• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Moving 2nd Round Pick Martin to Safety

prowler2k8

OK then, can anybody point to a specific play where Munnerlyn proved he was a better corner? I honestly can't say that I've seen Munnerlyn do anything really special at CB either.

I should have said "out preformed" because like you I think they have both showed poteniel but nothing special to this point. The only difference is the draft position. I'm personally glad that they are both doing well and both seem to be making the team. Now it looks like the team may want to use Martin to help out at safety with Godfrey going down. Thats good but that doesn't mean that he was doing horrible at corner, just that there is an injury and he has the backgroud to help out.

That's not entirely accurate Mr. President.

Plus there is no way to compare a FS burn to CB one...

out of position..maybe

missed assignment..possible

the guy was a rookie starting 16 games.

burned? Not more than Ken "toast" Lucas...no sir

Im not sure what your definition of burned is, but Godfrey was out of position and missed assignments alot last year. To me, I think thats being "burned" :confused:

I would guess that the majority of the negative comments about Martin playing corner are based on the fact that a 2nd rounder has been out performed, in ways, my a 7th rounder, Munnerlyn.

Seeing how these same fans are the ones always complaining about how we never draft good talent after the first day of the draft they then have to find something to complain about. Thus, Martin gets to be unfairly judged based not on his performance but rather his draft position as compared to other corners. The only reason you don't hear fans complaining about Wilson playing better than Martin is because they already wrote him off as a mistake on the part of the front office and another failure in the later rounds of the draft.

That's the thing, Munnerlyn has not looked better than Martin. All he has over Martin at this point is hype, and the fact that he has exceeded expectations for a seventh round draft pick. Martin is above him on the depth chart, and getting in the game about a quarter before Munnerlyn.

Also, at 4:00...

missed the tackle that resulted in a TD....

But if you notice, he was also chipped by the pulling Guard, so only had one arm to try and make the tackle. It's not like he had a clear shot and just plain missed. It's really stretching it to try and blame Martin for that TD.

Im not sure what your definition of burned is, but Godfrey was out of position and missed assignments alot last year. To me, I think that's being "burned" :confused:

Burned is relative. Safety is a position based more on instinct and ball-hawking skills with solid tackling and no fear. Corners play technique more and are usually on an island with a 1 or 2 reciever. They can get burned because the match up is more one on one. Lots of things go into the mix before a Safety has a one on one matchup (looking off the safety) and its impossible IMO to compare a CB to a FS as far as coverage skills go. Fast defensive minded sure tacklers are safeties in this league. YOU have to add a few more attributes to make the jump to Corner.

I just don't remember it being that bad last year. I know he was not perfect but he was a rookie too. I just don't recall him getting outright owned, burned, toasted, etc. religiously. definitely not more than I saw Lucas being burnt up.

He did seem to get worse to me rather than better and his last three games were far more disconcerting than his first three to me but I am notready to call him a bust just yest. I definitely do not see his natural NFL position being at corner in spite of the success he showed in college there.

We don't want to be the first franchise in NFL history to move regularly toasted (according to you) safeties to corner.

But if you notice, he was also chipped by the pulling Guard, so only had one arm to try and make the tackle. It's not like he had a clear shot and just plain missed. It's really stretching it to try and blame Martin for that TD.

There have been lots of that going on around here. Seems like the fans want to blame somebody and throw him under the bus if everything isn't perfect this season. It's getting ridiculous. But anyway, yest the guy ws chipped. his job is to not get chipped and it cost some pre-season points.

The other team gets paid too.

Come on, he was far from horrible. He played decent most of the season, improved as the year went on, and gave up a few big plays. That is to be expected of a rookie.

he was the definition of horrible last year. ok, he was a rookie and some mistakes can be tolerated....but he was just lost. He also was a big reason Lucas looked so bad late in the season. Sure, we had didn't play toward Lucas' strengths and that was a factor....but a factor was teams knew Lucas had a kid behind him that would not pick up the coverage assignments and some of the plays Lucas was blamed for were b/c Godfrey wasn't doing his job.

Lucas is the # 1 CB in Seattle right now and I project he will have a season that will leave us asking where was he last season.......and the answer will be our lame defensive schemes and Godfrey.

You know how they say if you have 2 QB's fighting for the starting job, you really dont have 1? Well I wonder if you have a bunch of CB/S's then you really dont have any good corners or safeties....hmmmmm.
Did you really just post that? Seriously?

If so, then the answer is: you have a terrific secondary and out-freaking-standing special teams.

he was the definition of horrible last. ok, he was a rookie and some mistake scan be tolerated....but he was lost. He also was a big reason Lucas looked so bad late in the season. Sure, we had didn't play toward Lucas' strengths and that was a factor....but a factor was teams knew Lucas had a kid behind him that would not pick up the coverage assignments and some of the plays Lucas was blamed for were b/c Godfrey wasn't doing his job.

Lucas is the # 1 CB in Seattle right now and I project he will have a season that will leave us asking where was he last season.......and the answer will be our lame defensive schemes.

schemes yes, nobody will argue that. But a rookie safety will not ever be the blame for a pro bowl TE getting straight toasted down the sideline in one on one coverage with no rubs or interference.

No way in hell was any of that Godfrey's fault and no way in hell is his lack of ability and/or performance the reason why the DB's sucked ass.

Not the way I see it anyway.

Yeah, that wasn't exactly a great play by Martin, but it wasn't exactly horrible or proof that he's not fit to carry Munnerlyn's jock either. It's way too early to be calling any draft pick a bust, or to proclaim any rookie to be a superstar right now. Even Everrette and Goodson still have a lot to prove.

Shoot, I hope Munnerlyn turns out to be the greatest 7th round pick in the history of the NFL, but I don't see any real evidence that he is head and shoulders above Martin as a CB right now. If he proves it later though, more power to him.

Archived