• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Free Agent Talk - Chase Blackburn

Jeremy Igo

Chase Blackburn

Blackburn is a WLB and occasional plays SLB. Also a solid special teams contributor.

2014 Salary: 1,050,000

Overall PFF Grade: -1.3

Blackburn is a vocal player and well liked on the Panthers squad. He was placed on IR on October 28.

The Panthers have two very capable younger players in AJ Klein and Adarius Glanton on the roster under rookie contracts. Both Klein and Glanton gained experience this season and performed well. Also, the WLB position took a diminished role in 2014 as a nickel or buffalo package was used extensively.

Prognosis:

While I like Chase and feel he is still a NFL caliber player, the Panthers have two less expensive options already on the roster. AJ Klein and Adarius Glanton both proved capable of playing at a high level. Blackburns's one million dollar salary could be spent elsewhere in areas of need. I do not feel Blackburn will be extended an offer by the Panthers.

Blackburn can play MLB right, if unfortunately something happened to Luke?

I think that's his real value.  I don't think he should be a starter now but if he's willing to be a backup for backup money than I wouldn't mind it.  If we can find a better backup for Luke though that makes more sense, then I'd let him go.

Make the decision between Glanton and Blackburn this off-season. To me Glanton needs to size up a fair amount as he did get pushed around against Seattle. At the end of the day we don't need 6 LBs in the 53 when we run Nickel packages 40% of the time. If Glanton can bulk up in the offseason and continue to learn from TD and Luke he should get his opportunity. 

One thing to keep in mind is this: TD will be 32 next year and he still has three ACL reconstructions in his medical history. Dude has been All-Pro caliber as a 4-3 OLB the past two years, but time is a fickle mistress and I would want to have some reliable options on the roster in case something were to go wrong with TD and/or Luke. I'd want one more reliable option on the depth chart with Glanton and Klein.

Blackburn can play MLB right, if unfortunately something happened to Luke?

I think that's his real value.  I don't think he should be a starter now but if he's willing to be a backup for backup money than I wouldn't mind it.  If we can find a better backup for Luke though that makes more sense, then I'd let him go.

Now why you gotta go and say something like that man? Don't even SPEAK of it!

Archived