• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Moving 2nd Round Pick Martin to Safety

prowler2k8

I don't know why people are so sure that Martin will be better at safety than Godfrey, but I also don't understand where people are getting this notion that Martin was struggling at CB. Were people expecting him to come here and get 5 pick sixes in 2 pre season games, and assume he's struggling because he didn't? From what I've seen, Martin has been solid, but not spectacular as a rookie corner, which is pretty much all I ever expected from him at this point.

^ That was why he was projected at Safety.

exactly. he was hidden at safety because he has the instincts to play DB and maybe even corner at the college level but is/was missing some of the hardware many feel is necessary to play on an island in the NFL.

translation if no NFL GM thought he could play safety he would have been drafted much later or not drafted at all/ the fact that he was drafted in the earlier rounds for a position that is not what he played in college suggests what I stated above. He fit but not perfectly.

The labels don't always transfer from college to NFL as some posters in this thread are hung up on.

I don't know why people are so sure that Martin will be better at safety than Godfrey, but I also don't understand where people are getting this notion that Martin was struggling at CB. Were people expecting him to come here and get 5 pick sixes in 2 pre season games, and assume he's struggling because he didn't? From what I've seen, Martin has been solid, but not spectacular as a rookie corner, which is pretty much all I ever expected from him at this point.

It's because he was being compared to a 7th round pick, who has made more "big plays" throughout camp and preseason. Couldn't tell you who is more technically sound, though.

Carolina Huddle...home of knee-jerk conclusion-jumping reactionary extremist revolutionaries.

I think Martin is more of a ball hawk than Godfrey will ever be, but i dont think Godfrey is a bust.. i like Godfrey a lot, hope he returns this year..

Agreed. Everyone is down on Godfrey after a couple sub-par preseason performances. Well none of our starters outside of D-Will have played well at all in the preseason. Godfrey will be fine when he comes back and I think when all is said and done he will be an excellent Safety.

which game?

I specifically remember in the first game, martin getting toasted on one play, then on the next all the receiver did was run an in pattern and martin went outside and had to completely turn around after the reciever caught an easy wide open pass. Second game he was a little bit better but not much. Still was getting beat.

Godfrey just looks like a cornerback to me. I agree with the assessment that (right now, mind you) Godfrey does not have the physical tools needed to play on an island. He can't dole out punishment, and he can't tackle a WR, much less a 230lb RB, when he has a full head of steam. A safety has to make that tackle. I think he is better suited at CB, at least right now

Agreed. Everyone is down on Godfrey after a couple sub-par preseason performances. Well none of our starters outside of D-Will have played well at all in the preseason. Godfrey will be fine when he comes back and I think when all is said and done he will be an excellent Safety.

I'm down on Godfrey b/c he was a big reason we sucked so bad last season in the secondary. Preseason was just confirming what we saw last year but adding new worries to the list.

if he ends up on IR b/c of a broken hand....then it will be b/c Fox thinks he wasn't good enough before the injury occured.

Archived