• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A story about JR from a former player.

Jeremy Igo

JR is a small part of why I became a fan here.  As a kid, I grew up as a fan of the saints (Being from louisiana and all), and if you want to truly see a human worth less than the shits he takes, look at Tom Benson.  After Katrina, and the devestation that happened to New Orleans, the guy was threatening to move the team from Louisiana, and had threatened to do so multiple times during my time on this earth.  It was then I realized if I'm a fan of a team because of where they're located, and this fat asshole carsalesman owner is willing to take that team away, then I can choose to pull for whatever team I want, and the Panthers gave Jake (greatest cajun QB ever) a chance.  I've gotten mad with him from time to time, but I've never thought that JR was a bad guy.  You read what people like Jake, TD, hell even Smitty have said about him, everyone loved him and loved playing for him.

If it wasn't for the man stepping up and having enough influence, the NFL wouldn't have bought a team here. Twenty years ago, Charlotte had cars going around in a circle for three hours and that was about it. Maybe someone else may have did it, but the fact is that he did. Will always appreciate him for that.

I love JR. as a person but I don't like his ownership lately. He's a great personable, caring, open owner, but he lacks greatly in the ability to make hard decisions based on numbers and not heart. Gettleman helps balance it but it's still to lenient on coaches.

I see this coming.

And agreed that the "JR must die for us to succeed" posts are juvenile nonsense.

And despite claims from some that they've never seen any such thing in these parts, those remarks happen ALL THE TIME around here, expecially after a tough loss, or a rainy day, or when ESPN tells us how mean he is, etc..

I sent JR a letter congratulating him on 20 years of owning the best NFL franchise and how much this team means to me, he wrote me back a very nice letter as well. In his letter he said that it was very important to him that the team represents the fans in a way that makes us proud. I could'nt be more proud of this 2014 team...we didn't win it all but we never gave up, we never backed down...We Keep Pounding!

What's actually more laughable is that you can still suggest he ever threatened to move the team when, in every situation where the topic has come up, he's not only clearly stated that he never wants to do this, but he's actually taken action to keep it from happening.

The hyperbole doesn't help your argument either. I've never said Richardson is the best owner in the world and if you look back within this very thread, you'll find I've criticized what I see as specific mistakes.

So no, I've never argued that he was perfect.

What I've argued against are the utterly ridiculous emotional stuff like that colossal rant you posted. What's especially amusing there is that you take Richardson to task for having the NFL shield at midfield while mentioning the Giants Mara as a "real owner", apparently without realizing that Giants stadium also has the NFL shield at midfield. Oh, and don't bother with the "shared stadium" bit. They repaint the end zones weekly. They could repaint midfield if they chose.

Frankly, the whole "he could win the next five Super Bowls and I still wouldn't like him" bit pretty much tells me all I need to know about your reasoning on this topic, and your credibility.

Bottom Line: You based an argument on something you claim happened. However, no actual evidence exists that it did, and plenty of evidence exists to show that it didn't, yet you still continue to believe it anyway.

Solid reasoning there :unsure:

Well you couldnt be more wrong on the shield at midfield point. The only reason the Giants have it is because they share a stadium with the jets. It would be pretty inconvenient to have to paint and get rid of a Giants and jets logo each week. They are the only other stadium in the NFL to do that, but agsin just you trying to manipulate facts to fit your agenda. There is no point in arguing with you because your mind it set. You refuse to believe reputable sources and stories on the issue at hand. In your mind JR would be do anythjng wrong so instead of using basic common sense you attack the credibility of the people and the reports.

You question my credibility because I said if they won I wouldn't think he was a good owner, which is funny to me. You are the same person who pretends to know what they are talking about and goes on about how awful of a coach rex is but he did get ton2 AFc championship games. You have said multiple times in these type of owner threads that Jerry jones is a bad owner but he has one super bowls. But what I've learned from my conversation with you is thrtr is no rhyme or reason to your points. you will pick and choose what you believe is credible to fit your point of the argument. You have pretty much said the New York times, deadapin, and jay feely are not credible sources. You will forever be grateful that JR brought a team to the Carolina's and will continue to be biased. I don't live nor was born in the Carolina's so I am able to see the truth. On his very best day he is a great guy who is a bottom 5 owner in the league.

Man, I do love how the internet has allowed people to go completely insane on a variety of topics.  Is Richardson a good guy?  Signs point to yes.  Is the NFL a for profit business?  Absolutely.  Do teams want to maximize their value?  Duh.  Do community want to keep their iconic businesses?  Yes.

This means that like any other tax subsidized business venture, there are going to be people who laud the decision for "reasons" while detractors claim their own "reasons."  Does this invalidate either point?  Nope.  If you don't like the business aspect of the NFL, then don't support it.  If you don't like the fact that the city is underwriting the team to ensure they stay here, then don't support the team and fight for different elected officials who won't allow tax dollars to be spent luring in businesses as their are better uses for those monies...

The stories about JR are really great.  Players who meet and interact with him want to stay here, they want to play for him.  Is he perfect?  Nope.  Is he a great businessman?  He's still in business and has a very valuable asset.  

I'm just asking that he not try and pilfer hundreds of millions of dollars of tax money that could be used for roads and schools so he can build a cathedral of profits for himself and also try to threaten to take the game away so that he can win the pointless game of "He who does the richest wins!" by squeezing money he could never spend away from employees who are probably ruining their brains for life. (Don't believe me? Listen to Phil Simms announce a game).

But hey the guy visits players in the hospital and likes kids and puppies, so whatever. Pilfer away!

Posts like this make me laugh because you show the true hypocritical nature of some people. If the government implemented a community renovation project in your neighborhood where you could get $10,000 to improve your house, you'd take the money.....anyone of us would take it. There would be none of your BS "tax money is better off going to schools and roads" coming out of your mouth then because being selfless is a noble idea as long as you don't have to do it.

I'll bet your immediate response will be "but, but, but, JR is already rich." Having money doesn't obligate you to turn down public funds or opportunities to earn more money by using public funds.

If you want to complain that's fine, complain about the officials that approved the public money but complaining because a man took the funds that were made available is hypocritical. You would have taken it as well.

Archived