• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Moving 2nd Round Pick Martin to Safety

prowler2k8

I'm down on Godfrey b/c he was a big reason we sucked so bad last season in the secondary. Preseason was just confirming what we saw last year but adding new worries to the list.

if he ends up on IR b/c of a broken hand....then it will be b/c Fox thinks he wasn't good enough before the injury occured.

don't be an idiot. if he ends up on IR b/c of a broken hand, then it will be b/c he has a broken hand and cannot play for at least a couple of months.

Godfrey just looks like a cornerback to me. I agree with the assessment that (right now, mind you) Godfrey does not have the physical tools needed to play on an island. He can't dole out punishment, and he can't tackle a WR, much less a 230lb RB, when he has a full head of steam. A safety has to make that tackle. I think he is better suited at CB, at least right now

I guess we'll see soon enough. Does not matter to me either way.

I like the move as well!! Like a lot of you guys already said, I think he should keep S. Martin at Safety and move C. Godfrey to his more comfortable position of Cornerback. C. Godfrey can be the nickel. Just seems more sensible to me. I love Coach Fox but sometimes it seems like he makes questionable decisions!

Martin looked horrible at CB. If he is better at Safety, keep him there.

Specifically, what happened to make Martin look horrible? Can you point to one single play where he was completely out of postion and gave up a TD or or missed an easy tackle when he wasn't being blocked?

Specifically, what happened to make Martin look horrible? Can you point to one single play where he was completely out of postion and gave up a TD or or missed an easy tackle when he wasn't being blocked?

I would guess that the majority of the negative comments about Martin playing corner are based on the fact that a 2nd rounder has been out performed, in ways, my a 7th rounder, Munnerlyn.

Seeing how these same fans are the ones always complaining about how we never draft good talent after the first day of the draft they then have to find something to complain about. Thus, Martin gets to be unfairly judged based not on his performance but rather his draft position as compared to other corners. The only reason you don't hear fans complaining about Wilson playing better than Martin is because they already wrote him off as a mistake on the part of the front office and another failure in the later rounds of the draft.

I'm down on Godfrey b/c he was a big reason we sucked so bad last season in the secondary. Preseason was just confirming what we saw last year but adding new worries to the list.

The biggest reason our secondary looked so bad last year is because our pass rush sucked. Godfrey is a perfectly competent starter for us, and for everyone to say "Let's move him back to CB where he's more comfortable!" is slightly ignorant. He has never played CB in the NFL and was progressing just fine at Safety.

The biggest reason our secondary looked so bad last year is because our pass rush sucked. Godfrey is a perfectly competent starter for us, and for everyone to say "Let's move him back to CB where he's more comfortable!" is slightly ignorant. He has never played CB in the NFL and was progressing just fine at Safety.

He was horrible last year. He got burned more than Lucas.

I specifically remember in the first game, martin getting toasted on one play, then on the next all the receiver did was run an in pattern and martin went outside and had to completely turn around after the reciever caught an easy wide open pass. Second game he was a little bit better but not much. Still was getting beat.

Also, at 4:00...

missed the tackle that resulted in a TD....

He was horrible last year. He got burned more than Lucas.

That's not entirely accurate Mr. President.

Plus there is no way to compare a FS burn to CB one...

out of position..maybe

missed assignment..possible

the guy was a rookie starting 16 games.

burned? Not more than Ken "toast" Lucas...no sir

Archived