production was not worth what he got paid. I argued that regardless of salary, Nicks wouldve been much more productive here because he would've had far less competition at his position.

So, Scot brought up his salary again here in this thread in justifying us not signing Carter because I sarcastically compared it with the Nicks situation.

So I replied back to him asking if Carter would be making 3.5 mail, being that he mentioned it AGAIN, and being that it was the crux of his argument.

Point being, Carter won't be making that much...

You might want to wait and gather all of that information before taking shots at someone, or you know, just not comment on it.

if you're going to draw the comparison in the first place then you should be willing to compare all relevant aspects of it, like the value of a contract compared to their performance.  otherwise you're cherry picking.

and yeah i remember that discussion.  it's hilarious that you're still salty about hakeem nicks.

Did Bersin get overpaid for what he did last season?

We're out of the business of overpaying players for hype.

Lol, why do you keep bringing up salary?

You had a valid reason for mentioning it in regards to nicks... Although I still argue that it may have been justified here because his production here would likely have justified that salary due to having an expanded role by default.

That being said, salary is an afterthought here... It should have no bearing on whether we sign him or not. It'll be interesting to see what he ends up getting paid, but if he produces more than say, Cotchery, it would've been worth paying him because I don't foresee him commanding more than 1.5 mil this season.

if you're going to draw the comparison in the first place then you should be willing to compare all relevant aspects of it, like the value of a contract compared to their performance. otherwise you're cherry picking.

and yeah i remember that discussion. it's hilarious that you're still salty about hakeem nicks.

If you remember it then why did you insult me as though you had no idea Scot and I discussed those things previously?

Anyway, obviously, one does consider all of those things, and as I have said repeatedly, it wouldn't have bothered me one bit to pay him that instead of divying it up between Cotchery and Avant and get that production out of one guy with greater potential and better measurable than either of those guys have.

In this scenario, I would gladly pay the relatively little Carter would be asking for to see what he could provide us. I'm willing to bet he's better right now than Bersin is.

I'm not salty about Nicks, I'm salty about our habit as a franchise to rest on our laurels and historically neglect positions of need. Everyone on this board knew the tackles and wide reciever were HUGE problems prior to the offseason, and yet, we got worse at both positions. If we make any move of significance at either of those spots, we most likely wouldve had more than 7 wins and possibly another playoff win.

Regardless, this season was this season. I'm proud of what we accomplished with the little we had at certain spots. We overachieved. But, I want to bring in as much competition as possible at those spots with significant additions in the draft and free agency... Trust that when we do that, I won't sound nearly as salty.

Lol, why do you keep bringing up salary?

You had a valid reason for mentioning it in regards to nicks... Although I still argue that it may have been justified here because his production here would likely have justified that salary due to having an expanded role by default.

That being said, salary is an afterthought here... It should have no bearing on whether we sign him or not. It'll be interesting to see what he ends up getting paid, but if he produces more than say, Cotchery, it would've been worth paying him because I don't foresee him commanding more than 1.5 mil this season.

We got three guys for the price of one, but you think we'd have been better if it were the other way around?

Seriously?

You might have an argument if Nicks had outproduced all three guys, but he didn't even outproduce Cotchery.

And the excuse that he didn't play enough doesn't fly. If he were really as good as you seem to think he is, he would have earned playing time.

You'll have to pardon me if I don't find the argument that we should have paid more for a guy who couldn't beat out the backup tight end compelling.

We got three guys for the price of one, but you think we'd have been better if it were the other way around?

Seriously?

You might have an argument if Nicks had outproduced all three guys, but he didn't even outproduce Cotchery.

And the excuse that he didn't play enough doesn't fly. If he were really as good as you seem to think he is, he would have earned playing time.

You'll have to pardon me if I don't find the argument that we should have paid more for a guy who couldn't beat out the backup tight end compelling.

But you're continuing to minimize who he had to beat out. Wayne is a future hall of fame, Hilton is better than anything we have, and Moncrief showed huge potential late.

Not excusing it, but weren't there rumors before that Nicks wasn't a good practice player and/or had a poor work ethic? That's not a good thing, but he may be a guy that just shows up and when put in the right position, plays and excels. I doubt Pagano allowed him to do that.

And you're also giving our guys too much credit... But it's the same scenario at play. Cotchery put up the numbers he did because he was put in a position to, whether he deserved it or not. I seriously doubt any other team in the league wouldve had Cotchery as their #1 or #2. He put up numbers because he had to. If he was a #4, do you think he would put up similar numbers to Nicks? I don't.

And yes, I would take him over Cotchery, Avant, and Bersin because if given their playing time, undeserved like those three did, he would put up bigger numbers with it.

Those three guys might work hard and be professional, but that doesn't mean they deserved the prominent roles they were awarded here simply because the talent pool was so shallow.

we need speed and after the catch to supplement Olsen and KB who are both possession receivers. Cobb would just be so perfect if salary cap was not involved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I would much rather have Maclin. He will be cheaper. He is a way better value, and may be the better receiver overall after it's all said and done.

Archived