• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A story about JR from a former player.

Jeremy Igo

I don't actually even have to attack their credibility.  That story doesn't say what you claimed it did.

There's nothing in there saying that Richardson threatened to move the team.  You've got some spin on 'implied blackmail' but even that isn't talking about anything Richardson said. 

And the old "I heard people say it on the radio" argument?  Really? :lol:

Whereas I can produce direct quotes where he's said he never wants the team to move, if this is the best you've got, you've pretty much got nothing to stand on.

yup because Jerry Richardson would come out and tell the public that if they don't give him the money he would move the team. there would be no reason for him to ever come out and say that, so of course he came out and said the opposite.

still waiting for you to acknowledge why you conveniently always leave out the lockout and 2010 season in your defense of Jerry Richardson. is it because you have an agenda like you claim the anti JR people do?

yup because Jerry Richardson would come out and tell the public that if they don't give him the money he would move the team. there would be no reason for him to ever come out and say that, so of course he came out and said the opposite.

still waiting for you to acknowledge why you conveniently always leave out the lockout and 2010 season in your defense of Jerry Richardson. is it because you have an agenda like you claim the anti JR people do?

So regardless of what he actually says, you know what he really means.

Yeah, that's a credible argument :lol:

Do you have some actual links to your lockout claims or were those from things you heard on the radio too?

JR brought in a lot of NFL guys to help him establish this team.

His efforts paid off as the Panthers were the most successful new franchise in the modern era of the NFL.

Unfortunately, shortly there after he had a bad case of nepotism and it took the better part of twenty years to get over it.

However, to JRs credit he did eventually recognized the error of his ways and returned to hiring NFL guys to run the team.

As far as stadiums are concerned, he was the first owner of a NFL team that I know of to utilize PSLs. That idea was key to securing local government and taxpayers support for JRs franchise bid. Without it, opposition for funding a new stadium may have derailed any chance of getting a team for the Carolinas.

Actual quotes (link)

The 76-year-old Richardson, who had a heart transplant a few years ago, said the deal was important to assuring the Panthers would stay in Charlotte upon his death.

During a presentation highlighting the deal, city officials said the Panthers would be sold no later than two years after Richardson's death. And there were worries that, without improvements, a new owner would move the team to another market, such as Los Angeles, which doesn't have a NFL team.

Richardson told the council that it was important to keep the Panthers tethered to Charlotte.

"My interest is to guarantee the future of this franchise in the Carolinas. I've made it clear that I would never move the team," he said.

Boy, sure is obvious from these quotes that the guy's definitely threatening to move the team, huh?

Must all be pure lies, I guess.

So regardless of what he actually says, you know what he really means.

Yeah, that's a credible argument :lol:

Do you have some actual links to your lockout claims or were those from things you heard on the radio too?

so everything reported in the media is now completely false these day? ah got it. we are now going to question the reputation of every single writer who ever said anything bad about jerry richardson. every writer who ever wrote something that was positive about jerry richardson will have their reputation questioned. funny how you jump down everyones throats who question JR, but you have no problem questioning everyone else. you've got an excuse for everything so there really is no point in debating with you because in your head everyone is making everything up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/13/jay-feely-jerry-richardson-insults-intelligence-of-players/

Lets question the reputation of an NFL player who was actually in the meetings and spoke to other players in the league like Jay Feely. He can't be right, JR would never. While we are at it lets question the reputation of Greg Rosenthal who wrote the article. No way his facts could be right, JR would never.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-32questions122910

Lets question the reputation Michael Silver and yahoo sports, because JR could never be in the wrong.

"The Panthers owner Jerry Richardson is playing an integral role in the N.F.L.’s labor negotiations. Richardson and his fellow owners are crying poor, saying players are getting too big a piece of the revenue pie. If Richardson were to spend big bucks on player salaries in ’10, he’d be sacrificing his best negotiating argument. And some believe he’d also be betraying his fellow owners.

panthers75.jpg

By this logic, some of those fellow owners have gladly been betraying him. The Panthers either released or opted not to re-sign nine starters from last year’s 8-8 team, and several were snatched up by other teams. Most notable among them was defensive end Julius Peppers, who got a six-year $91.5 million contract ($42 million guaranteed) in Chicago. Following Peppers through the exit doors were quarterback Jake Delhomme, wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad, fullback Brad Hoover, defensive tackle Ma’ake Kemoeatu, linebacker Na’il Diggs and safety Chris Harris."

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/carolina-panthers-2010-season-preview/?_r=0

Lets question the credibility of the NY Times, because JR would never.

I could go on and on wit these links but I won't because you will find every reason for why Richardson did nothing wrong.

JR brought in a lot of NFL guys to help him establish this team.

His efforts paid off as the Panthers were the most successful new franchise in the modern era of the NFL.

Unfortunately, shortly there after he had a bad case of nepotism and it took the better part of twenty years to get over it.

However, to JRs credit he did eventually recognized the error of his ways and returned to hiring NFL guys to run the team.

As far as stadiums are concerned, he was the first owner of a NFL team that I know of to utilize PSLs. That idea was key to securing local government and taxpayers support for JRs franchise bid. Without it, opposition for funding a new stadium may have derailed any chance of getting a team for the Carolinas.

Yep.  The stadium being financed with PSLs was done specifically so that the stadium could be built without using public money.

But hey, none of that matters, right?

Actual quotes (link)

Boy, sure is obvious from these quotes that the guy's definitely threatening to move the team, huh?

Must all be pure lies, I guess.

haha so you are giving me quotes from him after the deal was approved? what the hell was he going to say? "I had every intention of moving this team out of Charlotte, but you dumb asses gave me a deal I couldn't refuse." No one said he wanted to move the team out of Charlotte, all that was said was he was holding the city hostage for upgrades while implying the team could be moved.

not sure how that is all on fox when he had an owner who wouldn't allow his gm to spend money and let julius peppers walk away for free, but we can forget that for a second.

why are we suppose to brush off the fact he trusted Hurney too much and just blame Hurney. JR was an owner in this league for over a decade before he decided to give the keys of the franchise to a PR guy.

Yet how many good years has Peppers or Jenkins have after they walked.  It was the right move to let them go and getting something for either would never have happened.  Peppers was on a Franchise tag  and Jenkins was never healthy enough to get anything. I never said to brush off Hurney that is one of Richardson's down fall is he trusted Hurney to much as far as Fox goes Fox made his bed and was trying to force Richardson to fire him.  Richardson stood his ground and made Fox honor his contract.  When Fox got fired Hurney should have been shown the door and we could have been a few steps ahead in the rebuilding process. 

I'm just asking that he not try and pilfer hundreds of millions of dollars of tax money that could be used for roads and schools so he can build a cathedral of profits for himself and also try to threaten to take the game away so that he can win the pointless game of "He who does the richest wins!" by squeezing money he could never spend away from employees who are probably ruining their brains for life. (Don't believe me? Listen to Phil Simms announce a game).

But hey the guy visits players in the hospital and likes kids and puppies, so whatever. Pilfer away!

By that standard he may be the best owner in the NFL!!

As far as taxpayer money goes this might be the cheapest franchise in the NFL.

Plus he has never threatened to leave, as a matter of fact, smack dab in the middle of negotiations he said he would never move them.

so everything reported in the media is now completely false these day? ah got it. we are now going to question the reputation of every single writer who ever said anything bad about jerry richardson. every writer who ever wrote something that was positive about jerry richardson will have their reputation questioned. funny how you jump down everyones throats who question JR, but you have no problem questioning everyone else. you've got an excuse for everything so there really is no point in debating with you because in your head everyone is making everything up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/13/jay-feely-jerry-richardson-insults-intelligence-of-players/

Lets question the reputation of an NFL player who was actually in the meetings and spoke to other players in the league like Jay Feely. He can't be right, JR would never. While we are at it lets question the reputation of Greg Rosenthal who wrote the article. No way his facts could be right, JR would never.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-32questions122910

Lets question the reputation Michael Silver and yahoo sports, because JR could never be in the wrong.

"The Panthers owner Jerry Richardson is playing an integral role in the N.F.L.’s labor negotiations. Richardson and his fellow owners are crying poor, saying players are getting too big a piece of the revenue pie. If Richardson were to spend big bucks on player salaries in ’10, he’d be sacrificing his best negotiating argument. And some believe he’d also be betraying his fellow owners.

panthers75.jpg

By this logic, some of those fellow owners have gladly been betraying him. The Panthers either released or opted not to re-sign nine starters from last year’s 8-8 team, and several were snatched up by other teams. Most notable among them was defensive end Julius Peppers, who got a six-year $91.5 million contract ($42 million guaranteed) in Chicago. Following Peppers through the exit doors were quarterback Jake Delhomme, wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad, fullback Brad Hoover, defensive tackle Ma’ake Kemoeatu, linebacker Na’il Diggs and safety Chris Harris."

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/carolina-panthers-2010-season-preview/?_r=0

Lets question the credibility of the NY Times, because JR would never.

I could go on and on wit these links but I won't because you will find every reason for why Richardson did nothing wrong.

No.  Let's question your understanding of what you're reading.

Labor negotiations got contentious.  Wow.  There's a shock.

You've still got pretty much nothing proving that Richardson did something underhanded.  And the supposed "tanked season" argument is a silly one given that as soon as the lockout was over he had Hurney paying out ridiculous contracts to numerous players.

And I'm still waiting for any actual evidence of the supposed threat to move the team.

Yet how many good years has Peppers or Jenkins have after they walked.  It was the right move to let them go and getting something for either would never have happened.  Peppers was on a Franchise tag  and Jenkins was never healthy enough to get anything. I never said to brush off Hurney that is one of Richardson's down fall is he trusted Hurney to much as far as Fox goes Fox made his bed and was trying to force Richardson to fire him.  Richardson stood his ground and made Fox honor his contract.  When Fox got fired Hurney should have been shown the door and we could have been a few steps ahead in the rebuilding process. 

first off lets not pretend like we let Kris Jenkins go. he had enough of jerry richardson and this organization and threatened to retire if he wasn't traded. and Julius Peppers is a Hall of Famer. did you watch the Packer Cowboy game the other day? he dominated. the first year after being let go for free he was an all pro. the next 2 years he had 11 and 11.5 sacks respectively. he had a down year in 2013 and is playing extremely well this year. and even in his down year i think he had 8 or 9 sacks not sure. so at the very worst he has had 1 all pro year and 3 very good years out of his 5 he hasn't been in carolina. 

The biggest problem I think people have here is that they can't seem to distinguish between intent and ineptitude.

One of the absolute dumbest arguments I see people making here on a regular basis is the notion that Richardson doesn't care about winning. You really do have to be pretty much an idiot to actually believe that.

Richardson cares plenty about winning. Numerous people have testified to that.

He's just previously failed to demonstrate that he knew how to pull it off.

But instead of recognizing the mistakes he's made (trusting the GM job to a PR guy, meddling at times when he shouldn't have, valuing loyalty over ability, etc) people ascribe some evil intent, like he's really just using the team to make money.

What's especially dumb about this argument is that winning teams always make more money than losing ones, so to believe someone's deliberately losing in the hope of making more money, you really do have to turn your brain off (something a good number of people here seem to have very little trouble doing).

The happy news, though, is that Richardson does seem quite capable of learning. He entrusted the GM search process to someone with way more experience than himself (Ernie Accorsi) and has since effectively given Dave Gettleman the keys to the franchise (if you doubt that, ask Steve Smith). And since doing that, the team has finally made the playoffs two years in a row and shows signs of being competitive for a long time to come.

But hey, screw all that right? Facts be damned. We can't let go of our chosen narratives.

He must just be getting better at hiding his evil :rolleyes:

<applause>

Archived