• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So what FAs are Tiffanys and what FAs are Target?

PanthersUnited

On a side note, does anyone think the dollar store comment was slightly disrespectful? A friend brought up to me that potential free agents hear those kinds of things and that can affect their willingness to come play here. I'm not sure I agree because I think those kinds of players realize that they are indeed bargain bin players, but I thought it was an interesting perspective.

Possibly could have phrased it better, like saying they had a dollar store budget or something. I could see a player being a bit irritated at that comment, but I doubt if affects any potential signings. Guys want to play.

On a side note, does anyone think the dollar store comment was slightly disrespectful? A friend brought up to me that potential free agents hear those kinds of things and that can affect their willingness to come play here. I'm not sure I agree because I think those kinds of players realize that they are indeed bargain bin players, but I thought it was an interesting perspective.

These aren't high school kids. If they're reading message boards to determine whether they're wanted or not, then I don't want 'em. 

Derek Newton OT 

Take it for what it's worth but their RT spot was a big question mark at the start of the year and he did very well.  Only 27, started 16 games at RT and PFF's final OL ranking had Houston at #5. 

De'Norris Searcy SS

My front runner for the safety position in the FA.  Great run support, solid pass protection

Eddie Royal WR

He's been discussed and looking at this WR class, he'd be a very good fit for us.  

These aren't high school kids. If they're reading message boards to determine whether they're wanted or not, then I don't want 'em. 

Except the GM of the team said that at a press conference. A little different than a random fan on a message board. 

Also, we do have a little spending money now but I'd rather focus on signing can and luke. And seeing if hardy will play for a discount here. (Cue 18382927 responses saying he'll never play for us again). Besides that Id rather carry money over to next year when even more of the Hurney contracts are gone so we can possibly sign a big name FA

We have been signing FA's in the 1-1.5 million per year range.

Guess we can now get up around 3 million per year, whomever that encompasses

That might be a little generous. Several of the FAs were signed to vet min one year contracts.  For those that don't know, teams actually get a cap hit discount on these types of contracts.  For example Dickson earned 795k but his cap hit was only 635k.

Here is a list of our free agents last year we signed from other teams and their respective cap hits:

Cason          - 635k

Velasco        - 635k

Dickson        -635k

Webb            -635k

Avant            -1m

Decoud         -1.3m

Harper          -1.5m

Cotchery       -1.7m

Only 3 of these contracts are multi year deals.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Any player that is signing for the league minimum is doing so because they really don't have any other options.  If a bunch of other teams wanted them they wouldn't be signing for that amount.

I know a lot of people want to knock DG for his FA signings this past year but in reality he pretty much got what he paid for. 

I would caution people about getting too excited about DG's comments.  I really don't see him being a huge player in the free agent market with regards to the top free agents.  Those guys tend to get overpaid because of multiple teams bidding against each other. 

Also if he continues to draft well a lot of our free agent dollars are going to go towards resigning our own guys.  More times then not this is a more efficient use of cap space.  For example we might be able to extend a player like Norman cheaper now then if we wait a year and let him hit the open market.

Archived