• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A story about JR from a former player.

Jeremy Igo

Yep.  The stadium being financed with PSLs was done specifically so that the stadium could be built without using public money.

But hey, none of that matters, right?

Fortunately the Public wasn't forced to write checks for large sums of money that lined JR's pockets for the right to purchase a ticket to attend a Panther game.

I love a happy ending.

No.  Let's question your understanding of what you're reading.

Labor negotiations got contentious.  Wow.  There's a shock.

You've still got pretty much nothing proving that Richardson did something underhanded.  And the supposed "tanked season" argument is a silly one given that as soon as the lockout was over he had Hurney paying out ridiculous contracts to numerous players.

And I'm still waiting for any actual evidence of the supposed threat to move the team.

so you proved my point on the whole tanking season. he decided to tighten the wallet and let 9 starters walk away for free including arguably the best one in franchise history, but immediately after the lock out ended he decided to spend like a moron and make every single one of his players the highest paid at their position. so your going to tell me he just had a change of heart about spending from one year to another, or as the NY TImes article stated he couldn't spend money the year before because he would lose all his leverage for the NFL. 

and you are questioning my reading comprehension? i am way past the point of explaining the moving of the team point, you clearly aren't comprehending. you have it set in your heart the JR would never do you any wrong so no point in arguing that fact. we will just go based off your quotes you provided after the city of Charlotte approved of the deal. 

first off lets not pretend like we let Kris Jenkins go. he had enough of jerry richardson and this organization and threatened to retire if he wasn't traded. and Julius Peppers is a Hall of Famer. did you watch the Packer Cowboy game the other day? he dominated. the first year after being let go for free he was an all pro. the next 2 years he had 11 and 11.5 sacks respectively. he had a down year in 2013 and is playing extremely well this year. and even in his down year i think he had 8 or 9 sacks not sure. so at the very worst he has had 1 all pro year and 3 very good years out of his 5 he hasn't been in carolina.

We offered him more money than he accepted in Chicago. How is that proof of being cheap and not wanting to keep good players?

Of course we all understand that PSL's are a terrific way to leverage small personal investments to ensure sell out games regardless of the performance of the team, right?

Right?

Of course we also all understand that without the PSL system there wouldn't be a Carolina Panthers, right?

Right?

haha so you are giving me quotes from him after the deal was approved? what the hell was he going to say? "I had every intention of moving this team out of Charlotte, but you dumb asses gave me a deal I couldn't refuse." No one said he wanted to move the team out of Charlotte, all that was said was he was holding the city hostage for upgrades while implying the team could be moved.

You might wanna check your facts here, dude.

Story dated November 11, 2012 (Panthers Owner: "I never would want our team to move")

Reports surfaced Sunday that Los Angeles politicians interested in bringing an NFL team back to the city have been courting the Carolina Panthers.

Sunday afternoon, as Carolina hosted the Denver Broncos, Panthers owner Jerry Richardson saw fit to reiterate his commitment to the region.

"It has always been my desire that the Carolinas would be the home of our Panthers," Richardson said in a statement issued by the team. "Nothing has changed. As someone who was born in North Carolina and lived much of my life in South Carolina, I hope that there would be no doubts about my personal devotion to the Carolinas."

Story dated February 8, 2013 (Jerry Richardson says he's not moving the Panthers to Los Angeles)

Panthers owner Jerry Richardson met with members of Charlotte City Council Friday, emerging briefly to tell reporters moving his team isn’t anything he’s interested in.

The Los Angeles scare-tactic reared its head predictably when the team began looking for public money to upgrade Bank of America Stadium, but Richardson denied that was anything he was looking at.

“The process is continuing,” Richardson said, via the Charlotte Observer. “We gave them a report about our trips to Raleigh and we’re continuing to work.”

Asked about the possibility of moving, Richardson said “I never would want our team to move somewhere else. I never said that.”

The vote by the Charlotte City Council to approve the use of public money came in April of 2013 (Charlotte votes to renovate)

The 76-year-old Richardson, who had a heart transplant a few years ago, said the deal was important to assuring the Panthers would stay in Charlotte upon his death.

During a presentation highlighting the deal, city officials said the Panthers would be sold no later than two years after Richardson's death. And there were worries that, without improvements, a new owner would move the team to another market, such as Los Angeles, which doesn't have a NFL team.

Richardson told the council that it was important to keep the Panthers tethered to Charlotte.

"My interest is to guarantee the future of this franchise in the Carolinas. I've made it clear that I would never move the team," he said.

Now, unless you're using a really unusual calendar, November 2012 and February 2013 both came before that vote.

But you've got sources that disprove all this, right?

so you proved my point on the whole tanking season. he decided to tighten the wallet and let 9 starters walk away for free including arguably the best one in franchise history, but immediately after the lock out ended he decided to spend like a moron and make every single one of his players the highest paid at their position. so your going to tell me he just had a change of heart about spending from one year to another, or as the NY TImes article stated he couldn't spend money the year before because he would lose all his leverage for the NFL. 

and you are questioning my reading comprehension? i am way past the point of explaining the moving of the team point, you clearly aren't comprehending. you have it set in your heart the JR would never do you any wrong so no point in arguing that fact. we will just go based off your quotes you provided after the city of Charlotte approved of the deal. 

Actually, I'm pointing up your attempts to spin stuff to say things they don't actually say.

I'm especially looking forward to how you explain that Richardson's statements in November 2012 and February 2013 actually somehow came after the City Council approval that occurred in April 2013, or were actually some incredibly subtle negotiating tactic because the voters understood that he didn't really mean it when he said it.

You might wanna check your facts here, dude.

Story dated November 11, 2012 (Panthers Owner: "I never would want our team to move")

Story dated February 8, 2013 (Jerry Richardson says he's not moving the Panthers to Los Angeles)

The vote by the Charlotte City Council to approve the use of public money came in April of 2013 (Charlotte votes to renovate)

Now, unless you're using a really unusual calendar, November 2012 and February 2013 both came before that vote.

But you've got sources that disprove all this, right?

First of all I never said I personally had sources on this, but hey keep going to that well if you like. Second that is my bad I read the first article wrong that you posted. I still find it laughable that you would think he would publicly come out and say that he wants to move the team. Where there is smoke there is fire and when multiple reports came out and said Jerry Richardson was using that as leverage I am going to tend to believe. I understand that you don't think he can do any wrong and feel the opposite, so we are going to just have to agree to disagree on the fact that Jerry Richardson isn't the best owner in the world. 

Furthermore, without PSL's, there'd be no Giants or Jets. Sorry NYC, you're SOL.

That's just crazy.  But if you was around back when the team was getting formed there was a lot of opposition to tax payer money going to the team.  The PSL's was the answer to that. 

First of all I never said I personally had sources on this, but hey keep going to that well if you like. Second that is my bad I read the first article wrong that you posted. I still find it laughable that you would think he would publicly come out and say that he wants to move the team. Where there is smoke there is fire and when multiple reports came out and said Jerry Richardson was using that as leverage I am going to tend to believe. I understand that you don't think he can do any wrong and feel the opposite, so we are going to just have to agree to disagree on the fact that Jerry Richardson isn't the best owner in the world. 

What's actually more laughable is that you can still suggest he ever threatened to move the team when, in every situation where the topic has come up, he's not only clearly stated that he never wants to do this, but he's actually taken action to keep it from happening.

The hyperbole doesn't help your argument either.  I've never said Richardson is the best owner in the world and if you look back within this very thread, you'll find I've criticized what I see as specific mistakes.

So no, I've never argued that he was perfect.

What I've argued against are the utterly ridiculous emotional stuff like that colossal rant you posted.  What's especially amusing there is that you take Richardson to task for having the NFL shield at midfield while mentioning the Giants Mara as a "real owner", apparently without realizing that Giants stadium also has the NFL shield at midfield.  Oh, and don't bother with the "shared stadium" bit.  They repaint the end zones weekly.  They could repaint midfield if they chose.

Frankly, the whole "he could win the next five Super Bowls and I still wouldn't like him" bit pretty much tells me all I need to know about your reasoning on this topic, and your credibility.

Bottom Line: You based an argument on something you claim happened.  However, no actual evidence exists that it did, and plenty of evidence exists to show that it didn't, yet you still continue to believe it anyway.

Solid reasoning there :unsure:

Furthermore, without PSL's, there'd be no Giants or Jets. Sorry NYC, you're SOL.

Not only was their a lot of opposition to public funding, but the pre-sold PSLs were the reason why the Carolinas got the franchise when virtually no one thought they would during that expansion.

Archived