• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Moving 2nd Round Pick Martin to Safety

prowler2k8

I like the move of trying Martin out at S and when Godfrey comes back to move him to CB. If Fox wants a CB or a S he should draft one instead of tweaking guys and moving them for there 1st snaps at the pro level. imo.

Amen to that! Since Godfrey was a CB in college, it should be a no-brainer. And with Captain Munnerlyn showing promise, as someone mentioned, this will keep us from having to draft another one if Marshall leaves in FA next offseason. I think Martin will develop into a quality FS if given the chance.

So is Wesly still playing at safety? I wonder if when they said they were working Wesly out at safety they were saying that if needed Wesly would be fimilar with the position. That would have allowed him to be a backup at two positions and possibly say a roster spot for someone else.

So as of now the secondary would be?...

CB - Gamble, Marshall, Wilson, Munnerlyn

S - Harris, Martin, Teal, Wesley (also a option at CB?)

Salley needs to be cut and I hope VV doesn't make the team.

I don't think Godfrey has the cover skills to play CB in the NFL. That is why hw was hidden at safety.

What are you basing this on? Not trying to flame you (and you could be right), but just want to know what you base this statement on. Godfrey snagged 13 INT's his senior year at Iowa IIRC. I know the Big Ten is not known for churning out top level WRs, but why would his production not translate to success in the NFL? :confused:

i have no problem at all with this move. with the emergence of the capt and cj wilson's growth, there was little need for martin at CB but with the problems we have at safety he's pretty much a necessity.

if he can tackle he's an instant improvement. i'm not expecting much but i think he may very well be more suited for safety. usually that is where CBs go when they lose their effectiveness at corner anyway.

This is great! This is the way it should've been after we drafted him. It just pisses me off we wait until now to do it. I mean seriously, think how far along Martin would be now if we started him out at Safety. If he proves to be better than Godfrey, move Godfrey to nickel.

What are you basing this on? Not trying to flame you (and you could be right), but just want to know what you base this statement on. Godfrey snagged 13 INT's his senior year at Iowa IIRC. I know the Big Ten is not known for churning out top level WRs, but why would his production not translate to success in the NFL? :confused:

He is not the best on the ball defender and the knock against him being a shut down corner is his size and the fact that this hips don't flip as easily as some others.

This is great! This is the way it should've been after we drafted him. It just pisses me off we wait until now to do it. I mean seriously, think how far along Martin would be now if we started him out at Safety. If he proves to be better than Godfrey, move Godfrey to nickel.

I'm not saying that it was an ideal situation but having him go through training camp as a corner could pay off now that he is switching to safety. I know the two positions are completey different but as far as being a "ball hawk" free safety is concerned, going through a lot of the corner drills may end up helping him more than it hurts him.

He is not the best on the ball defender and the knock against him being a shut down corner is his size and the fact that this hips don't flip as easily as some others.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I wonder how much of his flaws would be correctable with coaching, minus the physical limitations, of course?

Archived