• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A story about JR from a former player.

Jeremy Igo

As an aside, I meant this thread to be pointed at the personal attacks on JR which are extremely embarrassing. I have no issue with debate on business practices.

The biggest problem I think people have here is that they can't seem to distinguish between intent and ineptitude.

One of the absolute dumbest arguments I see people making here on a regular basis is the notion that Richardson doesn't care about winning.  You really do have to be pretty much an idiot to actually believe that.

Richardson cares plenty about winning.  Numerous people have testified to that.

He's just previously failed to demonstrate that he knew how to pull it off.

But instead of recognizing the mistakes he's made (trusting the GM job to a PR guy, meddling at times when he shouldn't have, valuing loyalty over ability, etc) people ascribe some evil intent, like he's really just using the team to make money. 

What's especially dumb about this argument is that winning teams always make more money than losing ones, so to believe someone's deliberately losing in the hope of making more money, you really do have to turn your brain off (something a good number of people here seem to have very little trouble doing).

The happy news, though, is that Richardson does seem quite capable of learning.  He entrusted the GM search process to someone with way more experience than himself (Ernie Accorsi) and has since effectively given Dave Gettleman the keys to the franchise (if you doubt that, ask Steve Smith).  And since doing that, the team has finally made the playoffs two years in a row and shows signs of being competitive for a long time to come.

But hey, screw all that right?  Facts be damned.  We can't let go of our chosen narratives.

He must just be getting better at hiding his evil :rolleyes:

Because, reasons.

(Awaits link to painfully flawed study showing sports stadiums bring in positive revenue sponsored by groups with major conflicts of interests)

You piss all over every JR praise thread. Why can't we have JR hate threads full of hate and praise threads full of praise. Every person has good qualities and bad. This thread is to appreciate the good.

But instead of recognizing the mistakes he's made (trusting the GM job to a PR guy, meddling at times when he shouldn't have, valuing loyalty over ability, etc) people ascribe some evil intent, like he's really just using the team to make money. 

JR says ouch.

The biggest problem I think people have here is that they can't seem to distinguish between intent and ineptitude.

One of the absolute dumbest arguments I see people making here on a regular basis is the notion that Richardson doesn't care about winning.  You really do have to be pretty much an idiot to actually believe that.

Richardson cares plenty about winning.  Numerous people have testified to that.

What's especially dumb about this argument is that winning teams always make more money than losing ones, so to believe someone's deliberately losing in the hope of making more money, you really do have to turn your brain off (something a good number of people here seem to have very little trouble doing).

The happy news, though, is that Richardson does seem quite capable of learning.  He entrusted the GM search process to someone with way more experience than himself (Ernie Accorsi) and has since effectively given Dave Gettleman the keys to the franchise (if you doubt that, ask Steve Smith).  And since doing that, the team has finally made the playoffs two years in a row and shows signs of being competitive for a long time to come.

But hey, screw all that right?  Facts be damned.  We can't let go of our chosen narratives.

He must just be getting better at hiding his evil :rolleyes:

again people just being overdramatic to drive home a point. no one is saying he is evil, they are saying what you said earlier, he has proven multiple times to be inept. you just pointed out many of his flaws over the years such as trusting the GM job to a PR guy, meddling at times when he shouldn't, and valuing loyalty over ability. he's been the owner from the beginning, so why did it take him so long to finally go out and bring in an Ernie Acorsi to hire Gettleman? it isn't like he was making these mistakes for 5-7 year and finally the switch came on. he has been doing this for 20 years. you find it unfathomable how people could have issues with him entrusting a GM job to a PR guy, and make it seem like we should all just look the other way because after 18 years he finally learned and changed his ways. that is ridiculous. 

i have also gone back and forth with you multiple times over jerry richardson and i find it very interesting when in defending him you always conveniently leave out his whole role with the lockout and tanking a season and setting john fox up for failure. he pretty much gave a big middle finger to all of those paying outrageous money for PSLs. how come 31 other teams didn't go out and tank that season and refuse to spend?

Jerry Richardson is a great guy from all accounts. There is no arguing that. But to an extent some of you guys have to admit he gets a free pass by a good portion of that fan base. Why doesn't Michael Jordan get that free pass? Why don't many other owners in this league get that same free pass? It is mind boggling to me.

again people just being overdramatic to drive home a point. no one is saying he is evil, they are saying what you said earlier, he has proven multiple times to be inept. you just pointed out many of his flaws over the years such as trusting the GM job to a PR guy, meddling at times when he shouldn't, and valuing loyalty over ability. he's been the owner from the beginning, so why did it take him so long to finally go out and bring in an Ernie Acorsi to hire Gettleman? it isn't like he was making these mistakes for 5-7 year and finally the switch came on. he has been doing this for 20 years. you find it unfathomable how people could have issues with him entrusting a GM job to a PR guy, and make it seem like we should all just look the other way because after 18 years he finally learned and changed his ways. that is ridiculous. 

i have also gone back and forth with you multiple times over jerry richardson and i find it very interesting when in defending him you always conveniently leave out his whole role with the lockout and tanking a season and setting john fox up for failure.

As I recall, you told me you could prove he threatened to move the team.

I quoted an article where he stated quite clearly that  he never wanted the team to move, even after he was gone.

I'm waiting for your counter.

i have also gone back and forth with you multiple times over jerry richardson and i find it very interesting when in defending him you always conveniently leave out his whole role with the lockout and tanking a season and setting john fox up for failure.

Fox didn't that all on his own as far as the lost year goes. Biggest problem Richardson had from a outside prospective was he trusted Hurney way to much.  

As I recall, you told me you could prove he threatened to move the team.

I quoted an article where he stated quite clearly that  he never wanted the team to move, even after he was gone.

I'm waiting for your counter.

http://deadspin.com/panthers-owner-was-at-a-closed-council-meeting-on-sta-494087240

i prefer you save us all the time and don't go on a rant about how deadspin isn't reputable. there was also a local Charlotte station that was reporting this as well as Boomer Esiason and Phil Simms who have mentioned it multiple times over the years. i know what you are going to say, how they have no idea what they are talking about and how Jerry Richardson said he had no intentions of moving the team. we got it mr. scott you are a Jerry Richardson fan boy. 

so while you continue to ignore the question of why you  constantly fail to bring up the whole lock out and 2010 season in your defense of Jerry Richardson, i look forward to you instead attacking the credibility of deadspin, boomer, and phil simms, along with myself even though i never claimed to personally have "inside information' on this. but don't let me stand in the way of your agenda. 

Fox didn't that all on his own as far as the lost year goes. Biggest problem Richardson had from a outside prospective was he trusted Hurney way to much.  

not sure how that is all on fox when he had an owner who wouldn't allow his gm to spend money and let julius peppers walk away for free, but we can forget that for a second.

why are we suppose to brush off the fact he trusted Hurney too much and just blame Hurney. JR was an owner in this league for over a decade before he decided to give the keys of the franchise to a PR guy.

http://deadspin.com/panthers-owner-was-at-a-closed-council-meeting-on-sta-494087240

i prefer you save us all the time and don't go on a rant about how deadspin isn't reputable. there was also a local Charlotte station that was reporting this as well as Boomer Esiason and Phil Simms who have mentioned it multiple times over the years. i know what you are going to say, how they have no idea what they are talking about and how Jerry Richardson said he had no intentions of moving the team. we got it mr. scott you are a Jerry Richardson fan boy. 

so while you continue to ignore the question of why you  constantly fail to bring up the whole lock out and 2010 season in your defense of Jerry Richardson, i look forward to you instead attacking the credibility of deadspin, boomer, and phil simms, along with myself even though i never claimed to personally have "inside information' on this. but don't let me stand in the way of your agenda. 

I don't actually even have to attack their credibility.  That story doesn't say what you claimed it did.

There's nothing in there saying that Richardson threatened to move the team.  You've got some spin on 'implied blackmail' but even that isn't talking about anything Richardson said. 

And the old "I heard people say it on the radio" argument?  Really? :lol:

Whereas I can produce direct quotes where he's said he never wants the team to move, if this is the best you've got, you've pretty much got nothing to stand on.

And while we're at it, here's an emotional, ridiculous rant you were particularly proud of...

I am posting this again because I truly believe this. Jerry Richardson is an absolutely awful owner. The panthers could win the next five Super Bowls and I would say they won in spite of him. The fact that he has the nfl shield on the 50 yard line tells you everything you need to know about him. All I hear is how he is so respected around the league by other owners. The reason for that is because they are able to focus on their teams while good ole Jerry will do everything that benefits the NFL for them. Remember this is the same guy explaining pie charts to Super Bowl winners Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. The same guy who teamed up with Jets owner Woody Johnson to keep the ref lockout going. You never want to be teamed up with Woody Johnson in anything. It took real owners like Rooney, Mara, and Kraft to step up and put an end to the ref lockout.

Jerry Richardson pretty much started PSLs which I think should be criminal. I understand many teams do it now but I think they are the worst things to happen to sports. It is funny how all of you who bought PSLs are pretty much responsible for the stadium being built, but this awful owner continues to put the NFL first over you. You guys are responsible for building this stadium but he still had the nerve to threaten the city that the franchise will be moved if they don't fund his stadium. The new Giant stadium used very little city money and the Madison Square Garden renovations were 100 percent paid by owner Dolan. You never heard any of them threatening the city. 

It is also embarrassing how he handled the Greg Hardy situation. He was perfectly fine to play week 1 but once he heard the media outrage he faked cried and now Hardy will never play for the panthers again. The product on the field sucks and they deserve what they are getting. The 49ers stood by Ray McDonald and didn't care less about media pressure . They can claim all they want it was ron Riveras decision but we all know it was the big cat. His fake tears make me sick as everyone with a brain could see right through this clown.

What he did to John Fox his last season here was a joke. I hope Fox can win a Super Bowl with denver because he deserves it after our awesome owner sided up with the NFL and gave john fox and embarrassing roster. The strength of our team back in 2003 was our d line. He ran out both Julius peppers and kris jenkins . I understand that he takes care of his players and does awesome stuff for greg Olsen, but shouldn't all billionaire owners do that? The New York Rangers were in the playoffs this past year and one of their star players mother died. He got him a private jet flew him to montreal and had the whole team there that next weekend. That was a great thing he did but there is probably no owner who gets more crap than James Dolan. So why does JR get excused because he is a nice guy?

It really is a shame that no one in the media will ever challenge him. It is a shame that a majority of the fans are fooled by him and will forever give him a pass for bringing a team to the Carolina's. I have news for you, if it wasn't him eventually someone else would have. This thread is completly correct. The issues start at the top. Jerry Richardson always has been and always will be the problem with this team. We will never win anything with such a pathetic excuse of an owner. You guys built this stadium but will always come second to the shield.

Archived