• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Byron Bell As A Garden Gnome

chknwing

This play absolutly had me pissed.  This is the biggest game of the year for Carolina and Bell decides not to show up.  I've watched this play so many times and cant figure out why the guy didnt even touch a defender. Hell it looks as if he just backs up out of the way.  Jesus Christ man, at least make them go around you.  This guy better not be with the panthers next year.

111vx4O.gif

That is what he was supposed to do.  You always, well most of the time, let the edge rusher free which even though he slid inside of Bell, he still was.  Cam was supposed to read him.  Had Cam kept it, Bell (hopefully) climbs up to the LB and that is a nice sized run.

He didn't "decide" to not show up, he just isn't very good. He has no business playing in an NFL playoff game and it's on our front office that he is forced into a role he is not capable of. It's like NASA calling me up and telling me to pack my bags they need me to go up to the international space station to do some repairs. It's not fair to him and it's not fair to our team. 

That is what he was supposed to do.  You always, well most of the time, let the edge rusher free which even though he slid inside of Bell, he still was.  Cam was supposed to read him.  Had Cam kept it, Bell (hopefully) climbs up to the LB and that is a nice sized run.

I cant believe you just blamed Cam for that.  Bell flat out missed his assignment and went out instead of in.  week 19, you dont miss assignments.  You block the defense, regardless of who it is.  The defender isnt gonna run to him so he can block.

From Cam's post-game comments, he said that the communication for protection must've been missed. Not sure if Cam's being a good leader and deflecting the blame or if there's more truth to that. Seattle's loud and watching the play shows that Bell's head swiveled to the strong side at snap and then immediately looks confused and standing like he's waiting at a bus stop.... something we all have seen way too much this year.

Bottom line, no way Bell is starting for this team next year. He might not even be resigned, but if he is, he needs to strictly be a backup. That play was yet another example of incompetence for Bell.  It's almost too easy to point out his flaws.

I cant believe you just blamed Cam for that.  Bell flat out missed his assignment and went out instead of in.  week 19, you dont miss assignments.

I don't see how, without knowing everything behind the scenes, you can say it was Bell's fault based off how the read option works.  You allow the edge rusher (DE or OLB) free and the QB is supposed to read him.  Unless we are missing something, then looking at that play, blaming Bell is wrong.  This is coming from someone who from Day 1 knew Bell wasn't a good player.

It is an odd play design with Olsen going out for a route and Bell going into pass pro like it was supposed to be a draw play although you can tell by the handoff it was a read option.

This is what happens when you have an OC trying to run a finesse college offense when he doesn't know how to design it up well.

It's a read option to the left. You never block the edge rusher on a read option on the side the QB has the option to run to. The QB reads the rusher; if he crashes in, like he did here, you keep the ball; if he stays wide, you hand it off. 

Cam made the wrong read and should have held onto the ball when the rusher had obviously committed to crashing in, then he would have had Bell out front. 

Bell did exactly what he was supposed to do.

Bell still blows however, but this isn't the play to prove it with. 

Archived